• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

OBT Escape artists....

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I actually had a very close encounter with my juvenile OBT today. Upon arriving home from work, I saw that the lid to her enclosure was half-way off and she had managed to crawl through the gap and was resting on the outside of the container. My cat was on the bed, so the first thing I did was put her out and close the door. I took a little plastic pipette that I use to squeeze water onto the sub/webbing (rather than misting), and was able to draw her back into the enclosure by dribbling some water onto her webbing, and then I immediately replaced the lid. Thank god I was able to remain calm the entire time, because things could have turned out so much different had I panicked upon first walking in and seeing this. Anyway, just thought this would be a somewhat relevant thread for me to share this event in.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would have freaked like nobody's business... so glad you found your friend lol.. whew! close one :)
Trust me, I may have done the same in the past. I guess when it comes to interacting with these animals, I'm just very accustomed to thinking on my feet and having to get creative. My first instinct was to guide her back in using my tongs or paintbrush, but then I thought to myself "What if instead of running into her container, she runs the other way?" So I thought perhaps if I tried dripping some water on the webbing, that she may mistake it for the vibrations of a cricket, and go over to investigate. Now if only I can apply this type of thinking to more significant things in life [emoji14]

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Trust me, I may have done the same in the past. I guess when it comes to interacting with these animals, I'm just very accustomed to thinking on my feet and having to get creative. My first instinct was to guide her back in using my tongs or paintbrush, but then I thought to myself "What if instead of running into her container, she runs the other way?" So I thought perhaps if I tried dripping some water on the webbing, that she may mistake it for the vibrations of a cricket, and go over to investigate. Now if only I can apply this type of thinking to more significant things in life [emoji14]

I've actually lost Jewelz twice in the past, and was always able to find her by "thinking like a spider", so it's not losing a T, it's what T that escaped that would have freaked me out. An escaped OBT is nothing to sneeze at, so I genuinely applaud your okay don't freak out I've got this stamina :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've actually lost Jewelz twice in the past, and was always able to find her by "thinking like a spider", so it's not losing a T, it's what T that escaped that would have freaked me out. An escaped OBT is nothing to sneeze at, so I genuinely applaud your okay don't freak out I've got this stamina :)

Well thank you I certainly appreciate that. I know what you mean though. Sure if it was an Avic or even a Psalmo that got out I'd be worried of course, but it'd be more of a concern if an OBT or something like that got out. Only thing worse than an OBT on the loose would be an S.calceatum on the loose :p Also since we're on the subject of P.murinus, I thought I'd mention this interesting bit of trivia. Not sure if you already know this, but The "OBT" is actually the orange color form of the "Mombassa Golden Starburst Baboon." The orange form or what we refer to as an OBT is currently the most commonly available form of Pterinochilus murinus in captivity, although it used to be the normal color phase (the golden starburst baboon) in years past that was more widely available. The OBT is a somewhat less widespread variation of P.murinus that is found in the Usambara mountain range (Hence why the OBT is commonly called the "Usambara Orange Baboon). There is also a very rare dark color phase of P.murinus that is all black, but I have only seen a few individuals in captivity here and there. Not sure how widespread this color form is in the wild. All 3 are just different color variations of P.murinus, although some believe them to be totally different species or subspecies. Hopefully I got everything right.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well thank you I certainly appreciate that. I know what you mean though. Sure if it was an Avic or even a Psalmo that got out I'd be worried of course, but it'd be more of a concern if an OBT or something like that got out. Only thing worse than an OBT on the loose would be an S.calceatum on the loose :p Also since we're on the subject of P.murinus, I thought I'd mention this interesting bit of trivia. Not sure if you already know this, but The "OBT" is actually the orange color form of the "Mombassa Golden Starburst Baboon." The orange form or what we refer to as an OBT is currently the most commonly available form of Pterinochilus murinus in captivity, although it used to be the normal color phase (the golden starburst baboon) in years past that was more widely available. The OBT is a somewhat less widespread variation of P.murinus that is found in the Usambara mountain range (Hence why the OBT is commonly called the "Usambara Orange Baboon). There is also a very rare dark color phase of P.murinus that is all black, but I have only seen a few individuals in captivity here and there. Not sure how widespread this color form is in the wild. All 3 are just different color variations of P.murinus, although some believe them to be totally different species or subspecies. Hopefully I got everything right.
I read there's 3 color variations as well. I've often wondered why the others weren't in the hobby much. There is a local pet store that sells the gold starburst near me, but I've never even heard of a black one. Isn't there one that's a darker shade of orange that's almost red? I think I remember seeing those on YouTube. They were smoother looking than my fluffy orange obts, and like a burnt orange color. Anyone know what I mean? I'll look them up if I have to.. :p Is there an RCF? Maybe that's what they were..ok I'm looking it up..

Will

3 Year Member
One of my RCF P. murinus slings which is just over half an inch did a runner yesterday when I was cleaning the substrate. I coaxed it into a small container, which went fine and then did all the cleaning. But coaxing it out again it decided it wanted to go the wrong way, onto my dining table and then hid under anything it could find, including table mats, drinks coasters and a piece of paper.

All I can say is wow, these critters are super fast!!

When they get a bit bigger I will be taking many more precautions dealing with these. Any time I rehouse or remove from the enclosure to clean, I will be doing so in the bath tub. I will probably use a variation of the 'bottle' technique too.

Latest posts