• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria/Pokie Club

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just ordered a P . metalica sling, cannot wait to get the little one. I am curiouse would there be issues of introducing adults that have never met, or does this seem to only work for slings? I would love to do a communal tank with them, but might have to do it in stages and would only have a adults to introduce in the tank. The tank i have is a nice big glass tank that has front doors and needs a lid made for it, but it would work great as a communal tank.

Hello
You will have to ask someone who has tried it,since my communal setups are done from small size specimens the regalis and metallicas.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Just beware of assuming these are communal. Poecilotheria are tolerant of one another, but the slightest trigger can end up in a massacre. Lost a few striata adults that have been living together since slings and have decided to seperate all of my "valuable" communals. If you do want to try this, best is to start off with slings from the same sac.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just ordered a P . metalica sling, cannot wait to get the little one. I am curiouse would there be issues of introducing adults that have never met, or does this seem to only work for slings? I would love to do a communal tank with them, but might have to do it in stages and would only have a adults to introduce in the tank. The tank i have is a nice big glass tank that has front doors and needs a lid made for it, but it would work great as a communal tank.

You can look at the previous answer,you have one of two options either introduce as young specimens same eggsack or have a female of your own and breed her and then take slings from that eggsack and introduce them together as a communal. My Poecilotheria Metallica were put together as 5cm specimens,so far I have had no problems but will update as time goes by. They have all also chosen the same spot to molt,so one will molt and the next will molt at the exact same spot when the other is done.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My P. Metallica

20151230_144839.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Beautiful set-up there man. I need some inspiration when it comes to setting up my adult arboreal terrariums. I am just never quite satisfied with the way they come out.
Thanks. It's a converted aquarium with air vents at top and a bracket fixed with epoxy resin to keep her in/prying hands out....lol. The tank was £40 from Pets at home. They do a white version too. There are also LED lights in the canopy and I have fitted so blue LEDS across the top of the background for the moonlight effect. I have an identical set up on the other side of the bed for my P. Subfusca when it's a bit bigger.

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
08ba8deac565c3fd071a54ae9946820c.jpg

She tried running up a wall during the photo shoot and I quickly caught her with my hands, not the best move but I just acted quickly. Thankfully and luckily she did not bite me and stayed relatively like that for the quick few shots I took before putting her back in her enclosure.