• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Green Bottle blu not eating

Reb67

I have a Green Bottle Blue Trantula, she Molted about a month ago... She is not eating now, when I place food in tank , she moves away from it or curls up over herself.
What can I do ?
Is it stress ??

Reb67

Blu is about 3.5 to 4 in diameter - I got her last Christmas (2021) ass gift , I feed 2 small Mealworms (Mon & Thur) bi weekly, 1 cricket Medium size(Wed). I alternate weeks so that I am not over feeding.. Temp in tank/room ranges from 78 °-86° f from early am to night. depending on weather outside..(no really cold weather yet) mostly around 80''s
Her last Molt was a few weeks ago, 3-4 ? will check calendar, just discovered it's a female .
I will send pics once I am home again
When I try to put food in tank she pulls herself into a ball sorta.. like she is trying to hide, but doesn't run away .
I wait 2 week s after molting to allow her fangs to harden... Normally she attacks food when placed inside

I will post pics later today
Would appreciate any & all help

Reb67

I checked one of my calendar s , Blu Molted about 9/17/22, after which I removed molt (9/19/22). I then did the sexing(f) & posted molt post on 9/22/22
As for husbandry, I m not sure what info your asking for ?

Reb67

IMG_20220922_184519288.jpg
. Molt pic

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
I wanted to see pics of her to make sure its not mature male(they refuse food regularly).Yours is a gril indeed.So thats out of the window.lol
By husbandry I mean how often you feed,do you put water in substrate, have you rehoused her lately or any changes to enclosure. Did you break loads of web when you got the moult ......
Just more information on how you care for her to be able to make more informed suggestions otherwise is just guessing game as it may be many things why is not earing yet and she is behaving the way she is.
There maybe nothing to worry about as some tarantulas need longer to recover from moult.I have few that I won't even attempt to feed for 4-5 weeks while they do their thing.
Send some enclosure pics when you can too.
Regards Konstantin

Reb67

Not a problem,
I haven't rehoused yet or cleaned her enclosure, I have medium size salad dressing cup for water, & I spritz her enclosure about once every 2-3 months(last was July), I have overfilled water cup a couple times as well, she is a fluent Webber, no I did not destroy any web .normally she molts inside her skull hide) this time outside in open area(I'll show area when I send picture)
I planned on cleaning tank in December, Husband is not a fan,(even though she is on his desk & he bought her for me) He doesn't want to be home when I do it.lol
More pic in about 2 1/2 hours .

Reb67

Here is some pics of Blu & tank IMG_20221013_154333118.jpgIMG_20221013_154248588.jpgIMG_20221013_154416701.jpg
This is How I find Blu 1stpic is what happens when I put food in tank &, lately(2nd pic in tank), I don't really bother her, 3rd pic is her web matt Infront of the skull hide..that's where the Molt was..

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi there.
Enclosure looks good.
Its not too moist(this species doesn't like moisture).There is good amount of webbing.Your husbandry sounds up to the mark.
About cleaning the enclosure.
With tarantulas there is no need to change substrate at all.In most cases the cleaning will be removing of any boluses and uneaten pray items,cleaning the water dish and wiping the sides.In case of GBB enclosure even less so as its usually dry enclosure and sll remains will be dry and not festering and webbed up.If for some reason the tarantula feels the need for more space will tare down webbing and redoit on its own and make room for itself.That is the case if spider is not too big for the enclosure then rehouse is on the cards There is absolutely no need to disturb the spider for any other reson as any major changes will stress them out and they will need time to settle in.
Now in regards of your spider.
Unfortunately there is not much you can do if it was a bad moult.As said before your care is adequate and whatever is going on its our of your hands.After moult tarantulas will need to replace the lost fluids and sometimes they will NOT go to the waterdish. You need to make sure there is water available near her.Drip some water on webs near her so it puddles on the web Do not spray it ,you want nice small puddle right next (under her) to give her option of a drink.Sometimes if tarantulas are dehydrated they cant walk to get to the water due to how their bodies function (think hydraulics)
Few hours after you do that you can prekill a cricket and place it near her and leave it as some spiders will not eat shortly after the enclosure is disturbed.I recommended doing that in evening and hopefully she will have it in next 24-48h if not remove it and try again a week later .
Apart from ensuring there is water available there is nothing else you can do so do not disturb it by poking and checking on her too often.Unfortunately sometimes even if you do everything right some losses may occur.
Fingers crossed for your T to recover.
Regards Konstantin

Tarino Palma

I hope your girl will be ok. Such beautiful creatures. I don’t really have anything to add - everyone covered it all…I would just stress the importance of making water available anyway you can without disturbing her. And dropping a little water on the web is great so she doesn’t have to go far to get it. If it will eat prekilled prey, it can get some fluids that way too. Cut the head off a big juicy super worm / mealworm and place it nearby - again without disturbing her. That’s just what I do. I have even had the spider gently move the prey away - all you can do is try. Good luck to you and your GBB.

Reb67

I added some water to areas near her, small little puddles, unfortunately where she has located herself most of it soaks into substrate via water path, I'm not sure if she will eat pre killed prey, haven't had to try with her, she had been eating great prior to this last molt. its very hard not to pick her up & put droplet on her mouth, ( I won't, I understand it would Stress her out) I'm a Mom, & Although she is one not of my Children or Fur babies( sorta,is kinda) I want her to be ok... nor do I want her to suffer.
I appreciate your help & am Grateful Thank you
Will Keep you updated

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
flipping her over and putting water on her mouth parts is sth that you may have to do in near future but I personally will hold off atm as you said she is not currently curling up.Wait a day or two and if other things are not doing it and she is still unresponsive you can try that then.
Whatever you do do not take her out of the enclosure in so called ICU it will do more harm than good in regards of this species.
Regards Konstantin

SullivanC

She seems to be doing okay from the pictures you provided :) you can keep her substrate dry most of the time with occasional soaking on the side to provide extra humidity and keep a full water dish at all times :)

Reb67

She seems to be doing okay from the pictures you provided :) you can keep her substrate dry most of the time with occasional soaking on the side to provide extra humidity and keep a full water dish at all times :)
Thank you for your support, the last pictures are earlier in her life, the pictures at beginning of post are what she is looking like now,
She appears to not have any strength, won't move, won't eat.. I really am afraid she isn't going to make it...

Latest posts