• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spider escape.....

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
O boy...just went in to feed and found the door to my full grown P. ornata enclosure unlatched...not open but it does default to the closed position - just not snapped shut...no spider obvious with a minimal amount of " look- under-this- and- that " in the enclosure...no webs trailing around outside... maybe a few poop specs on a near wall - but that could be old dust...no big creature adorning the wall or ceiling...
Do you think he/she would just hole up and hide? My spiders are in a small separate room that was once a porch and got enclosed - no where to go but under the camping equipment stored there and, of course, various shelving/tables for spider boxes - a slightly stuffed room.
I tried calling...got no response...
Palmetto bugs(rather large local roaches) get in from around the back of the fireplace into this room...there's actually something the spider could eat...
Needless to say I am not thrilled...

timc

3 Year Member
You could put a feeder in the enclosure and see if she’s in there. If she is indeed out the first thing she probably looked for I’d a new hide. Slowly, carefully, thoroughly take the room apart. Just have a catch cup ready. Keep us posted.

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
Thank you...yup...feeder in enclosure...still contemplating room search beyond what I have already done...it will be a small nightmare in a very small room...and I can't move the furniture...the catch BIG cup is ready!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When my Juvi P. metallica made her bid for freedom I searched the room, pulling out furniture shining a torch into dark corners but just couldn't find her. I'd only searched the side of the room where her container was and decided to have a few minutes rest before tackling the rest of the room. I was so glad I did. I was sitting at the opposite end of the room just looking across to where I'd already searched when I spotted her. She was 6"below her container tucked in the corner of the unit where the glass doors met the wood frame in a typical Pokie pose making her very hard to see.

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
I have a painted image in my mind from the original 'Alien' movie. The scene where they are searching for the facehugger in the medical bay.

Joking aside I hope you find it soon and all ends well safely for both of you.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a painted image in my mind from the original 'Alien' movie.
Better yet, this scene
1800482598900698.gif

I'd bet she is still in the enclosure...

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Where I'm living and where the tarantulas are if one escaped I would never ever find it. I really want a P. regalis but due to this I simply can't risk it.

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
I am a little concerned...if she climbed the little spider room was an add-on once upon a time...it contains the back of a now closed fireplace....there are a few cracks around the edges that might admit a brave T to the outside......at least I think that's where it would go

Nunua

3 Year Member
If you can't find her now, you may try going in the room at night. She might have moved to more visible spot when the room is calm and dark.
I wish you best of luck!