• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. regalis sling

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey guys, first time posting.

I've recently acquired a P. regalis sling, although I've had a G. rosea for 5 years and a P. murinus for 2.
Since I've never cared for a sling I wanted to be sure I'm doing everything alright with it.
The sling is about 4cm or so (legspan).

GwrqHxW.jpg

bwWumrk.jpg

Does everything look right with the enclosure? Does it have a good size?

It's currently dug near the cork bark, I've read that slings from this specie do this, so I'm not worried about that.
Yesterday I've placed a small live cricket there, and I can't see it today. Is it fine to assume it has been eaten? I've not seen the T eat it though. Is it possible to be buried in the substrate? Last thing I want to happen is for the cricket to bother the T while molting. I think I'll kill the crickets from now on. Just to be on the safe side.

I'm keeping it in temperatures between 26-28ºC.

Cheers
I am by no means an expert although IMHO the set up looks fine. If you want more floor space use a smaller water dish, milk bottle tops usually spot on size wise. Nice looking T too. :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would have put a lot more holes in there to be honest. Looks like you drilled a few at the top and then a few at the bottom, but none in the middle.
00f7f3b5494a4958ad38a79ec88f49b7.jpg

dryh

3 Year Member
I followed the previous advice in the upgraded enclosure. The first one seemed a bit small for the T now.

MPxbv25.jpg

ZlvvxLV.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very nice! Personally i'd have drilled more holes in the original enclosure. That T is only about 1.5" judging by the size of your thumb, he should be fine in the one you had him in until 3" or so i'd think. I tend to keep them in the same house for a while. Mine have had issues finding prey if i rehouse them larger too early.

dryh

3 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback kormath. The little bugger seems to be doing just fine, it has molted again the last few days. :)

dryh

3 Year Member
Just messed around with this T today and remembered I had a post in here. Might as well update.
About 5 or 6 inch all pread out. I suspect it is a male, if anyone could confirm.
I'm remodeling the enclosure, I might post something here when its done.

OI6AE4N.png

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would advise using a container that is totally clear, not foggy. That way you can really see it without being tempted to open the top.

Tarantulas don't care if it's clear. They are perfectly capable of using vibration. Humans are not. A cloudy cage = giving the tarantula more power and control then you have.

Besides, they look great and photos are lots of fun but won't work well through fog.

dryh

3 Year Member
The T hasn't been in that container for about 2 years. She has been in 30x30x40 glass terrarium. And will continue to be, just trying something different with it.

dryh

3 Year Member
Thats a healthy looking male. I have a big female if you want to sell him for breeding. Shoot me a pm if interested.

I live in Portugal, so I guess that's harder to pull off. But thanks!

I cleaned up the pic and here's what I found. I'm not totally sure but it might be male.

I think the way the pattern looks on the abdomen and the fact that the abdomen looks smaller is a given too, right? What setting did you use to do that to the picture?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used Photoshop express and increased exposure, sharpness and clarity to the max.

After doing that, I increased vibrance and decreased saturation to bring it back down to a normal but better looking color strength.

Here's another before and after.

Mini me improving 1.jpg

Before

T stirmi Mini me improving 2.jpg

After. You can see the pattern which much more closely resembles what it actually looks like. You have to actually see what it looks like or it's all an educated guess.

dryh

3 Year Member
Coming back for some closure, before anything thanks to everyone who helped in this thread, I appreciate it.

The other day I heard him drumming alone and I felt sorry for him, I mean I know it really doesn't make any difference, but eh.
I tried my luck and found someone who had a female in my country to pair him with.
Long story-short, the female got him and killed him, several hours after first introduction. The other person let them together overnight, which I don't really agree with 100%, and it feels bad that he died the way he did, but I still think it was worth the try, seeing that he would have died in the next couple of months or so anyways.

Is it rare for the female to eat the male after mating? Is there any chance that they still managed to mate?

Latest posts