• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hard to swallow pills for Newbies on the site

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A picture is worth a thousand words.

np_ftl_3.jpg

Now just add 8 legs...

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's why, despite the snickering, I construct a mote and do the transfers in the bathtub.

The only place they can go is for a swim. Multiple catch cups are also tactically placed as well.

I'm just concerned about how far a pokie can jump if it comes to that. They aren't jumping spiders...right?

I have all the components for the new cage. My P striata has outgrown his current enclosure because I can't maintain it without keeping out of the way.

I'll probably video the thing if I can figure out how to keep him from teleporting up the camera tripod. It'll be tricky but I think there's a way to do it.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's why, despite the snickering, I construct a mote and do the transfers in the bathtub.

The only place they can go is for a swim. Multiple catch cups are also tactically placed as well.

I'm just concerned about how far a pokie can jump if it comes to that. They aren't jumping spiders...right?

I have all the components for the new cage. My P striata has outgrown his current enclosure because I can't maintain it without keeping out of the way.

I'll probably video the thing if I can figure out how to keep him from teleporting up the camera tripod. It'll be tricky but I think there's a way to do it.
@Whitelightning777 : what if your T escapes and drowns in the moat?? You sound safe, but it doesn’t seem so great for the spider.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Pokies will run across that water like its concrete....up your bath tub and across your ceiling. Been there done that. I doubt it will bother a baboon or fast pumpkin patch either. It would probably slow down a large terrestrial, the key word is slow down. ;) Have you seen the video of tarantulas swimming??? They swim pretty fast. I've had pokies jump out of their enclosures...never trust a pokie.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's why I use cold water. It's unpleasant but not dangerous.

My H pulchripes decided to go for a run when I was rehousing him due to mold. He put about one or two toes into that water and turned right around and went straight up again.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The tarantula, unless it's H gigas or something like that, floats on top which makes capture easy. The lid is slid under the cup once it climbs out of the water or simply slid underneath. In even just one or two inches of water, it's easy.

Catch cup 2.jpg
Catch cup 1.jpg

Once attached, the cup is simply lifted up & the T placed into it's new enclosure. Strangely enough, the catch cup fits nicely over the cork bark round in the new enclosure!!

Drainage is automatic. No matter where the T is, it can be directly and gently be placed into it's new home.

Latest posts