• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

OBT Escape artists....

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
I have a 2" OBT sling coming tomorrow in the post (according to USPS tracking it should be here tomorrow). My question is this: Because they can be so very fast and so very defensive, I'd like to reduce the amount of rehousing I have to put the critter through as well as the amount of adult diapers I might have to go through in the process of said rehousing, lol, SO, does anyone know, or think, the "vents" on the lid of a common large KK will allow for chance of escape? I plan on allowing it to live its natural life out in a 5-10 gal (max) tank, but until that comes next week it will be in the large KK. The vents on the KK look to be no bigger than 1/8" wide, if this helps.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I have a 2" OBT sling coming tomorrow in the post (according to USPS tracking it should be here tomorrow). My question is this: Because they can be so very fast and so very defensive, I'd like to reduce the amount of rehousing I have to put the critter through as well as the amount of adult diapers I might have to go through in the process of said rehousing, lol, SO, does anyone know, or think, the "vents" on the lid of a common large KK will allow for chance of escape? I plan on allowing it to live its natural life out in a 5-10 gal (max) tank, but until that comes next week it will be in the large KK. The vents on the KK look to be no bigger than 1/8" wide, if this helps.

I have found them able to squeeze out of some extremely small places- my poec is more interested in escaping than my OBT, in fact my obt has been a dream of a T- still only about an inch and was very easy to house when I got him. you can always add some plastic wrap to the outside of the vents and make smaller holes until you feel it's out of the danger zone. I think you will have no problem eyeing it for size and should know if it's necessary to adjust the vents. KK's have some pretty tiny slits the only time I have had to add wrap is for my pin head crickets. :)

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
I have found them able to squeeze out of some extremely small places- my poec is more interested in escaping than my OBT, in fact my obt has been a dream of a T- still only about an inch and was very easy to house when I got him. you can always add some plastic wrap to the outside of the vents and make smaller holes until you feel it's out of the danger zone. I think you will have no problem eyeing it for size and should know if it's necessary to adjust the vents. KK's have some pretty tiny slits the only time I have had to add wrap is for my pin head crickets. :)

Is there a "go by" rule for OBT's, or any sling for that matter? I know some such as mice etc are "if they can get their head through they can squeeze the rest of them through. How do I gauge this for a T? Thanks :) I'm just erring on the side of caution and might, indeed, add a bit of plastic or foil around the outside if in doubt.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would say no, but I personally wouldn't want to risk it. I stopped using kritter keeper because of those vents, plus I hate the tiny opening at the top. There's barely any room to work in there with the tongs, and that's not something you want when working with a fast-moving species. Just my opinion though. I realize you already made the purchase, but I would've suggested keeping a few faster-moving and defensive New Worlds like Psalmopoeus or Ephebopus or one of the more laid-back and less venomous Old Worlds like A.ezendami, M.balfouri, or C.darlingi/marshali. But what's done is done. Best of luck with the sling. They do grow very fast so be prepared.

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
I would say no, but I personally wouldn't want to risk it. I stopped using kritter keeper because of those vents, plus I hate the tiny opening at the top. There's barely any room to work in there with the tongs, and that's not something you want when working with a fast-moving species. Just my opinion though. I realize you already made the purchase, but I would've suggested keeping a few faster-moving and defensive New Worlds like Psalmopoeus or Ephebopus or one of the more laid-back and less venomous Old Worlds like A.ezendami, M.balfouri, or C.darlingi/marshali. But what's done is done. Best of luck with the sling. They do grow very fast so be prepared.

Thank you for your consideration, of both my and the T's safety :) I have a mini, mid and large KK, and a 5 and a 10 gallon tank, all used at one point or another to house a growing T or scorp. The med KK is housing a few crickets at the moment, which can easily be transferred to any container I have handy in my kitchen I'm sure. I'm good with enclosures, it's just which to start with. I will keep the boards posted as best I can :)

swimbait

3 Year Member
OBTs aren't as bad as some are making them out to be imo. OBT rehousings usually go much smoother for me than pokies. For the 2 inch I would I either use the mini or the medium personally. They will web the enclosure much more in a smaller environment rather than a big one. Give it a big meal and no way its fitting through those vents

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Obts are likely to be runners, in my experience. Fast, but not uncontrollable. Rehouse in a bathtub with a catchcup ready. Mine are both spastic when you take them from their home. Not too bad though, in a controlled environment they can be very amusing. Just be calm and never panic with them, they will panic enough for you both :) lol

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
OBTs aren't as bad as some are making them out to be imo. OBT rehousings usually go much smoother for me than pokies. For the 2 inch I would I either use the mini or the medium personally. They will web the enclosure much more in a smaller environment rather than a big one. Give it a big meal and no way its fitting through those vents

Lilith, does this cricket make my bum look fat? :T: No, but your bum won't let you get through the doorway :D:p:D

I'm leaning towards the medium as well. And the more I feel that trepidation of the impending unboxng and rehousing, the more I'm resisting them by sliding back towards the feelings which led me towards the inclination that I'm okay with including one in my collection, feelings that as long as I know what the possibilities are, move slowly and calmly, and not feel intimidated, then the T shouldn't either. Also, this sp can't throw it's hair, so the over the top defensive to offensive reaction is understandable and worthy of respect on my part. T's function on vibration and pheromones, if I'm not mistaken, so move slow, don't give off an "I'm scared to death of you" scent (?), and move with determination. I guess? lol

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Obts are likely to be runners, in my experience. Fast, but not uncontrollable. Rehouse in a bathtub with a catchcup ready. Mine are both spastic when you take them from their home. Not too bad though, in a controlled environment they can be very amusing. Just be calm and never panic with them, they will panic enough for you both :) lol

Well said, in the tub is where I planned on rehousing, complete with a catch-cup and a Valium (half for me, half for the T) ((JOKE))

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member

Thanks for your advice and your support. I will be able to make a better decision when I actually see the T tomorrow. Rehousing will be done in the bathtub, and I am prepared for the rapid growth rate of this T. Total opposite of the other T I ordered, the B. smithi. Opposite ends of the spectrum for sure :)

swimbait

3 Year Member
Yep definitely rehouse in bathtub. It's likely your T is going to come packaged in paper towel, a lot of tarantulas are a little slow to realize whats going on. I would open the packaged vial over the medium kritter keeper and should be easy to guide it in.

Simon Chen

3 Year Member
For any aggresive T, I rehouse using the bottle method. Get any suitably sized plastic bottle and cut the bottom off and poke a hole in the lid just big enough for a paintbrush or straw. (make sure there arent any sharp edges as to not harm your T) I use a bendy straw through the cap to usher the t into the bottle. Then I cover the opening with a piece of card stock. Then just release it in the new enclosure. If the t is being stubborn then blow into the hole. Safe and easy everytime

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For any aggresive T, I rehouse using the bottle method. Get any suitably sized plastic bottle and cut the bottom off and poke a hole in the lid just big enough for a paintbrush or straw. (make sure there arent any sharp edges as to not harm your T) I use a bendy straw through the cap to usher the t into the bottle. Then I cover the opening with a piece of card stock. Then just release it in the new enclosure. If the t is being stubborn then blow into the hole. Safe and easy everytime
Same here, people can think of me as overly cautious, maybe even a bit paranoid, but for me it all comes down to respect for these animals. Yes people do often exaggerate and make certain species, such as P.murinus out to be a lot worse than they are. Make no mistake folks, they will surprise you some day. How they'll do this, or what the end result of this surprise will be, I of course have no way of saying, and I pray it will be something that you as the owner can take control of. I'm far from an expert, but I do feel a mutual respect for these animals, and I don't feel worth letting my guard down around them. It's just not worth it, for the tarantula or for me.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Personally I think accidents happen because some people in the hobby still fear spiders. I think that's ok, as long as you overcome your fear with intelligence. There are a few species that can be uncontrollably fast, just remain calm and use your head, or use safe methods like the one described. A controlled environment like a bathtub in a sealed and spider proof bathroom is not redundant even using the bottle method.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Personally I think accidents happen because some people in the hobby still fear spiders. I think that's ok, as long as you overcome your fear with intelligence. There are a few species that can be uncontrollably fast, just remain calm and use your head, or use safe methods like the one described. A controlled environment like a bathtub in a sealed and spider proof bathroom is not redundant even using the bottle method.

I agree with all of this for sure, I feel like having that mutual respect though is still a key factor in all of this. I think underestimating them or getting too complacent around them often ends badly, as they'll surprise you when you least expect it. Of course you can go the other way and be overly cautious, like many things , I think it's all about finding a happy medium.

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
I agree with all of this for sure, I feel like having that mutual respect though is still a key factor in all of this. I think underestimating them or getting too complacent around them often ends badly, as they'll surprise you when you least expect it. Of course you can go the other way and be overly cautious, like many things , I think it's all about finding a happy medium.

It is really all about the balance :)

Latest posts