• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help me out guys?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a B'day this month. And begged for a T from my family. They all politely declined. Paid my bills so I'm broke till the first but I AM going to get myself a.......something....
Most of you know I don't mind a little attitude, ow/nw makes little difference to me, I treat all of them as if they had the ability to kill me. I don't fear them but I respect them and their space. The issue is cost so nothing over the top. Like to keep that as low as possible. Sling juvenile or adult. Prefer not to have a complete pet hole.
My currant T list is on my personal information page. Help me pick something that you feel is a MUST have that I don't own yet.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Why not get that OBT you've wanted for so long or an H.mac or S. calc

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Enn I adore you!
Why didn't I think of H.mac? They're arboreal aren't they?

Going to start a list here and I'll update as required.

SCORPIONS!

In no particular order--
  1. OBT
  2. Stromatopelma.calceatum
  3. Grammostola pulchra
  4. Heteroscrodra maculata
  5. .
  6. .
  7. .
  8. .
  9. .

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Enn49
Need to go do more research, figure out which is more apt to be visible. I love my T ockerti but rarely see it :(
Also, I thought the S.calc was a bit of a pet hole so this is good news. I honestly think the OBT may just be an add-on as usually I can find them fairly cheaply. Or as a freeby some places. I'm OK with a sling to start.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Both my H. mac and S. calc are fairly visible now, they're both around 1". They're both quite shy and will run and hide if disturbed. The H. mac has a burrow but spends quite a lot of time up the side of the container whereas the S.calc has a burrow round 2 sides of the container so I can see it scurrying around.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Centruroides vittatus tarantulas are communal, cheap, arboreal, and the only scorpions I have that ignore me and go about their business. I mean tarantulas. I could even send you some for postage :) Cheeseball container, lots of cork slabs, water dish, ill post a pic of my setup, I think I have like ten in there now..very fun to observe them. Mild venom, not much attitude for buthids, for the most part.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And we're fixing to hit the 100's here, so they'll be everywhere around my house. I could send you a few males and females..their care is simple, and they crawl around interacting with each other in full view. This morning i watched a male chase a big female around until she got tired of it and hit him a few times. Looked like it hurt his feelings, lol. Chilled him right out ;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus ok now I'm excited! I have, a 5 gallon, a 10 gallon and a 29 gallon. I'm betting one of those could make a pretty nice set up for some of these things..been wanting some for ages..(well, scorpions in general). Questions Mass...
How large do they get? What kind of substrate do they need, do they need a heat lamp or something like that?
Also, I have tons of cottonwood bark I use, got a hellofa deal on a big box full. My tarantulas love it. Only use cork in the really damp things. Would that do? And, the important part,
What approximately would postage be?

-waits for pictures-

kenney

3 Year Member
@MassExodus..... now you got me jealous, the best i can catch around new york are wolf spiders, or hog nose snakes, would be cool to have them running around, id have a tank full of them

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus ok now I'm excited! I have, a 5 gallon, a 10 gallon and a 29 gallon. I'm betting one of those could make a pretty nice set up for some of these things..been wanting some for ages..(well, scorpions in general). Questions Mass...
How large do they get? What kind of substrate do they need, do they need a heat lamp or something like that?
Also, I have tons of cottonwood bark I use, got a hellofa deal on a big box full. My tarantulas love it. Only use cork in the really damp things. Would that do? And, the important part,
What approximately would postage be?

-waits for pictures-
They have about an inch and half body, females are plump/stout, males are long and skinny, with a noticeably longer tail. Stretched out, from claws to telson(stinger) maybe 3 inches? With plenty of bark, you could keep 15 comfortably In a 5 gallon..the 29 gallon..maybe 50? I have a twenty gallon long that will soon house many gracilis:) I have about ten in my cheeseball container, I feel like its about right. You can use any t substrate, these are hardy, widespread scorpions. And keep them around 70-75 is fine. In my opinion a black light flashlight is a must, so you can find them easily, and see females that might have a dark patch on their back, which is babies:) Seperate them in a moist container with good vent, no dish, until babies come off. I feed my babies every day. When I get home, no nymphs are still standing. Oh, you can feed the mom with babies on her back. Just pull her out when they're all off. I keep the babies moist, but adults get a dish and very occasional mist. You can either tail them to move them, or just pick up a brush and the bark she's on and transfer her. Tailing the small ones is risky, they're small and fast, and you have to be careful. I don't really recommend it. You'll get used to them pretty quick, but they're actually a little trickier to move then spiders, and they'll panic and run off bark and fall..im working on foam tipped forceps right now, I just need to get glue. Soft foam gripped just behind the telson should be perfect. I'm still learning;) postage shouldn't be much, ill start collecting some for you :) I'm sure you'll read up on buthids :), but vertical bark is a must for molting. They very rarely molt on the ground. They generally face downwards and kinda slide out..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome. Going to read up on them then.
Sounds adorable :) Please keep me posted. Think the little five gallon will work, big enough to give them climbing room but small enough to not take up the entire T table :p

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WP_20160608_07_58_17_Pro.jpg
I just caught 2 large juvies, m and f I think.;) I'll check around my house on my days off, that's where I find the adults mostly. These two look one molt away from adult.I think you'll like keeping scorpions. Finding babies on one is very exciting. I'll take some pics later when I get home, here's a few I took just messing around.
WP_20160608_07_57_39_Pro.jpg

WP_20160608_07_58_00_Pro.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am.half in love with the fact.fhat they are so small.and can live communal, do you heat their enclosures?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Enn I adore you!
Why didn't I think of H.mac? They're arboreal aren't they?

Going to start a list here and I'll update as required.
  1. Heteroscrodra maculata
  2. OBT
  3. Stromatopelma.calceatum
  4. .
  5. .
  6. .
  7. .
  8. .
  9. .
  10. .
Grammostola pulchra?*I know you like these but not sure on the price point in US. Scorpions are looking a clear front runner now though.....lol. Keep us updated anyway Hun, I am sure you will love whatever you get. Happy hunting x

* suggestion based on your spoiler list so unsure if there is another link with more listed ☺

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Grammostola pulchra?*I know you like these but not sure on the price point in US. Scorpions are looking a clear front runner now though.....lol. Keep us updated anyway Hun, I am sure you will love whatever you get. Happy hunting x

* suggestion based on your spoiler list so unsure if there is another link with more listed ☺
Pulchra aren't bad priced here if you get small slings. the 1/2-3/4" slings i got were $46, they're on sale now for $39 and 1" from Paul - www.petcenter.info

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

My profile page under info I think it is, has a full list. I do want a pulchra just high for me right now :(

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pulchra aren't bad priced here if you get small slings. the 1/2-3/4" slings i got were $46, they're on sale now for $39 and 1" from Paul - www.petcenter.info
I want one bad but once you add in the shipping it bites harder. Not worth it less I'm ordering 2-3 slings.
Besides I'm waiting on scoolman to have some. :p