• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is this cruel.......?

Will-batayte

feed my T a mouse..........about every month.

Yeah it is, think about this, tarantula venom is very painful especially from say a pokie. If you get bit on your hand the venom will cause severe pain over your whole hand. Now imagine that amount of venom injected into an animal the size of your thumb. That animal's whole body is going to be on fire, every nerve ending lit up like the fourth of July. Now why have that happen? The only reason is entertainment value for you! Do the right thing and kill the mouse humanely first if you must do this or buy frozen thawed. I do that for my snakes. Honestly for my slings I prekill the roaches in a very quick manner. If this will still work when they get larger I'd do it then. I don't agree with sport hunting either but at least even most hunters kill in the quickest way possible, a bullet to the heart. Personally I think the only reason a person should kill animals is for food and when killing there should be minimum suffering PERIOD!

tom landock

3 Year Member
Yeah it is, think about this, tarantula venom is very painful especially from say a pokie. If you get bit on your hand the venom will cause severe pain over your whole hand. No imagine that amount of venom injected into an animal the size of your thumb. That animal's whole bedoy is going to be on fire, every nerve ending lit up like the fourth of July. Now why have that happen? The only reason is entertainment value for you kill the mouse humanely first if you must do this or buy frozen thawed. I do that for my snakes. Honestly for my slings I prekill the roaches in a very quick manner. If this will still work when they get larger I'd do it then. I don't agree with sport hunting either but at least even most hunters kill in the quickest way possible, a bullet to the heart. Personally I think the only reason a person should kill animals is for food and when killing there should be minimum suffering PERIOD!
?? IF venom that bad..........WHY fight for hour or so....VENOM ? hello.....a bee sting.....thats all......make sense...?

bbbs53

3 Year Member
Is nature cruel? This isn't really relevant since these creatures will eat mice in the wild. Man's laws don't really apply to wild things and our perception of cruelty doesn't amount to much in their regard. When I first started keeping spiders, there wasn't the supply of crickets and other food insects like there is available now and I used pinky mice along with mealworms, neither complained. Having kept a Ball Python that would only eat live mice, the law in the UK would have caused it's death. Which is cruel? There is danger in applying human feelings to wild animals or to creatures that are part of the food chain of other animals. The long and short answer is no, it isn't cruel, it is natural. The spider dispatches whatever it eats quickly and painlessly to protect itself from damage by a struggling food source. If one were to carry this argument a bit further, it could perceive that keeping tarantulas in an enclosure is also cruel, the same could be said of feeding them crickets. There are folks that consider keeping pets of any kind cruel, even those that don't eat live prey. The final thought is if you think something is cruel, don't do it, only has to make sense to you. If you think having a dog or cat is cruel don't have one, simple. Our spiders will live with or without mice so the choice belongs to the keeper, personally I keep my options open to provide the best care I can for my T, it is really as easy as that.

tom landock

3 Year Member
I personally could not do that when there are plenty of other sources of food/nutrition. But that is just my personal opinion. So, to answer your question, yes, I think it is cruel. I had a hard enough time feeding my sling a meal worm this morning. But then I love all creatures, big, and small.
NICE...........but >> is 1 less mouse in this world......................u dig..?

Arachnoscholar

pics are better, CENTERFOLD......duh.......TY, harvard T. scholar.
Lol you can change the narrative of a picture in infinite ways, and can be very misleading in the right circumstances. But I'm not even going to waste my time trying to make sence of that. I do have a knack for spotting trolls looking to waste time instigating conflict however! How that makes them feel better about themselves instead of encouraging weakness of mind such as it does is still something of a mystery to me. But I suppose that's where reading, and being able to accurately think for one's self comes in handy! And I never went to Harvard lol.

tom landock

3 Year Member
Lol you can change the narrative of a picture in infinite ways, and can be very misleading in the right circumstances. But I'm not even going to waste my time trying to make sence of that. I do have a knack for spotting trolls looking to waste time instigating conflict however! How that makes them feel better about themselves instead of encouraging weakness of mind such as it does is still something of a mystery to me. But I suppose that's where reading, and being able to accurately think for one's self comes in handy! And I never went to Harvard lol.
well, then.............................ok a YALE man.........educated talk......

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
well......KEWL..........u get a cookie.........sugar, chocolate chip, or macadania nut.........? u wanna get down......

What I meant to say is I have kept over 1000 at a time. I have had a few thousand or so over the years....give or take a tarantula or two. Oh....and I prefer chocolate chip if they're fresh out of the oven. ;)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well....I was an entertaining tarantula enthusiast and now, I have been reduced to a troll. Shame on me for succumbing to such...... :D

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would eat @Shampain alive.....fight or no fight....bite or no bite..... I'd give him a run for his money, too. ;)

@MassExodus and @Arachnoclown @Tortoise Tom ....i just wanna web them up and play with them.....gotta keep the bolus content down in my enclosure.....

:p
you certainly would hunt @Shampain down theres no doubt about it ;) I cant comment all ive seen is pictures of a guy in a hoodie lol:D

Its quite obvious its an emotive subject -and to be quite honest I think your ignorance @tom landock is quite clear you agree with what you feed your T-many others do not ,and you want to argue otherwise....its getting quite boring now...:rolleyes:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
spit it out..............young lady or man or martian.....

I have fed adult mice to larger tarantulas (T. stirmi for example) on quite a few occassions. In one case (of many times I have done this), the mouse bit my spider and caused injury to its leg leading to leaking of fluid. After that one instance, I started to feed them dead mice or pinkies. I would rather not inflict harm on my spider. I say that because it is not the mouses fault. It is mine for placing it in the terrarium with my T. So, I am the one inflicting harm. The mouse is doing as nature would have it do...defending itself. I will say that in my experience, it did not take long for the effects of the venom to kick in (especially when feeding to large old world species - Asians).....but still....its better to be safe than sorry. I also find that if you want to offer your tarantula a variety of foods for nutritional value (which is why I started offering mice to begin with), then I would replace the feeding of mice with raw chicken breast strips/tenders or raw chicken. It is packed with protein and no harm could come of it unless you just left the remnants in the cage....that would eventually lead to mold and the smell would be awful. I have converted to raw chicken, now, instead.

Latest posts