• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WORRIED!!!

angelle

3 Year Member
My Chilean Rose Hair started molting at sometime this morning. About 10ish AM. It's now 7:54pm and she doesn't appear to have made any progress. I'm really beginning to worry.

B936EE7C-815B-48EE-87F9-CA3668D0D933_zpsaf28qr57.jpg

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Do you have any idea how old she is?

Also, I would recommend changing out your substrate. Bark chips are not very natural for tarantulas and they can't effectively burrow in them. I would try either potting soil(plain old cheap stuff, nothing with added ferts), or eco earth even.

Good luck!

angelle

3 Year Member
It's actually coconut husks. Not entirely sure how old she is. The pet store didn't know when I asked. I have a hide in there that she uses. I basically bought her because they weren't caring for her properly.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Either way, coconut husks or bark, they can't burrow with it at all.

Kudos for taking her in. It may just take awhile, I know the one time my Porteri molted it took the entire day.

angelle

3 Year Member
This is my first molt so I'm terrified. Is she suppose to move? Or are the movements so slow and small that you can't see them? I know, I'm a total novice lol

I'll definitely change her substrate as soon as I get in to the pet store... or garden center lol.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats! Im glad all went well...yeah it can be a little nerve racking but in my experience a watch pot never molts

angelle

3 Year Member
Lol and that's EXACTLY what happened. She sat all day and did nothing. And then molted once I went to sleep. I was so looking forward to seeing her molting lol. But the important thing is that she successfully and safety molted.

khatchet

3 Year Member
Yes it is. In side the old exoskeleton the new one is shrunken, so after they molt the stretch out so the new exoskeleton is at full size when it hardens.

angelle

3 Year Member
Wow do they usually change colour so drastically??? She was an orange/brown colour and now she looks grey/silver and black. And has two pink spots, one on either side of her eyes.

khatchet

3 Year Member
The color is always a bit darker right after a molt, she will fade back to her old color.

Latest posts