• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phidippus regius egg sac now x 3

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
so now every time @Shampain feels a creepy crawly on the back of his neck he can't swat it, it may be one of the escapees ;) Wonder what it's like to live with a hundred or so freshly hatched spiders in your house.... :p

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
An update on Tallahassee's babies.
I've just fed and watered them and there have been a quite few losses, down to 54 now.

This one is a monster
DSCF9144 (2).JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'll let you know tomorrow, I need to feed and water them again so I'll do a count then.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
47 still going strong. Quite a few of them have moulted again and are getting more adventurous and quite a bit bigger. I also caught one that looked as if it was eating the carcase of a cricket from last feed.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Glad to see that losses appear to have slowed down.

I'm thinking that I may have fed them too soon. Some of them had webbed a lot and the micro crickets got caught in the web but most of the dead ones hadn't webbed much so the crickets were running free.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
I'm thinking that I may have fed them too soon. Some of them had webbed a lot and the micro crickets got caught in the web but most of the dead ones hadn't webbed much so the crickets were running free.

'Tis possible although it could have been something else too.
Shame about the losses but at least you still have a nice amount left.
Looking forward to more updates on them.:)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oooops, I have another egg sac. She has webbed all the space between the glass and the cork bark, then yesterday she webbed a circle on the glass and this morning there are eggs again.

@Shampain I know I promised you this sack but I really don't know how to get it out without damaging it. Maybe wait until they emerge and send you them as 1st instars.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Shoo the spider away then get small scissors an clip around it then send it! Hehe I'm joking, another sac? I'll happily take any you give me :) I can't believe you have another! Tallahassee is a boss! :)x

If she'd been in a plastic container I could have taken her out and sent you the lot but It's a glass container and quite heavy.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just rear as many as you can, I'll pay you as agreed before to help you out... I can't believe she's produced another sac lol, amazing really :)

At least I have a better idea of what I'm doing this time. I think I'll leave them together until that 2nd moult then it's easier to keep them watered, after that I can separate them and start feeding. You learn by your mistakes :rolleyes:

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Tallahassee is a prolific little gal who appears to be bound, & determined, to keep you on your toes ... and busy (or busier).:D
Congrats on another egg sac!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
another sac? is she escaping and having a night on the town? or is this a breeding project i missed somewhere here? :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tallahassee is a prolific little gal who appears to be bound, & determined, to keep you on your toes ... and busy (or busier).:D
Congrats on another egg sac!

She's certainly prolific for such a tiny spider, don't know how she does it.:)

another sac? is she escaping and having a night on the town? or is this a breeding project i missed somewhere here? :)

Yep, sac number 2. No breeding project, I bought her at the beginning of December and she produced the first sac on Christmas day, mind the shop ad did say "Sub Adults - Adults some likely mated"

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yep, sac number 2. No breeding project, I bought her at the beginning of December and she produced the first sac on Christmas day, mind the shop ad did say "Sub Adults - Adults some likely mated"
wouldn't she have to be mated again to produce another sac? or how many can they produce from one fling so to speak?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
wouldn't she have to be mated again to produce another sac? or how many can they produce from one fling so to speak?

No, Ts like snakes can retain sperm and produce more than one sac (clutch in the case of snakes) from one mating. She had 121 in the first sack although not all survived due to lack of info and my inexperience but I don't know how many she has produced this time, the sac looks smaller.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
To add to what Enn said, they can have up to 4, successive, egg sacs from one breeding.
With each sac having less eggs, &/or less fertile eggs, than the prior egg sac.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
To add to what Enn said, they can have up to 4, successive, egg sacs from one breeding.
With each sac having less eggs, &/or less fertile eggs, than the prior egg sac.

That's true. I have a Cricket Thief Spider that came in a box of crickets and I've already destroyed 3 egg sacs that she's produced.

Latest posts