• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phidippus regius egg sac now x 3

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
102 of them rehoused into vials but still some more in the cocoon. They all behaved amazingly well, I had been having nightmares about them jumping all over the place but only one almost escaped me. That's the one that filled the gap in the bottom left box.

DSCF8990 (2).JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I spread a white sheet on the floor with a 9lt box in the middle, box of vials to hand. As most of the babies were on the lid that's where I began. Using a small piece of thin card I coaxed them one by one into the vials, most went quite happily. Those that wandered off the lid into the 9lt box were easy to catch using the vial as a catch cup and the card slid under, once I turned the vial upright most were happy to stay. I only had 1 escape from the 9lt box and that was easily spotted on the white sheet.

One thing I did notice was any that avoided the vial tended to drop on a web rather than run so they were easy to re-catch.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I spread a white sheet on the floor with a 9lt box in the middle, box of vials to hand. As most of the babies were on the lid that's where I began. Using a small piece of thin card I coaxed them one by one into the vials, most went quite happily. Those that wandered off the lid into the 9lt box were easy to catch using the vial as a catch cup and the card slid under, once I turned the vial upright most were happy to stay. I only had 1 escape from the 9lt box and that was easily spotted on the white sheet.

One thing I did notice was any that avoided the vial tended to drop on a web rather than run so they were easy to re-catch.
Jumper slings are easy to catch. The one's i've watched and couple my son and i caught didn't try and run, they'd spin circles looking for a way out, or drop with a web line to get away. I've never seen a jumper actually jump, other than the short hop to catch prey.

Congrats on slings!! i'd love to buy a few if i wasn't across the pond ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Jumper slings are easy to catch. The one's i've watched and couple my son and i caught didn't try and run, they'd spin circles looking for a way out, or drop with a web line to get away. I've never seen a jumper actually jump, other than the short hop to catch prey.

Congrats on slings!! i'd love to buy a few if i wasn't across the pond ;)

It did surprise me how easy it was after all my worrying.

Thanks, I wish it was easier to get them over to you.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I finally got the last few into vials today, there is the grand total of 121 and they've all been fed and watered, here's hoping they eat. I found that half a wooden lollipop stick just fits in the vials and gives them something to web to.
Most of the vials have no air holes in, this was just an odd old one I had to use.

DSCF9066.JPG

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I finally got the last few into vials today, there is the grand total of 121 and they've all been fed and watered, here's hoping they eat. I found that half a wooden lollipop stick just fits in the vials and gives them something to web to.
Most of the vials have no air holes in, this was just an odd old one I had to use.

View attachment 22526
Super tiny