• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Genic enclosure

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Got this on a whim from Amazon. Acrylic Crystal Zoo enclosure. Here's the link - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VEDTA80?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
20151221_184251.jpg

Better than i expected when i opened it. Bad part, it really stinks like plastic. I washed it really well and let it air out for a few hours before i put it together and set it up. I was worried the smell wouldn't be good for the Ts.

It comes in pieces. This one says it's 6.3"x6.3"x6.3", but the measurements on the inside are just under 6" on each side. I didn't really measure it to get an exact.
20151221_184447.jpg

First concern. Vent slots are huge, if the Genic wasn't hiding in his hide in premolt i'd be worried. Tomorrow i'll be going to the hardware store to get heavy duty screen to hot glue over the vents on the outside.

Second concern. How the hell does it stay together? And that's a crafty idea they had for this. The tabs on each piece go into the slots on the others as you can to make the box. The part of the tab that sticks out the other side is notched. They send these rubber O ring type things to slip over the tab and lock it in place.

Good thing - It's actually solid, really solid. Bad thing - the rubber is soft so it will stretch over the tab. If you goof building it and have to remove the rubber thing, it breaks from the edge of the acrylic. Luckily they send you like 4 or 5 extra. Guess they saw that too :)

So here's the box assembled. Front and side view
20151221_191408.jpg

20151221_191415.jpg

Another good thing, It has a "hinged" lid. Even better is the lid slides back in the slots to lock down.
20151221_191432.jpg

Thing i noticed filling it with substrate, the bottom is supported by 4 tabs though the 4 sides. When i was adding substrate and packing it down you could hear it creak a bit. Have to be careful not to break it packing the sub in.

Here we have the finished Genic enclosure. He's only 1.5" so this should fit him until he's 3 or 3.5" something like that.
20151221_193123.jpg

Another bad thing i noticed after i had it all put together. Removing the protective paper covering makes the acrylic really staticky, if that's a word :) you can see all the cocofiber fibers clinging to the acrylic. Washing and drying it didn't help any, probably made it worse.

Pros - Cheap at $13.99 on Amazon. Solid, no gaps in edges. Lid makes it easy for maintenance/feeding.

Cons - Horrible smell, large vent slots, bottom supported only by the tabs. Not sure how long the rubber fastener things will last.

Also i saw they have an arboreal type enclosure on amazon for $31.99. It's roughly 9.5" x 9.5" x 13.5" Not a bad price compared to the others online like acrylicreptilecages.com

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like that its all acrylic, May look at them after the holidays, are they by chance stackable?
Imagine O-rings would work to hold it if I broke those bands and I have a bunch of them around.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like that its all acrylic, May look at them after the holidays, are they by chance stackable?
Imagine O-rings would work to hold it if I broke those bands and I have a bunch of them around.
not stackable no. the hinged top lid and the thin sides prevent that. That's what sold me on it was the all acrylic. I didn't pay enough attention to the item to see it was a build it yourself kit lol. I'm happy with it though, and i'll be really happy with it tomorrow after i cover the vent slots lol.

I went to check on them just a bit ago, specifically the genic to maek sure he's still inside and i couldn't see him. Almost had a heart attack until i saw movement in the moss bed in the corner :) He'd snuggled down in the moist moss, you could barely see him except for the bands on a few legs.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Got this on a whim from Amazon. Acrylic Crystal Zoo enclosure. Here's the link - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VEDTA80?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
View attachment 12855

Better than i expected when i opened it. Bad part, it really stinks like plastic. I washed it really well and let it air out for a few hours before i put it together and set it up. I was worried the smell wouldn't be good for the Ts.

It comes in pieces. This one says it's 6.3"x6.3"x6.3", but the measurements on the inside are just under 6" on each side. I didn't really measure it to get an exact.
View attachment 12852

First concern. Vent slots are huge, if the Genic wasn't hiding in his hide in premolt i'd be worried. Tomorrow i'll be going to the hardware store to get heavy duty screen to hot glue over the vents on the outside.

Second concern. How the hell does it stay together? And that's a crafty idea they had for this. The tabs on each piece go into the slots on the others as you can to make the box. The part of the tab that sticks out the other side is notched. They send these rubber O ring type things to slip over the tab and lock it in place.

Good thing - It's actually solid, really solid. Bad thing - the rubber is soft so it will stretch over the tab. If you goof building it and have to remove the rubber thing, it breaks from the edge of the acrylic. Luckily they send you like 4 or 5 extra. Guess they saw that too :)

So here's the box assembled. Front and side view
View attachment 12853
View attachment 12854

Another good thing, It has a "hinged" lid. Even better is the lid slides back in the slots to lock down.
View attachment 12856

Thing i noticed filling it with substrate, the bottom is supported by 4 tabs though the 4 sides. When i was adding substrate and packing it down you could hear it creak a bit. Have to be careful not to break it packing the sub in.

Here we have the finished Genic enclosure. He's only 1.5" so this should fit him until he's 3 or 3.5" something like that.View attachment 12857

Another bad thing i noticed after i had it all put together. Removing the protective paper covering makes the acrylic really staticky, if that's a word :) you can see all the cocofiber fibers clinging to the acrylic. Washing and drying it didn't help any, probably made it worse.

Pros - Cheap at $13.99 on Amazon. Solid, no gaps in edges. Lid makes it easy for maintenance/feeding.

Cons - Horrible smell, large vent slots, bottom supported only by the tabs. Not sure how long the rubber fastener things will last.

Also i saw they have an arboreal type enclosure on amazon for $31.99. It's roughly 9.5" x 9.5" x 13.5" Not a bad price compared to the others online like acrylicreptilecages.com

You have no idea how amazing this post is- I have been staring at these on amazon trying to determine if I wanted to purchase it but had never met anyone using them... I think the Pro's might outweigh the con's.- Thank you for sharing, I believe I will purchase one and see how it goes over with a few of my juvis

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll be getting the arboreal one this spring. I'm buying myself an avic for my birthday :) Just have to decide in the next 3 or 4 months which avic I want. The sling i get won't be ready to move into it for a while but i like to have the upgrade enclosures on hand.

@Scoolman good idea on the wire, i'll get some of the thicker twist ties to have on hand for when the o-rings start to dry out..

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
You have no idea how amazing this post is- I have been staring at these on amazon trying to determine if I wanted to purchase it but had never met anyone using them... I think the Pro's might outweigh the con's.- Thank you for sharing, I believe I will purchase one and see how it goes over with a few of my juvis
They are on eBay real cheap too. There are different size options as well.
They're on there for $8.99 plus $.99 shipping

swimbait

3 Year Member
Seems about the same size as the large amac boxes? They are cheaper and much less effort... Came out good though!! What do you mean horrible smell?

Also side note, I personally don't rehouse my T's if I know they are in premolt. I like to just let them do their thing in the environment they are already comfortable in, I have heard of a couple bad molts occurring after recent rehousings. Coincidence? Maybe, not worth the risk to me though

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Seems about the same size as the large amac boxes? They are cheaper and much less effort... Came out good though!! What do you mean horrible smell?

Also side note, I personally don't rehouse my T's if I know they are in premolt. I like to just let them do their thing in the environment they are already comfortable in, I have heard of a couple bad molts occurring after recent rehousings. Coincidence? Maybe, not worth the risk to me though
When first opened the acrylic had a really strong odor. Not sure how to describe it. It stunk lol

I didn't notice the darkened abdomen when I did the switch. Just hours later taking the pics. I wouldn't have moved him if I had.

He's digging the new home though. Literally. He's dug a good burrow under the cork bark hide.

swimbait

3 Year Member
When first opened the acrylic had a really strong odor. Not sure how to describe it. It stunk lol

I didn't notice the darkened abdomen when I did the switch. Just hours later taking the pics. I wouldn't have moved him if I had.

He's digging the new home though. Literally. He's dug a good burrow under the cork bark hide.

It's amazing how fast they burrowers get to work! When I rehoused my I. mira it was completely gone within a few hours. Same with G.pulchra and C.marshalli

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My 2 B. albos were burrowed in minutes after putting them in their enclosures when I got them and I haven't seen them since.

The roaches disappear I put in with them so I'm assuming they're eating lol

swimbait

3 Year Member
My 2 B. albos were burrowed in minutes after putting them in their enclosures when I got them and I haven't seen them since.

The roaches disappear I put in with them so I'm assuming they're eating lol
What type of roaches? If dubia its likely they are buried in the sub just sitting

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What type of roaches? If dubia its likely they are buried in the sub just sitting
Lats. I only have a few 1/2" dubai left for the larger Ts, but so far they won't eat them. I'll try them again after the c. Cyanopubescens recovers from molting.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thought I would share my old genic enclosure.....a little bit bigger LOL (190 litre converted aquarum). I may have gone a little over the top he he
20151025_162641.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thought I would share my old genic enclosure.....a little bit bigger LOL (190 litre converted aquarum). I may have gone a little over the top he he
View attachment 13104

very nice!

I have a 55G tall aquarium with a couple fish in it my son and i don't want to bother with anymore. I'm thinking of converting it to an enclosure for arboareals. Only problem is I'd split it in 4 sections but you'd have to be able to walk around it to see all 4 and i don't have that much room in this house. Maybe in the next one ;) The other idea is to lay it on it's side and convert it into an enclosure for the genic when it's full grown. I'd just have to seal the bottom half of the top with a peice of acrylic to hold the substrate in, then i could make the the other half of the opening into a hinged door. Problem would be ventilation. I have nothing to drill holes in it with. Might have to take it somewhere for that.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
very nice!

I have a 55G tall aquarium with a couple fish in it my son and i don't want to bother with anymore. I'm thinking of converting it to an enclosure for arboareals. Only problem is I'd split it in 4 sections but you'd have to be able to walk around it to see all 4 and i don't have that much room in this house. Maybe in the next one ;) The other idea is to lay it on it's side and convert it into an enclosure for the genic when it's full grown. I'd just have to seal the bottom half of the top with a peice of acrylic to hold the substrate in, then i could make the the other half of the opening into a hinged door. Problem would be ventilation. I have nothing to drill holes in it with. Might have to take it somewhere for that.
I used a wooden hole cutter to put in vents and then used epoxy to fabricate a bracket with screws to keep the lid secure as it was a Juwel Aquarium which is just a flap of plastic. If the lids on tanks are heavy enough. Often are of light fitting included then ventilation is the only issue and a good old hot nail will go through plastic if you dont have a drill.. Couple of pics to try and show you what I mean. Hope it helpsMine is actually up for sale....lol
20151025_162749.jpg
20151025_162758.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My tank was a freebie from a co-worker that had to get rid of it. His wife side the fish or the cat pick one ;) It has an ill fitting 3 piece glass top. Also has the bulky plastic top rim. I'm sure i could secure a screen lid on it fairly easy but i'd need to drill ventilation holes in the sides. That's what has me hesitant. I know i can drill holes, just not sure if i can drill enough to suffice without it breaking. Then again if it's tempered glass i'm screwed and the idea is out the window ;)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would never attempt to drill glass. All of mine are ventilated at the top. Never had any problems with this type of approach for 20 years even though there is a strong argument for the cross ventilation. You can't even get glazers to cut tempered glass! I tried with a splash lid for the tank I have built into my wall. They refused to try!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah i'm not sure if this is tempered or not. Haven't looked close enough to tell yet. If not tempered drilling it will be no problem. I'll get a 1" or so diamond bit, tape it up, and drill away. If it's tempered i'm not going to bother. i'll sell it to buy a couple nice T enclosures :)

Latest posts