• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It’s a male :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
You guys are a bunch of ingrates. Stan ended his post saying you can get the book at a library!

Imagine you have been in the hobby for decades and wrote a book about it 40 years ago. Imagine that that book has been polished and updated and republished and is still being polished and updated for the benefit of the hobby. Imagine that you answered many, if not most, of the questions that pop up on these forums daily in that book. Imagine that that book is available, for free, for anyone curious enough to pick it up.

Of course he's going to recommend his book! Wouldn't you? He's already answered the questions! You think his section on sexing is "outdated?" You used a pic from his book to illustrate! Why should he type again what he's already said dozens of times over? He's made a resource available. He isn't compelling anyone to buy it, and you don't even have to buy it to have access. If you're too lazy to read a book, then maybe you deserve the advice you get here.

What, you think people are better off taking advice from schmucks on the forums than from one of the hobby's founding fathers? Many of the more prolific posters here are ignoramuses. You guys all just quack in unison what you've heard someone else say before; for all your *****ing about AB, you guys are just as much in groupthink mode as they are. The fact that advice is offered does not make it any good.

Stan has been nothing but helpful and polite in all of the posts I've seen him make, on this and other platforms. That wasn't the least bit condescending. Maybe being called out for not crediting a picture touched a nerve? I don't know how he could have been nicer about it while still saying, "erm, that's not your pic, and it belongs to Vash." He took you logically through the possibilities behind plugging his book. You got schooled. Just zip up your pants and shuffle back to your hidey-holes.

Bunch of ungrateful, insecure pinpricks bumbling around in here. Read a bloody book and be grateful. If you don't like it, write your own. Stan may be nice to people who are rude to him, but I don't feel the same compunction.
Your a bitter twat

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You guys are a bunch of ingrates. Stan ended his post saying you can get the book at a library!

Imagine you have been in the hobby for decades and wrote a book about it 40 years ago. Imagine that that book has been polished and updated and republished and is still being polished and updated for the benefit of the hobby. Imagine that you answered many, if not most, of the questions that pop up on these forums daily in that book. Imagine that that book is available, for free, for anyone curious enough to pick it up.

Of course he's going to recommend his book! Wouldn't you? He's already answered the questions! You think his section on sexing is "outdated?" You used a pic from his book to illustrate! Why should he type again what he's already said dozens of times over? He's made a resource available. He isn't compelling anyone to buy it, and you don't even have to buy it to have access. If you're too lazy to read a book, then maybe you deserve the advice you get here.

What, you think people are better off taking advice from schmucks on the forums than from one of the hobby's founding fathers? Many of the more prolific posters here are ignoramuses. You guys all just quack in unison what you've heard someone else say before; for all your *****ing about AB, you guys are just as much in groupthink mode as they are. The fact that advice is offered does not make it any good.

Stan has been nothing but helpful and polite in all of the posts I've seen him make, on this and other platforms. That wasn't the least bit condescending. Maybe being called out for not crediting a picture touched a nerve? I don't know how he could have been nicer about it while still saying, "erm, that's not your pic, and it belongs to Vash." He took you logically through the possibilities behind plugging his book. You got schooled. Just zip up your pants and shuffle back to your hidey-holes.

Bunch of ungrateful, insecure pinpricks bumbling around in here. Read a bloody book and be grateful. If you don't like it, write your own. Stan may be nice to people who are rude to him, but I don't feel the same compunction.
Not schooled at all...and not taken from his book. Just used a image to help someone out.
Screenshot_20190613-125516_Chrome.jpg
I've mentioned and quoted Stan and his book many times in this forum. I dont have anything bad to say about him or his book...I own all the editions. I however stand by my comments. I am here day in and day out helping and your are not.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Your a bitter twat
And what are you?

Not schooled at all...and not taken from his book. Just used a image to help someone out. View attachment 38332I've mentioned and quoted Stan and his book many times in this forum. I dont have anything bad to say about him or his book...I own all the editions. I however stand by my comments. I am here day in and day out helping and your are not.
Regarding the schooling: I was referring to his post talking you through all the reasons he might plug his book, not the picture.

As far as saying anything bad about him, you said all he did is plug his book rather than helping. His book is helping. I also wasn't only addressing you.

I'm no longer here "helping" because I get tired of repeating myself for people who don't bother to educate themselves. If they're too lazy to do a search, why should I take my time to post the same thing over and over? There are other people who can play parrot. If someone has a specific question and tags me, I still answer.

Stan has elegantly solved this problem by writing a book to which he can refer people. Maybe these people you help should do what you do and buy the books. Maybe they should have done that before they got the spiders. Just a thought.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I’d say the truth lies somewhere in the middle here. I completely get what @Thistles is saying. Problem is you’re talking about an outdated book and an outdated platform.

It’s like telling someone to go read their write up in the Encyclopedia Brittanica. I think we all appreciate the work done to lay the foundations of knowledge in the hobby, but it also doesn’t help to point people to an outdated piece of work from a place no one goes anymore (sadly).

Meanwhile, I can’t fault @Arachnoclown for posting a general photo that is floating around the internet in an attempt to help. It’s a lot more convenient than saying “go find a library to look at that picture instead.”

MrKrowe

Mr Schultz is a scientist, and in science attribution and giving credit is everything. We stand on the shoulders of giants and we must acknowledge that it is so.

As you get older you come to a firmer understanding of what is right and fair, and Mr. Schultz has been doing this for way longer than any of us. He’s a genuine pioneer, you don’t get to interact with one of those every day.

It was a pleasure to see him stop by.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I’d say the truth lies somewhere in the middle here. I completely get what @Thistles is saying. Problem is you’re talking about an outdated book and an outdated platform.

It’s like telling someone to go read their write up in the Encyclopedia Brittanica. I think we all appreciate the work done to lay the foundations of knowledge in the hobby, but it also doesn’t help to point people to an outdated piece of work from a place no one goes anymore (sadly).

Meanwhile, I can’t fault @Arachnoclown for posting a general photo that is floating around the internet in an attempt to help. It’s a lot more convenient than saying “go find a library to look at that picture instead.”
There is nothing wrong with posting the pic, but if it isn't yours, say so. Even if I don't know who took a picture, if I post someone else's, even in an informal setting like this, I will say "not my pic" in the post.

The book isn't that outdated. The general care and foundations are excellent. The areas that need brushing up are the more species-specific parts. I agree that the platform is dying, but accusing Stan of not helping when he clearly is trying to help is neither helpful nor accurate.

@MrKrowe is exactly right. I am always pleased to see Stan post, and always grateful.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is nothing wrong with posting the pic, but if it isn't yours, say so. Even if I don't know who took a picture, if I post someone else's, even in an informal setting like this, I will say "not my pic" in the post.

The book isn't that outdated. The general care and foundations are excellent. The areas that need brushing up are the more species-specific parts. I agree that the platform is dying, but accusing Stan of not helping when he clearly is trying to help is neither helpful nor accurate.

@MrKrowe is exactly right. I am always pleased to see Stan post, and always grateful.
Give it a rest...

Predaking5

Ok. I'm gonna say this, 'cause this is getting out of line.

Everyone who is involved in derailing this thread, stop it. The original post has nothing to do with what it has devolved into. There is no need to fuel the fire even further than it has already.

The last post is rather disrespectful and not in good taste. Disagreements are fine, but it is not necessary to insult people.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok. I'm gonna say this, 'cause this is getting out of line.

Everyone who is involved in derailing this thread, stop it. The original post has nothing to do with what it has devolved into. There is no need to fuel the fire even further than it has already.

The last post is rather disrespectful and not in good taste. Disagreements are fine, but it is not necessary to insult people.
It was a joke to lighten things up. I see it was a resounding success:D Everythings going to be ok, these things happen in a free society.

Cheers:beer:

Jimbo63

I bought an aphonopelma chalcodes as a juvenile 2 months ago.it was a nice tan and blonde colour until it moulted.it's legs are now black and dark brown and i have noticed that the 2 front legs now have claws on them like this pic.the legs are now much longer and the spider is constantly on the move climbing all over the place.do you think it might be male?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I bought an aphonopelma chalcodes as a juvenile 2 months ago.it was a nice tan and blonde colour until it moulted.it's legs are now black and dark brown and i have noticed that the 2 front legs now have claws on them like this pic.the legs are now much longer and the spider is constantly on the move climbing all over the place.do you think it might be male?
They change colors when they mature. Here's the same Male spider...before and after maturing.
Screenshot_20171230-082934~3.png
20180623_175641.jpg

Tnoob

Sounds to me like a mature Male, they ‘hook’ out on their two front legs. It seems that’s what you’re seeing, Tarantulas can’t change sex but there are tell tale signs when a Male specifically matures out.
Whoa chill, what’s your problem? Not everyone has the time of day. Just because I’m young doesn’t mean I’m always on my phone. And what even is a thut?
I think he means thot, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.