• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is this cruel.......?

tom landock

3 Year Member
feed my T a mouse..........about every month.

Attachments

• DSC05672.JPG
    DSC05672.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 78
  • DSC06493.JPG
    DSC06493.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 81

tom landock

3 Year Member
To be totally honest I don't think it is neccessary. I think it is more enjoyment for the human as they want to watch. The T doesn't really get any advantage from it over other feeders, just a messy cleanup. "To each his own."
yea, dead mouse stinks..........but this a meal........not a cricket snack...........my opinin.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Whether or not it is cruel can be debated for ages. I don't think comparing a wild lion and gazelle is remotely relevant to comparing a pet spider and domestic mouse.

I am a hunter. I kill animals all the time for sport (falconry), to remove reduce pest issues (gophers, ground squirrels, rats, mice, introduced pests like English house sparrows, etc...), and to feed to other animals. I mention these things to illustrate that I'm not an animal rights whacko, or someone who isn't familiar and comfortable with animals dying.

I'm not opposed to feeding an occasional mouse to a tarantula, but I am opposed to feeding an adult mouse that is going to fight back and potentially injure the animal it is being fed to. I'm also opposed to the inhumane treatment and unnecessary suffering of any animal. There is no reason you can't thump that mouse and give it a quick humane death, and then feed it to your spider. Your spider gets no benefit from fighting and killing an adult mouse, and the potential for harm his high.

This is your second go around with this. We told you all this same stuff the last time. This is still somewhat of a free country (Although that is changing rapidly...) and you can do what you want, but this isn't right, and it has no business on a family friendly public forum. Its a bad idea, I DO think it is cruel and inhumane, and its completely unnecessary.

Anyone reading should be clear on all these points. Feeding live adult mice to any pet tarantula is not a practice to be condoned or recommended.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Whether or not it is cruel can be debated for ages. I don't think comparing a wild lion and gazelle is remotely relevant to comparing a pet spider and domestic mouse.

I am a hunter. I kill animals all the time for sport (falconry), to remove reduce pest issues (gophers, ground squirrels, rats, mice, introduced pests like English house sparrows, etc...), and to feed to other animals. I mention these things to illustrate that I'm not an animal rights whacko, or someone who isn't familiar and comfortable with animals dying.

I'm not opposed to feeding an occasional mouse to a tarantula, but I am opposed to feeding an adult mouse that is going to fight back and potentially injure the animal it is being fed to. I'm also opposed to the inhumane treatment and unnecessary suffering of any animal. There is no reason you can't thump that mouse and give it a quick humane death, and then feed it to your spider. Your spider gets no benefit from fighting and killing an adult mouse, and the potential for harm his high.

This is your second go around with this. We told you all this same stuff the last time. This is still somewhat of a free country (Although that is changing rapidly...) and you can do what you want, but this isn't right, and it has no business on a family friendly public forum. Its a bad idea, I DO think it is cruel and inhumane, and its completely unnecessary.

Anyone reading should be clear on all these points. Feeding live adult mice to any pet tarantula is not a practice to be condoned or recommended.
Well said @Tortoise Tom -I agree with you 100% :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I feed my 10 inch Theraphosa stirmis mice. The only thing that is frowned upon in the hobby is your Spider taken injury from the struggle. Adult mice bite and can kill your spider. I feed prekilled adult mice or live Pinkie. Pinkies don't know how to bite yet and the bones aren't fully developed so less stinky mess. Cheap house geckos are good feeders as well...never had a problem with those.
IMG-20180609-WA0000.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
To be totally honest I don't think it is neccessary. I think it is more enjoyment for the human as they want to watch. The T doesn't really get any advantage from it over other feeders, just a messy cleanup. "To each his own."
I dont get any enjoyment out of it...its way cheaper to feed it a dollar mouse per feeding then 3 hissers I can sell for $15.

Potatatas

insects are live..........!!!

They are but I think the argument is that insects do not feel pain as we do. Mice definitely DO feel pain but there is a debate over insects so I'd rather go for the "maybe causing pain to insect" option. Another argument is have you listened to the sound a mouse makes while being eaten alive? It's horrific and just feels cruel. If you can stomach it you might be a different kind of person. And if you enjoy the sound then maybe you need psychological evaluation. And my final argument is that feeding live rodents is not at all necessary for Ts. They get more than enough sustenance form insects. Plus it is dangerous for the T. A mouse can bite back and cause a lot of damage. A hungry enough rat has eaten a snake that it was supposed to be prey for so similar could happen between mice and Ts I'd say.

Leave the rodents to snakes and even then there is no reason to feed live prey (in most cases as there are snakes that genuinely will only eat live)

Is it cruel when a lion kills a gazelle in the wild?

We aren't discussing a wild setting. Nature will happen and there's nothing we can do about it in the wild. What we can do in captivity is make sure both prey and pet live safely and pain free for the duration of their lives.

Latest posts