• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Difficult choice :(

Wg25

3 Year Member
Hey guys
So after a few years of dating , me and my girlfriend are finally getting our own place.I have always been staying with my mother who loves animals and didn't care about my little T collection. But sadly my girlfriend is very afraid and hates spiders! Hehe Anyway....yesterday we had a chat about moving etc... and then she mentioned that she doesn't want any tarantulas in the new house. After arguing for hours we settled on only keeping 3 :'( :'( :'(
I already decided that I have to keep my A.geniculata since that's the very first T I ever bought. But choosing the other 2 is soo hard for me. I've had all my T's over a year and love them all...
Just wanna hear your opinion on the best 2 that you think I should keep. I don't know the sex of any of them....think its still to soon to tell.
I have an A.geniculata
B.smithi
B.vagans
B.albopilosum
B.boehmei
G.Rosea
C.fasciatum
Wish I could keep them....was actually planning on getting a few more next month. But I'm sure I will have a nice big collection sometime next year! :) Just need to settle in nicely and convince my girlfriend that tarantulas aren't as scary as she thinks! Haha.
Thanks! ",

JC1

3 Year Member
My wife was exactly like that, until she accepted it. she HATES spiders, but loves my tarantula! if she can love my spider, anyone can! about the ones you must choose..... i cant say... really.... its a pitty. she should support you in what you like and do. you have to keep up with her stuff as well you know.... so if the spiders go, her nail treatments go! easy as that! put your foot down mate! good luck! fight for your T's!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The way I see it is that if she knew about your Ts then she must know how much they mean to you and have accepted that they came too as part of the package. If she makes you get rid then it will always be between you. Not a good basis for any relationship.

Wg25

3 Year Member
My wife was exactly like that, until she accepted it. she HATES spiders, but loves my tarantula! if she can love my spider, anyone can! about the ones you must choose..... i cant say... really.... its a pitty. she should support you in what you like and do. you have to keep up with her stuff as well you know.... so if the spiders go, her nail treatments go! easy as that! put your foot down mate! good luck! fight for your T's!
Thanks for the support brother! Appreciate it a lot! She is just so hard headed. It's literally impossible to convince her about anything she has already set her mind on. I had my T's before whe even met. But I guess I'll have to make a few sacrifices... : (

Wg25

3 Year Member
The way I see it is that if she knew about your Ts then she must know how much they mean to you and have accepted that they came too as part of the package. If she makes you get rid then it will always be between you. Not a good basis for any relationship.
I feel th same way Enn49....but the way I see it....i'll just get rid of 4 and then over the next few months i'll slowly build my collection again. I hoped to actually build my collection to 15 or 20...but I know I will one day. I think after we settle and I tell her that this is literally my favourite hobby in the world! She will maybe losen up. But she is so scared she won't even be in a room with tarantulas. Guess I'll have to get my own T room soon ; )

JC1

3 Year Member
its a pet. explain to her that its not a dog or a cat that needs attention and cleaning after... its a clean pet, and it wont come out. its too afraid to come out anyway. its the truth. Good luck! im still trying to raise my first! curlyhair.... its in molting stage.... or slow death stage... keep your fingers crossed... its my only baby!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I feel th same way Enn49....but the way I see it....i'll just get rid of 4 and then over the next few months i'll slowly build my collection again. I hoped to actually build my collection to 15 or 20...but I know I will one day. I think after we settle and I tell her that this is literally my favourite hobby in the world! She will maybe losen up. But she is so scared she won't even be in a room with tarantulas. Guess I'll have to get my own T room soon ; )

Could you leave a few at your mothers for now instead of getting rid? I know what it's like to be scared of spiders, I still hate loose ones in the house but tarantulas are different. I only got into the hobby because my son had always wanted one and eventually persuaded me to let him have one and then I realised how fascinating they are and bought one myself (he has 2 now but I have 42). I'm sure she'll come round in time

Wg25

3 Year Member
Being one of the most experienced people on the forum...I'd really love to hear which 3 out of the 7 you prefer Enn49??

Wg25

3 Year Member
its a pet. explain to her that its not a dog or a cat that needs attention and cleaning after... its a clean pet, and it wont come out. its too afraid to come out anyway. its the truth. Good luck! im still trying to raise my first! curlyhair.... its in molting stage.... or slow death stage... keep your fingers crossed... its my only baby!
Thanks JC1! And I'm sure your curly is just fine...I've had one for just under a year and man they are soo beautiful! Great choice for a first T!

Wg25

3 Year Member
Could you leave a few at your mothers for now instead of getting rid? I know what it's like to be scared of spiders, I still hate loose ones in the house but tarantulas are different. I only got into the hobby because my son had always wanted one and eventually persuaded me to let him have one and then I realised how fascinating they are and bought one myself (he has 2 now but I have 42). I'm sure she'll come round in time
Wow hahaha what an awesome story!!! What I would give to see your collection! And no unfortunately not. I move into my new place on the 21st of this month and my mother then moves exactly a week after me!!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Being one of the most experienced people on the forum...I'd really love to hear which 3 out of the 7 you prefer Enn49??

I'm no where near experienced, only been in the hobby 20 months, but thank you for the compliment.

You say you're keeping the A.geniculata as it was your first T and I 'll go with that. I'd also keep the B.albopilosum, just because I find them adorable, and also the C.fasciatum because they are so pretty. In my opinion the albo would be the one to win your girlfriend round with its placid nature.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow hahaha what an awesome story!!! What I would give to see your collection! And no unfortunately not. I move into my new place on the 21st of this month and my mother then moves exactly a week after me!!

That's a shame. Have you any friends that would take them in for a while if you called in to feed etc?

Wg25

3 Year Member
I'm no where near experienced, only been in the hobby 20 months, but thank you for the compliment.

You say you're keeping the A.geniculata as it was your first T and I 'll go with that. I'd also keep the B.albopilosum, just because I find them adorable, and also the C.fasciatum because they are so pretty. In my opinion the albo would be the one to win your girlfriend round with its placid nature.
Sorry Enn49! Just assumed you were an old timer when it comes to tarantulas hehe you always give such good advice....you clearly picked up a ton of kwoledge in those 20 months! But thanks a lot! Always appreciate your advice!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry Enn49! Just assumed you were an old timer when it comes to tarantulas hehe you always give such good advice....you clearly picked up a ton of kwoledge in those 20 months! But thanks a lot! Always appreciate your advice!

I might be old but not an old-timer lol. I think Ts are much like the snakes I used to keep and breed, you can never know everything about them, always something new to learn and that's half the fun. One thing I will always do is to give advice to a complete beginner if I can because I know what it's like to be there and I hate those people who treat novices as dirt..

Wg25

3 Year Member
Without going into politics and so forth, I really wouldn't give any of them up. If you take someone, you take all of them, even the bad parts. However.. if you're set on that action I would take anything new world and docile.
Thanks for the advice Roo! Will keep it in mind!

Dr Mengele

3 Year Member
I believe in compromising and sharing.. My Last GF didnt care for my Parrots, My 6 year old DYH Amazon " Zoe" came took great offense when Tammy came over and sat with me on the couch or cuddled. My Parrots are 'Flighted'. One time Zoe flew over very quietly and climbed up the couch, and Bit the crap out of Tammy. It didnt require stitches but was pretty bruised. I felt Horrible and Put Zoe in her cage while Zoe Literally laughed like a Human about it. Yea, Zoe is easily as smart as a 4 or 5 year old and has a very good sense of humor. She asks for food by name, says "no" when she doesnt want to do something she doesn't want to do AND thinks Im the "Alpha" in our "flock" that she needs to get my "Back"...I raised her from a very young bird and had to Hand feed her formula and all that. Anyhoo, Tammy was VERY upset and said something along the Lines of " If we ever moved in together that Zoe and my other Amazon "Murphy" had to 'GO" !! ..... I told Her this exactly... "These Parrots are My children" and that if she ever made me choose between them and her again that that was a simple choice for me".. I left it hanging and got Tammy a Band Aid and her coat and showed her the door.... She stormed off and a few days later called me and said she "didnt have any right" to ask that of me... Now when Tammy comes over i put my birdies in tier cage with snacks or they go into their play room ....

Not a sermon, just a thought!

Wg25

3 Year Member
Th
I believe in compromising and sharing.. My Last GF didnt care for my Parrots, My 6 year old DYH Amazon " Zoe" came took great offense when Tammy came over and sat with me on the couch or cuddled. My Parrots are 'Flighted'. One time Zoe flew over very quietly and climbed up the couch, and Bit the crap out of Tammy. It didnt require stitches but was pretty bruised. I felt Horrible and Put Zoe in her cage while Zoe Literally laughed like a Human about it. Yea, Zoe is easily as smart as a 4 or 5 year old and has a very good sense of humor. She asks for food by name, says "no" when she doesnt want to do something she doesn't want to do AND thinks Im the "Alpha" in our "flock" that she needs to get my "Back"...I raised her from a very young bird and had to Hand feed her formula and all that. Anyhoo, Tammy was VERY upset and said something along the Lines of " If we ever moved in together that Zoe and my other Amazon "Murphy" had to 'GO" !! ..... I told Her this exactly... "These Parrots are My children" and that if she ever made me choose between them and her again that that was a simple choice for me".. I left it hanging and got Tammy a Band Aid and her coat and showed her the door.... She stormed off and a few days later called me and said she "didnt have any right" to ask that of me... Now when Tammy comes over i put my birdies in tier cage with snacks or they go into their play room ....

Not a sermon, just a thought!
Thanks for sharing Dr Mengele! : )

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have to agree with Roo and JC1, stand your ground man. It's a brutal thing to say, but I'll say it anyway. She's just a girlfriend, women come and go, saturday through sunday, monday... monday through sunday, yo. lmao...I'm really sorry, I couldn't resist...But seriously, if you need to sell them, hit me up. My choices would be the genic, the curly and the vagans. Love vagans :) Want to sell me the boehmei? ;):D