• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cross breeding

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This now straight up, don't classify me or judge me in a personal reply. This is the hobby not my character in question, you don't know me personally so please don't send me messages like that. Like I've said I will ask the experts I'm not telling them anything I am ASKING. If that concept is too difficult, that's your problem. You said learn ? I'm trying to by wanting to ask the experts, and its an issue. Like I've said, it's only your views that count.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

I can't believe yo u are being so shortsighted. Unfortunately, attitudes like yours are why South Africans are so hated when it comes to tarantula keeping. Because they think they know it all without any experience. And that is why the tarantula hobby is in such a sad state in SA. 
As I said, the onus of proof is on you as you made the original claim and you have nothing to show for it.

Broaden your horizons a bit. Don't just listen to random things that pet shop people tell you. Join the big forums (Arachnoboards, BTS, etc). Read. Read some more. And then some more.
If not, you fit into that classic saying we have: As jy dom is, moet jy suffer...En bly jy vir altyd dom.

I was like you years ago. One day you will look back at this conversation (If you are still in the hobby) and think, wow, I shouldn't have read instead of commenting. Till then, enjoy and read.

Just because I question things, and I adopted the persons view. Now this is surely not for me, I went and posted a question to experts not knowing the outcome I might be wrong or right willing to accept, also all of you Google the problems people talk about due to hybrids see if I lied with what I've read. Don't just believe search !!! As for this, I am done. Again go and look for yourself.

Here is where I posted.

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answers/viewtopic.php?pid=23981#p23981

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I am done replying to Martin, but for everyone else on facebook, go check this out:
On another thread here i read with dismay "hybrids are sterile". Well, no. Some hybrids in some cases are sterile, many are not. Some hybrids are less vigorous, some are not. Here's an image of a healthy adult female 2nd generation offspring of B. "vagans" x B. "albopilosum" (where the female was a lovely golden coloured curly haired tarantula), resulting in a large batch of spiderlings, one of which gave an adult female backcrossed with a male B. "vagans", and again gave many healthy spiderlings, one of which grew into this beautiful girl. How do i know, because I backcrossed the second generation myself, and genetically compared this, the mother and the grandmother, all which matched absolutely with other "purebred' honduran curly hairs, B. albopilosum". When you see this picture, do you see just see a 'B. vagans' ... or maybe 'sure that's B.epicureanum' or 'sure B.sabulosum'? Because, myself I'm absolutely sure it is a 2nd generation backcross hybrid.

It is on this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tkeepers/ by Stuart Longhorn.
Very interesting...

clutchnasty

3 Year Member
what have i done? hahaha! guys this thread is still going? bump. btw i got a new spider for my bday. i got p metallica. omg the blue is just ugh!

entomology

3 Year Member
Ok the topic is cross breeding . Simple answer !!! It's not condoned by people who work with the species in question . The people that do research on a specific species and study them takes years to fully understand their full ecology. People who cross breed do not know the future repercussions of what you are doing and the consequences thereof. This sis not practiced in zoos or parks that have ethical protocols implemented . Cross breeding can cause a multitude if problems.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I think it's a pretty interesting project that I am working on. But once everything is concluded, it will make a lot more sense. :)
I agree that hybrids are bad when they are put into the public hobby though. When they are restricted to my place only with some interesting possible outcomes I feel it is definately worth it. :)

Latest posts