• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It’s a male :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaP80

Go on Facebook and look for a group called Spinder. It's tinder for spiders. No I'm not kidding. If you post your male anyone with a mature female will respond and you can meet up or send them your male for breeding. If it's a successful molt you'll get half the babies and can sell them yourself. My friend Hazel runs the page, it's a great way to meet people with your same interests.

LisaP80

Just saw the post above, you've found your females. :) Let that beautiful boy fulfill his destiny and make babies :) but definitely still check out Spinder just because it's neat for future matings.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
While I was heartbroken when my H pulchripes matured out as a male, I did get 2 wonderful P vittata slings as a trade for him just before the interstate ban on them went into effect.

Bonnie and Clyde are a suspect male and female respectively.

My P sp machala also turned out to be male. One of my P striata pokies is totally male but still awesome. I suspect that my C versicolor might be male but I'm not totally sure because the molts are not intact.

A male tarantula presents many opportunities & you can even get as many as half the slings back if the egg sac is fertile. There's potentially some $$$to be made depending on the species.

Here's a few of my males.

Charles molt 2 5-26-19.jpg

P vittata Clyde out at last 2.jpg
P sp machala Percy molt 1-7-19 1.jpg
Hybris mm7.jpg
H pulchripes Hybris cage care 1.jpg

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member

Re: Posting #11 by Arachnoclown - Setting the record straight here ...

The photo was published on 2008 February 28 on the Arachnofreaks forum (now defunct) by Vasiliy (Vash or Anubis) Loskutov. Subsequently, I acquired non-exclusive permission to publish that same photo in the third edition of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide, TKG3, and it now appears on page 26 of that work.

But be advised that Mr. Loskutov.still holds the copyright to the photo. And whether it's used with permission or not, he should still be given credit for it.

Lastly, answers and clarifications to most of the concerns and issues voiced in this thread are also addressed in TKG3. It is now also offered in both a paperback and Kindle edition by Amazon, but you need not buy either. It's available for lending/loan at most public libraries.

A recovered alcoholic,

A born-again Christian,

And a converted arachnophobe!

Stan

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Re: Posting #11 by Arachnoclown - Setting the record straight here ...

The photo was published on 2008 February 28 on the Arachnofreaks forum (now defunct) by Vasiliy (Vash or Anubis) Loskutov. Subsequently, I acquired non-exclusive permission to publish that same photo in the third edition of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide, TKG3, and it now appears on page 26 of that work.

But be advised that Mr. Loskutov.still holds the copyright to the photo. And whether it's used with permission or not, he should still be given credit for it.

Lastly, answers and clarifications to most of the concerns and issues voiced in this thread are also addressed in TKG3. It is now also offered in both a paperback and Kindle edition by Amazon, but you need not buy either. It's available for lending/loan at most public libraries.

A recovered alcoholic,

A born-again Christian,

And a converted arachnophobe!

Stan
Well thanks to our internet...the picture is floating out there on multiple platforms with no info tagged to it whatsoever ever.

Btw the only time your ever on these forums is to plug your book. Not to truly help anyone...just to sell copies.

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
Well thanks to our internet...the picture is floating out there on multiple platforms with no info tagged to it whatsoever ever.

That's the principle reason I posted that message. It's a great photo and Mr. Loskutov deserves the credit.

Btw the only time your ever on these forums is to plug your book. Not to truly help anyone...just to sell copies.

Sorry you feel this way. But in fact, I'm working on TKG4 and it's turned out to be a much bigger project than I had ever dreamed. It's taking much more time than I had anticipated. I had to drop out of several other forums because responding to other's posts was draining too much time away from that editing.

About "plugging your book:" Of all the possible reasons I might write a book like the TKG series, personal aggrandizement, monetary gain, and altruism might arguably be considered the most likely. In my case, personal aggrandizement is pretty much out of the question. I live in a motorhome as a vagabond and a snowbird. My address of residence is a relative's home used as a mail drop. I even get back there two or three times a year for a week or two. I'm more or less a recluse or a hermit. I could count the total of number of "good friends" on the fingers of both hands. I only see most of them one evening a year for a dinner at a not-too-expensive restaurant. No, "personal aggrandizement" just isn't my style.

But how about monetary gain? Surely I'm making a mint off the book in royalties, no? No. On average I only get about 75¢ to 80¢ per copy sold. That doesn't even pay for my gasoline to travel around the continent to meet other enthusiasts and give the occasional lecture at reptile shows, nature centers, and schools. And I don't even charge for the lectures! In fact, I generally clearly state that you needn't buy the book. Copies are available for loan from most libraries. Lastly, if I estimate the number of hours I spend writing, editing, and rewriting each edition and divide that into the royalties that I receive, how much do you think I make an hour? It's less than a dollar an hour! I would make much more, slinging hamburgers at the neighborhood hamburger stand. You can forget personal profit, too.

So that leaves altruism. But honestly, I don't walk on water. I sometimes swear profusely, especially when hurt or really frustrated. (I've picked up a pretty good - or bad - vocabulary over the decades, if I must say so myself.) And I definitely don't sport a halo. But I do really like spiders in general and tarantulas in particular. And, I really get upset when I see others who are afraid of them, or abuse or kill them. And from there I could launch into a long monologue about arachnophobia, memes (in the sense of Richard Dawkins), and ghosts. But I'd be preaching to the choir, right?

Marguerite (now deceased) and I began work on TKG1 in late 1979. It was finally published in 1984. But it wasn't a very good book. So we rewrote it and convinced Barrons to publish the resulting edition in 1998, and yet another edition in 2009. I'm hoping I can get TKG4 published within the next couple of years. But I'm getting old and slowing down. Don't hold your breath.

Why am I doing this? Because, like Archie, I have a message to spread. I am an evangelist, preaching about spiders and tarantulas. Hence, the closing comment on my previous post. It's a rude little joke on myself. I could have gone under a nom de plume when I first started out, but there was really no reason to back then, and there still isn't now.

Why do I plug my own book? Because I wrote it for one reason, and one reason only: to tell people about tarantulas and how to care for them without killing them out of ignorance. Period. And I think I've done pretty good at it, if I must say so myself. At least in 35 years no one has been able to do better in the English language. (Perhaps there's a German book of equal or better caliber, but I wouldn't know; my German is very rusty in spite of my name.)

Oh, yes, I get a little thrill when I see the book being sold at a reptile show, or when I stand in front of a group to give a lecture, even if I don't get paid for it. Who wouldn't?

And I also get a little thrill as I open the envelopes holding the royalty checks. Who wouldn't? But, I'd have published the book without the royalties. They're just frosting on the cake.

But mostly I am an altruist and an evangelist- - - about spiders. Let me tell you about my tarantula...

And, thanks for making that comment. It gave me a chance to blow off a little steam.

Question: What's worse than finding a poisonous spider in your motorhome?

Answer: Losing a poisonous spider in your motorhome!

Stan

babyjacks

View attachment 38271 I have 2 females. 1 of them is definitely mature, the other is a subadult and is smaller than the other one. They are both Cyriocosmus sellatus. I live in California. I myself have not been in this hobby for very long, but I'm willing to help your male Cyriocosmus sellatus out. I don't know how this loaning thing works, but if you're interested, let me know. Maybe we can arrange for something, idk.

I also live somewhat locally to someone here who has stated that he is willing to guide me through the process of breeding T's.

Or, if loaning out your male is not something that is feasible, I can offer to buy your male off of you. I am flexible either way.

The photo I attached is the subadult female. I couldn't find a good photo that shows the carapace for the other female and it is currently hiding in its burrow. I can post a pic of the other female when it comes out.
Omg I’d love to send my T to you !! It would also be my first time :)

babyjacks

Just saw the post above, you've found your females. :) Let that beautiful boy fulfill his destiny and make babies :) but definitely still check out Spinder just because it's neat for future matings.
Omg Spinder? I’ll definitely check it out and yes, I shall let him make babies!! Now, to watch YouTube tutorials on how to mail a tarantula! lol

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
That's the principle reason I posted that message. It's a great photo and Mr. Loskutov deserves the credit.

Sorry you feel this way. But in fact, I'm working on TKG4 and it's turned out to be a much bigger project than I had ever dreamed. It's taking much more time than I had anticipated. I had to drop out of several other forums because responding to other's posts was draining too much time away from that editing.

About "plugging your book:" Of all the possible reasons I might write a book like the TKG series, personal aggrandizement, monetary gain, and altruism might arguably be considered the most likely. In my case, personal aggrandizement is pretty much out of the question. I live in a motorhome as a vagabond and a snowbird. My address of residence is a relative's home used as a mail drop. I even get back there two or three times a year for a week or two. I'm more or less a recluse or a hermit. I could count the total of number of "good friends" on the fingers of both hands. I only see most of them one evening a year for a dinner at a not-too-expensive restaurant. No, "personal aggrandizement" just isn't my style.

But how about monetary gain? Surely I'm making a mint off the book in royalties, no? No. On average I only get about 75¢ to 80¢ per copy sold. That doesn't even pay for my gasoline to travel around the continent to meet other enthusiasts and give the occasional lecture at reptile shows, nature centers, and schools. And I don't even charge for the lectures! In fact, I generally clearly state that you needn't buy the book. Copies are available for loan from most libraries. Lastly, if I estimate the number of hours I spend writing, editing, and rewriting each edition and divide that into the royalties that I receive, how much do you think I make an hour? It's less than a dollar an hour! I would make much more, slinging hamburgers at the neighborhood hamburger stand. You can forget personal profit, too.

So that leaves altruism. But honestly, I don't walk on water. I sometimes swear profusely, especially when hurt or really frustrated. (I've picked up a pretty good - or bad - vocabulary over the decades, if I must say so myself.) And I definitely don't sport a halo. But I do really like spiders in general and tarantulas in particular. And, I really get upset when I see others who are afraid of them, or abuse or kill them. And from there I could launch into a long monologue about arachnophobia, memes (in the sense of Richard Dawkins), and ghosts. But I'd be preaching to the choir, right?

Marguerite (now deceased) and I began work on TKG1 in late 1979. It was finally published in 1984. But it wasn't a very good book. So we rewrote it and convinced Barrons to publish the resulting edition in 1998, and yet another edition in 2009. I'm hoping I can get TKG4 published within the next couple of years. But I'm getting old and slowing down. Don't hold your breath.

Why am I doing this? Because, like Archie, I have a message to spread. I am an evangelist, preaching about spiders and tarantulas. Hence, the closing comment on my previous post. It's a rude little joke on myself. I could have gone under a nom de plume when I first started out, but there was really no reason to back then, and there still isn't now.

Why do I plug my own book? Because I wrote it for one reason, and one reason only: to tell people about tarantulas and how to care for them without killing them out of ignorance. Period. And I think I've done pretty good at it, if I must say so myself. At least in 35 years no one has been able to do better in the English language. (Perhaps there's a German book of equal or better caliber, but I wouldn't know; my German is very rusty in spite of my name.)

Oh, yes, I get a little thrill when I see the book being sold at a reptile show, or when I stand in front of a group to give a lecture, even if I don't get paid for it. Who wouldn't?

And I also get a little thrill as I open the envelopes holding the royalty checks. Who wouldn't? But, I'd have published the book without the royalties. They're just frosting on the cake.

But mostly I am an altruist and an evangelist- - - about spiders. Let me tell you about my tarantula...

And, thanks for making that comment. It gave me a chance to blow off a little steam.

Stan
To be honest you sounded condescending in your reply to Arachnoclown.
He and dozens of others are on here day and night helping people answer their questions without having to find a outdated book. However you always come in late with a long drawn out paragraph that has nothing to do with the subject at hand. The only thing you do consistently is plug your out dated book over and over again.
As for the photo, I found it in eight different searches not tied to the photographer you gave credit for. Maybe he should have watermarked it?

babyjacks

To be honest you sounded condescending in your reply to Arachnoclown.
He and dozens of others are on here day and night helping people answer their questions without having to find a outdated book. However you always come in late with a long drawn out paragraph that has nothing to do with the subject at hand. The only thing you do consistently is plug your out dated book over and over again.
As for the photo, I found it in eight different searches not tied to the photographer you gave credit for. Maybe he should have watermarked it?
I agree on the condescending part. And I was also like where did this guy even come from and why is he flexing so hard? This was just a thread on how I think my T is a male. lol

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Stan
Writes another book...:rolleyes:

Thistles

3 Year Member
You guys are a bunch of ingrates. Stan ended his post saying you can get the book at a library!

Imagine you have been in the hobby for decades and wrote a book about it 40 years ago. Imagine that that book has been polished and updated and republished and is still being polished and updated for the benefit of the hobby. Imagine that you answered many, if not most, of the questions that pop up on these forums daily in that book. Imagine that that book is available, for free, for anyone curious enough to pick it up.

Of course he's going to recommend his book! Wouldn't you? He's already answered the questions! You think his section on sexing is "outdated?" You used a pic from his book to illustrate! Why should he type again what he's already said dozens of times over? He's made a resource available. He isn't compelling anyone to buy it, and you don't even have to buy it to have access. If you're too lazy to read a book, then maybe you deserve the advice you get here.

What, you think people are better off taking advice from schmucks on the forums than from one of the hobby's founding fathers? Many of the more prolific posters here are ignoramuses. You guys all just quack in unison what you've heard someone else say before; for all your *****ing about AB, you guys are just as much in groupthink mode as they are. The fact that advice is offered does not make it any good.

Stan has been nothing but helpful and polite in all of the posts I've seen him make, on this and other platforms. That wasn't the least bit condescending. Maybe being called out for not crediting a picture touched a nerve? I don't know how he could have been nicer about it while still saying, "erm, that's not your pic, and it belongs to Vash." He took you logically through the possibilities behind plugging his book. You got schooled. Just zip up your pants and shuffle back to your hidey-holes.

Bunch of ungrateful, insecure pinpricks bumbling around in here. Read a bloody book and be grateful. If you don't like it, write your own. Stan may be nice to people who are rude to him, but I don't feel the same compunction.

Status
Not open for further replies.