• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. regalis sling

dryh

3 Year Member
Hey guys, first time posting.

I've recently acquired a P. regalis sling, although I've had a G. rosea for 5 years and a P. murinus for 2.
Since I've never cared for a sling I wanted to be sure I'm doing everything alright with it.
The sling is about 4cm or so (legspan).

GwrqHxW.jpg

bwWumrk.jpg

Does everything look right with the enclosure? Does it have a good size?

It's currently dug near the cork bark, I've read that slings from this specie do this, so I'm not worried about that.
Yesterday I've placed a small live cricket there, and I can't see it today. Is it fine to assume it has been eaten? I've not seen the T eat it though. Is it possible to be buried in the substrate? Last thing I want to happen is for the cricket to bother the T while molting. I think I'll kill the crickets from now on. Just to be on the safe side.

I'm keeping it in temperatures between 26-28ºC.

Cheers

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Hello dryh. Your enclosure looks fine in my opinion. It's good you have given enough substrate, because as slings they really like to dig at the bottom of the bark a safe and cosy burrow. If you can put a small waterdish (like a bottle cap of soda, or something like that), it would be better than spraying the sides. I think you have enough room on the bottom for that. Otherwise, I wouldn't change anything.

In two (or three) molts, you will have to rehouse it in a bigger enclosure (maybe the final one).

dryh

3 Year Member
Thanks for the reply Nicolas.
I think I have the space for a bottle cap. I wasn't sure if I should use one already given the size of the T.

My only concern is if the T will have enough space to molt if I use all the space at the bottom.

Cheers

dryh

3 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback MassExodus.
I agree with you, I only remembered of doing so after housing the T. I will most likely do it tomorrow. A few holes in 2 of the sides.
Should the holes be near the top or more towards the center of the container?

I hope I don't stress the little bugger too much though.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I think I have the space for a bottle cap. I wasn't sure if I should use one already given the size of the T.
My only concern is if the T will have enough space to molt if I use all the space at the bottom.

Size is no problems, you can get one bottle cap, your T won't risk anything. And it will give you a security if it needs to drink or moisture.

For molting space, no problems either: as it's still a sling, it will molt inside the burrow (underground), but as it will grow up, it'll molt up in the enclosure, on a web specially spinned in that goal.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with you, I only remembered of doing so after housing the T. I will most likely do it tomorrow. A few holes in 2 of the sides.

If it were me, I would put the other vent holes near the bottom, just above the substrate. That way, moisture from misting and water dishes will dry out instead of trying to mold. I've done all of my moisture dependent spider's enclosures like this, and it's worked out very well. We're human, so sometimes we over do it with the water, or accidentally spill too much filling water dishes, etc. It does cause the water dish to go dry quicker, especially if you put a full ring of holes all the way around. But I don't mind doing maintenance, it's like fishing for me, very relaxing :)

dryh

3 Year Member
Thanks for the replies and the welcoming once again guys, appreciated.

For molting space, no problems either: as it's still a sling, it will molt inside the burrow (underground), but as it will grow up, it'll molt up in the enclosure, on a web specially spinned in that goal.

I had no idea it would molt in it's burrow. Good to know!

If it were me, I would put the other vent holes near the bottom, just above the substrate. That way, moisture from misting and water dishes will dry out instead of trying to mold.

Alright will do near the bottom.

Tomorrow I will add the vent holes and bottle cap. This way I can also check if she ate the cricket as well, so I don't get paranoid about it either.
Thanks for the solid advises!

Cheers

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

For a pokie or psalmo I drill holes from the top about 3/4 of the way down. If it were an Avic or Iridopelma (the only truly arboreal tarantulas that I can think of, I would concentrate more on drilling holes around the top of the enclosure, since these two don't come down to the ground much. If you're planning in adding more holes, definitely take the tarantula out prior to doing so. Keeping it in there while drilling into the enclosure will likely freak it out a lot more than simply removing it temporarily.

dryh

3 Year Member
Thanks for the reply Chubbs.
I will definitely make the holes without the T there. What I said might give the impression that I would make the holes with the T in there.
What I meant about stressing the T, is that I will handle it again after it was shipped to me so recently (I have the T only since Wednesday).

So you make your ventholes more vertically then? I might do a "hybrid" of the suggestions made. With some holes more at the top and some at the bottom. Since I'll have the bottle cap in there for humidity I don't think I can over do the ventilation.

Cheers

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here are the changes I made today.
vRDkjIv.jpg

I think it ate the cricket I've placed there the other day. I didn't find it. Just weird that I didn't see the spider eating it.

Cheers
Looks good. I would put more at the bottom, but that's just personal preference, because my ambient humidity here runs from 60% to 100% in the spring, summer, and fall, so i tend to get mold. In the winter my heaters kick on and dry it out, and humidity stays around 40%, so its not a problem. Ambient conditions have a large effect on how different people care for their Invertebrates.

dryh

3 Year Member
Thanks for the comments guys.

How often should I feed the bugger? I've read that if I feed it every other day it will grow faster. But just for a guideline, what is the least I should feed it? At least once a week?

dryh

3 Year Member
I was just wondering, I intend in feeding it more than once a week. So far i gave it 2 crickets and they are gone. I think they were too small for it though, because I never caught the spider eating them. I think it digested the crickets very quickly. Would a cricket about the size of the body of the T be too big?

dryh

3 Year Member
Hey guys, just wanted to say that the little bugger molted on the last few days.
Seems to be just fine, although he hasn't eaten for a while, but that's expected.

The major difference I can see it's the legspan, the body size looks almost the same to me.

Happy holidays