• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RedCapTrio Ts

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
upload_2015-12-12_1-17-39.png

I may not have a B. smithi at all... o_O :T:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What do you guys think? I have been wondering why when I am looking at B. smithi photos and I kept thinking that there is something off about mine...

Thistles

3 Year Member
B. auratum have very clearly defined patches of BRIGHT red just on the patella. B. smithi has more diffuse reddish color on it. Here are pictures from net-bug.net showing both species:
Brachypelma auratum
http://www.net-bug.net/webstore/NETBUG GALLERY 1 039-1.JPG
Brachypelma smithi
http://www.net-bug.net/webstore/Bsmithi - Copy-4.jpg

The exuvia you posted looks like a Brachypelma smithi, but the color becomes better-defined as the spider grows. Tartar himself could go both ways imo at this point. Here's hoping you got lucky - B. auratum is my favorite brachy!

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
B. auratum have very clearly defined patches of BRIGHT red just on the patella. B. smithi has more diffuse reddish color on it. Here are pictures from net-bug.net showing both species:
Brachypelma auratum
http://www.net-bug.net/webstore/NETBUG GALLERY 1 039-1.JPG
Brachypelma smithi
http://www.net-bug.net/webstore/Bsmithi - Copy-4.jpg

The exuvia you posted looks like a Brachypelma smithi, but the color becomes better-defined as the spider grows. Tartar himself could go both ways imo at this point. Here's hoping you got lucky - B. auratum is my favorite brachy!

Yup, you may be right. A couple more molts will definitely solve it. Too early to jump the gun at this point. :D

I was just surprised at the flame shape knee thing that I caught on cam.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
By the way, @Thistles

Can you see the photos from Tarantupedia that I posted in my posts? I am just using the Snipping Tool and just copy and pasted so I am not so sure.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i have no idea. Looking at pictures online I can't tell them apart.

Edit: Ah i do see :) Smithi have the orange and red knee, Auratum is just red.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Yeah @RedCapTrio I can see your pics just fine. You could very well be correct. I'm excited for you! Both are amazing species, but I've always loved Brachypelma auratum. I just got my first ever for my birthday, but it's like 1/2" so I have to wait for a long time to see the pretty.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Time will tell though. It's not the first time a sling is sold under a different name. :)

Thistles

3 Year Member
Time will tell though. It's not the first time a sling is sold under a different name. :)
My 3rd and 4th tarantulas were both supposed to be Avicularia avicularia from the same sac, bought from the same breeder. One turned out to be a A. metallica. Surprise! The breeder said he had a sac of each at the same time and one must have been mislabeled. The same thing could certainly have happened to yours. Lucky you!

I also have some mystery Hapalopus sp that was supposed to be an Augacephalus ezendami. That one isn't even CLOSE.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Got a few Ts coming this weekend! Fingers crossed that they'll arrived safe and sound.

1 - A. geniculata
2 - C. cyaneopubescens
3 - G. pulchripes (another one cause it's a freebie!)
4 - C. darlingi (will be my first OW species)

:T: :T: :T: :T:

Yes! I got to update my signature line once again. But too bad, the GBB that was reserved for me got sold to another buyer by the dealer's wife without his knowledge (or so he says). So he gave me this instead:

another freebie chaco for the "misdeal".

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Another freebie but unfortunately DOA

My supposedly starter T for OWs. Too bad. :(

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This makes

:T: :T: :T: :T: :T: :T: :T: :T: :T: :T: :T:

A GBB will complete the dozen. Alas, my first GBB died for no reason and my almost second got sold to another. Are these signs that I may not be destined to own a GBB? :( o_O :mad: