• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria/Pokie Club

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They can do it,and still fall flat on their faces. Like so many animals insects etc that have gone extinct,in South Africa we have strict laws etc,yet they are just continuing killing off rhinos. My point on this is,the hobby or pet owners aren't the ones killing off tarantula numbers but humans who deforest or develop areas for settlements as like poachers or collectors of wild caught specimens. If they had a breeding programme for say Tarantulas that actually supplied the pet trade,they could stop wild caught collection and make money to push back into nature conservation.
I agree with what you're saying, I never sad I didn't. I just don't see what's stopping them from placing the ban.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with what you're saying, I never sad I didn't. I just don't see what's stopping them from placing the ban.

Nothing stops them,nothing probably will. They will just cause the extinction of yet another animal,and slowly quietly back away as if they've done nothing wrong. You should see how some tarantulas are killed off,due to the fact its seen as a food source. So in the end,blame the evil hobbyist but in all logic that's so far fetched as saying people can live in harmony with nature.

Logan D

3 Year Member
like in the off topic chit chat that guy who has his asian trip photos and theres the pic of the live ts awaiting to be cooked then a picture of them cooked i dont see how a really hobbyist of tarantulas could look and tht yet take a photo and then post it on here it fills me with rage all those ts dying so people could eat them just cause it a delicacy or whatever and im just thinking how would those people like it if i kept them in a container where they couldnt escape then fried them up and fed them to someone just cause its a delicacy srry just kinnda really steamed about tht theres alternatives but y ts i just dont know

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
like in the off topic chit chat that guy who has his asian trip photos and theres the pic of the live ts awaiting to be cooked then a picture of them cooked i dont see how a really hobbyist of tarantulas could look and tht yet take a photo and then post it on here it fills me with rage all those ts dying so people could eat them just cause it a delicacy or whatever and im just thinking how would those people like it if i kept them in a container where they couldnt escape then fried them up and fed them to someone just cause its a delicacy srry just kinnda really steamed about tht theres alternatives but y ts i just dont know

Sadly it happens,the worst part is some who call themselves hobbyist aren't in the hobby for the tarantulas but for what they could gain from them. A true hobbyists is a lover of a certain type of animal,dog cat insect tarantula etc. Those real ones actually love and are fascinated with the specie in question,not trying to make a quick buck etc. Like I love showing young kids about T's and getting them interested into the hobby,showing both sides of the animals. Trying to explain do or don't do situations,because the hobbies future are the younger people. Many are doing this, but just as much or maybe more are doing it for other reasons. That is why I respect people like tarantulaguy1976 or Jon3800 and many more,they put a lot of effort into what they do without really getting anything back. Then you get the guys that maybe participate once in a while, or are in the hobby today gone tomorrow which is sad but mostly because of reasons like other hobbyists pushing them out. I have said this before,and I will say it again everyone learns something everyday and its our duty to share with others.

Logan D

3 Year Member
i teach my little cousins about ts and now everytime i get a new one they comeover just to see my new tarantula. My gf even likes ts now shes fascinated with them just like i am. I mean sure you can make money but im not in this hobby for the money im in this hobby because i love it i put my ts before alot of things im always checking on them making sure they have water and the temps and humidity are where they are supposed to be i used to sit in a air condition room all day and now that there all in my room ive given that up so my ts can be happy does it bother me no cause thats what its about them being happy in there enclosures and like said it doesnt bother me im used to being in a warm environment now ive dedicated most of my room to my ts

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i teach my little cousins about ts and now everytime i get a new one they comeover just to see my new tarantula. My gf even likes ts now shes fascinated with them just like i am. I mean sure you can make money but im not in this hobby for the money im in this hobby because i love it i put my ts before alot of things im always checking on them making sure they have water and the temps and humidity are where they are supposed to be i used to sit in a air condition room all day and now that there all in my room ive given that up so my ts can be happy does it bother me no cause thats what its about them being happy in there enclosures and like said it doesnt bother me im used to being in a warm environment now ive dedicated most of my room to my ts

I can honestly say I like your attitude,we need more like you. Some other things that kill the experience for many,are like people who seldom participate on a forum or contribute little yet jump at the chance to shoot down or try and discredit people. That is actually sad,but I'm so glad people like you contribute daily to this forum since that's what its all about and not sitting around like vultures trying to look smart when in actual fact looking stupid. So thanks to you and so many others on here,since contributing is the source of success.

Logan D

3 Year Member
I can honestly say I like your attitude,we need more like you. Some other things that kill the experience for many,are like people who seldom participate on a forum or contribute little yet jump at the chance to shoot down or try and discredit people. That is actually sad,but I'm so glad people like you contribute daily to this forum since that's what its all about and not sitting around like vultures trying to look smart when in actual fact looking stupid. So thanks to you and so many others on here,since contributing is the source of success.

im with you martin ive seen people being rude on this forum is about helping people not being rude this forum is like a big family and everyone should treat people how they wanna be treated. Not to try to shoot down or discredit others like you said

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
im with you martin ive seen people being rude on this forum is about helping people not being rude this forum is like a big family and everyone should treat people how they wanna be treated. Not to try to shoot down or discredit others like you said

The best way to handle it is to say your say and back away, they have placed their name to a comment meaning they will be judged accordingly if a hobbyist finds the opposite to be true. Anything I say I've either experienced personally or someone I know. I love learning thus I always ask around and try and observe others, when I'm so lucky to share things with others that's the BEST part ever for me of this hobby and humbles me. With tarantulas,they throw you a curve ball each day haha you will never know enough.

Anthony York

3 Year Member
well frankly myself I am glad to be in the hobby to only got two T's right now with plans to get more i'm not trying to make any money off them in fact they are taking my money and i'm glad to give it to them. and I will always give it to them cause that is what i'm gone to do whether it if there food there enclosure or just more t's. not every day I can do my part on keeping a certain species on the planet but if I have to buy them to do it I will

Anthony York

3 Year Member
New pics of my p. Metallica

Attachments

• 20141020_210312.jpg
    20141020_210312.jpg
    879.1 KB · Views: 31

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
I will try and post pictures when I'm home,but what I've seen in both my Poecilotheria communal setups is that they've used the exact same spot to have their molt happen. I haven't concentrated on this before,but bow that I've seen it it's amazing.

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
I just ordered a P . metalica sling, cannot wait to get the little one. I am curiouse would there be issues of introducing adults that have never met, or does this seem to only work for slings? I would love to do a communal tank with them, but might have to do it in stages and would only have a adults to introduce in the tank. The tank i have is a nice big glass tank that has front doors and needs a lid made for it, but it would work great as a communal tank.

Latest posts