• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cross breeding

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
He would tell me what you've said but more, because I want to arrange for identification etc.

He is going to tell you this: ;)
And just chatted to Stefan Phalagorn, the top guy on Asian Theraphosids.
Here is his message to me:
Ah ok. Well, the species we have in the hobby known as C. "huahini" doesn't fit the C. huahini holotype. (which is unofficially synonymous with C. dyscolus). The the species we have in the hobby known as C. "huahini" = an unidentified Chilobrachys sp. from Thailand. The very same unidentified species was also sold as C. andersoni, C. sp. burmensis, C. bicolor, etc.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Who is to say between all the species in South Africa , there isn't a c.huahini/ Asian fawn ? Is there then no way a possibility for this ? You would have to inspect molts to make a general statement, I would feel as any other would inspect my tarantula/molt. Or am I being unreasonable ? Just to get clarification and peace of mind, if he then says no I have tried to do my part to be helpful with his cause.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Who is to say between all the species in South Africa , there isn't a c.huahini/ Asian fawn ? Is there then no way a possibility for this ? You would have to inspect molts to make a general statement, I would feel as any other would inspect my tarantula/molt. Or am I being unreasonable ? Just to get clarification and peace of mind, if he then says no I have tried to do my part to be helpful with his cause.
There might be, but what I am trying to prove with the above statement from Stefan is that you don't know what we have, so if you are against hybrids, breeding any of these together could result in a hybrid. :)

This thread has gone a bit South, but just remembered what my original question was. After a night and morning of searching, I am yet to find a report of hybrid tarantulas having moulting issues, deformities or high death rates. The search continues though...
And until I get any cases of this, this REALLY will be my last post on this thread (Unless something interesting comes up... ;) )

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm in this hobby because I love it, but if the experts are not approachable, how would I learn facts and grow not just have a maybe ? Information and facts, support longevity of anything we do or are involved in. We make uneducated mistakes, so allow us to be educated by those are leaders in the field. Would you speak to a companies CEO or his secretary ? To a doctor or a nurse ? To a teacher or fellow student ? If you are in doubt, ask but ask appropriately. If I could send someone else a molt,photos etc for ID and know 100% I would get a correct answer I would. So my option now is ask the leader in the field.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And until I get the contrary, like in my post I've stated no evidence no proof same as you've said. Not individuals, but sacks being documented with data results. It can go anyway, also as stated how honest will most be with failure ? We will have to agree to disagree,hope you have a great day.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
And until I get the contrary, like in my post I've stated no evidence no proof same as you've said. Not individuals, but sacks being documented with data results. It can go anyway, also as stated how honest will most be with failure ? We will have to agree to disagree,hope you have a great day.

Sorry, have to reply to this...
Firstly, no study has ever been done on survival rates of slings from a pure sac that I am aware of, so nothing to compare it to.
I have given you first hand accounts of my spiders that have had ZERO problems that you have mentioned, from numerous Genera and species.
I have given examples of hobby specimens that are possibly hybrids with ZERO problems that you have mentioned, from numerous Genera and species.
You are yet to even give me a first hand account or a link to ANY post/email/anything anywhere.

You made the claim that there are moulting problems, deformities, high death rates, so the onus of proof is on YOU to prove why you say so.

Unfortunately (Like I have said numerous times on this thread), you were never going to change your mind even if I give you live, problem free animals as proof, so this has actually just been a royal waste of time. :(

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Which documentation of healthy hybrids ? No accounts of normal sacks ? Lmao really ? So breeding reports what are those myth ? I am sorry to say, what you say is all that counts that I've realized, the ones I've agreed natural not man made. Those in the hobby a few mentioned. Give breeding reports of hybrids, that's when you will sway me. As for no documentation for normal sacks, I better start going to the forums and tell everyone to please start after all these years with real reports since what they've done isn't seen as that.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Which documentation of healthy hybrids ? No accounts of normal sacks ? Lmao really ? So breeding reports what are those myth ? I am sorry to say, what you say is all that counts that I've realized, the ones I've agreed natural not man made. Those in the hobby a few mentioned. Give breeding reports of hybrids, that's when you will sway me. As for no documentation for normal sacks, I better start going to the forums and tell everyone to please start after all these years with real reports since what they've done isn't seen as that.

The ones I own.
I will wait for you to post a link to a breeding report where they mention records of all of the offspring through to adulthood, mentioning if they have had any moulting problems.

Once again... Unfortunately (Like I have said numerous times on this thread), you were never going to change your mind even if I give you live, problem free animals as proof, so this has actually just been a royal waste of time. :(

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I'm on pc , I will make work of the links. Will be home today, been away. Will certainly do this, because you state what you have experienced. No breeding reports at all, taking individuals sorry doesn't count. Or do those leaders in the Field make judgement based on one or many specimens ? Answer that, you will then understand my point. I have posted my question to actual intellectuals, hopefully to get a reply since forum links mean nothing which you said yourself. So even if I post those links, you would not accept them.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Or do those leaders in the Field make judgement based on one or many specimens ? Answer that, you will then understand my point. I have posted my question to actual intellectuals, hopefully to get a reply since forum links mean nothing which you said yourself. So even if I post those links, you would not accept them.

Who did you contact?
I will gladly look and accept at any of the links that you post where they mention there are problems BECAUSE of being hybrids.
I'll await your reply.
Once again... Unfortunately (Like I have said numerous times on this thread), you were never going to change your mind even if I give you live, problem free animals as proof, so this has actually just been a royal waste of time. :(

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You gave your account, since you always seem to want to be right. I'm willing to be swayed, give me facts. Go and look at breeding reports, must say its obvious to see only your opinions count. That's where I now end this, proof = sway. Not your accounts of things, and if I'm proven wrong so what ? I have contributed to a topic which would love disclosure.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Why do my accounts not count as proof?
Unfortunately (Like I have said numerous times on this thread), you were never going to change your mind even if I give you live, problem free animals as proof, so this has actually just been a royal waste of time. :(