• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cross breeding

clutchnasty

3 Year Member
Hey guys, you know how you can cross breed ball pythons to different morphs. Is it possible for tarantulas to be cross bred?

clutchnasty

3 Year Member
i was just wondering, I'm pretty sure my rose hair will be late snack if i try to mate it with my LP haha

clutchnasty

3 Year Member
Okay, back to the topic. Since the offspring will be infertile. Is it possible for you to that step?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
they will not neccesarily be infertile, but they won't produce anything visual. and in effect it makes everything worse. It's a pointless venture, that will just alienate a breeder in the eyes of responsible keepers.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Be very careful clutch, you are swimming in very dangerous waters. Like kenny said, continuing in this venture will only alienate you within the hobby.

clutchnasty

3 Year Member
Its not like I will start mating them, I just wanted to know if it was possible. Im pretty sure it happen in the wild, but it seems you guys want to keep it the way god intended it to be...

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They will be if its not the same species, like a Brachypelma and say a lasiodora. Same species have been crossed and are fertile, for example a Brachypelma smithi and a Brachypelma Emilia. Outside the same specie/genus, they will not be fertile. Also, abnormalities are well documented when species are interbred meaning hybrids not my words but studies. So in the end, yes they can be interbred, they can be fertile but with possible bad results and also destroying a genus and fellow tarantula hobbyists trust.

Last edited:

Latest posts