• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My collection

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh yeah, definitely one of my favorite baboons along with H.maculata and A.ezendami. Need to start getting into more of the Asian species though. Most of mine that are Old Worlds are African species with the exception of the pokies.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I've turned pretty obsessive with Augacephalus ezendami these last months... As soon as I have more room, I'll book a place for one of these beautiful females. They are stunning.

I really like Asian species too. But the problem with them, IMHO, is that they are so secretive. Very hard to see them once they have settle down, and sometimes I have the feeling that I'm keeping glasses with dirt inside, nothing more. But when I do see one (sometimes late in the evening), that's a treat!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've turned pretty obsessive with Augacephalus ezendami these last months... As soon as I have more room, I'll book a place for one of these beautiful females. They are stunning.

I really like Asian species too. But the problem with them, IMHO, is that they are so secretive. Very hard to see them once they have settle down, and sometimes I have the feeling that I'm keeping glasses with dirt inside, nothing more. But when I do see one (sometimes late in the evening), that's a treat!
It's funny how few people seem to know about them. Especially when you consider how beautiful of a species they are. Also very laid-back for a Baboon. All the noobs go straight for the OBT [emoji14]

I keep a few Ephebopus species, so the pet hole aspect doesn't bother me at all. Its funny again that you brought up A.ezendami because I find them to be just that; pet holes. [emoji14]

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
P.murinus
9319985cd1f81b3ab664a2f639f364f5.jpg

Ephebopus cyanognathus
ef8638133ee91390d6ce345152627706.jpg

One of the P.irminia males I'm planning on pairing with my female soon:
abbb3ac037799bcce9e62d0a24333027.jpg

8f544a7a800d32c4ad1522408994d8d9.jpg

And the other male:
7fafeceeb1c159f325b8ad3d94146731.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ephebopus murinus

View attachment 9617

Poecilotheria regalis
View attachment 9618

Brachypelma smithi
View attachment 9619

Chromatopelma cyanopubescens
View attachment 9620

Ceratogyrus darlingi
View attachment 9621

Avicularia amazonica
View attachment 9622
Stunning examples....just a quick question as a newbie to the forum, what's the difference with posting on this thread rather than using the gallery?. I have posted pics taken of all mine (except the Balfouri that would not come out and play) with a view that I will refresh every 3 months as an example so that sling changes can be seen. Just wondering if worth posting on here too?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never used the gallery, I prefer creating my own thread under the "Tarantula Photos and Videos" sub forum. That way I can just include all of my pics here in my own thread.

Got a great shot of the Augacephalus ezendami, which I'm fairly convinced is female. It's a shame that these are such slow growers because they are absolutely gorgeous. Very laid-back for a baboon, and not defensive in the least. Their venom is also rather weak for an Old World. I wish they were more popular, because I think they're just as beautiful as P.murinus, and they are much better for people with little to know experience with Old Worlds. They are pretty secretive and I can definitely say they are pet holes, but in my experience, the majority of old world species are as well.
0a2d6504b0454f6064d08348d0011057.jpg

b061a7eb0e56609fb1841500d72efecb.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use a thread for most of my photos and just put the best ones in the gallery

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never used the gallery, I prefer creating my own thread under the "Tarantula Photos and Videos" sub forum. That way I can just include all of my pics here in my own thread.

Got a great shot of the Augacephalus ezendami, which I'm fairly convinced is female. It's a shame that these are such slow growers because they are absolutely gorgeous. Very laid-back for a baboon, and not defensive in the least. Their venom is also rather weak for an Old World. I wish they were more popular, because I think they're just as beautiful as P.murinus, and they are much better for people with little to know experience with Old Worlds. They are pretty secretive and I can definitely say they are pet holes, but in my experience, the majority of old world species are as well.
0a2d6504b0454f6064d08348d0011057.jpg

b061a7eb0e56609fb1841500d72efecb.jpg
Sounds like a plan. ...I will be all over it soon...lol. More great pics too @Chubbs

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
It's funny how few people seem to know about them. Especially when you consider how beautiful of a species they are. Also very laid-back for a Baboon. All the noobs go straight for the OBT [emoji14]

I keep a few Ephebopus species, so the pet hole aspect doesn't bother me at all. Its funny again that you brought up A.ezendami because I find them to be just that; pet holes. [emoji14]

That's very interesting! I've always thought Augacephalus to be like Pterinochilus: ready to adapt to any type of environment. Thanks for sharing your experience. It gives me more insight on this very beautiful genus. If I buy one, I'll give it enough substrate.

The male Psalmopoeus are fantastic to look at: so fluffy, so fuzzy, like balls of feathers....!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's very interesting! I've always thought Augacephalus to be like Pterinochilus: ready to adapt to any type of environment. Thanks for sharing your experience. It gives me more insight on this very beautiful genus. If I buy one, I'll give it enough substrate.

The male Psalmopoeus are fantastic to look at: so fluffy, so fuzzy, like balls of feathers....!
Oh they definitely are very adaptable, but they are obligate burrowers, exclusively terrestrial, unlike P.murinus, you can't really get away with keeping them as arboreals. They do better when kept dry of course, but they're definitely a very hardy species. Not fragile in the least.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
P.irminia female
b1c9e1ec3679778d2f63bbdb08577aa5.jpg

P.cambridgei female
591741d11b56f61fd73f06509c6ddbe9.jpg

Another one of the P.irminia males
6808f7cdcab702cf52af3ef446f4953f.jpg

P.murinus. The 3rd photo was meant to be a feeding video, but I forgot to switch the camera over to record lol
332e3812a357273fd55c59e6251f85d0.jpg

1db24f126a4564546e149417162e1b3f.jpg

3af66cd09b28e9665e97e91e6394edf2.jpg

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love the entire genus. They're so unique. I love that they have the flattened legs of an arboreal with the body of a terrestrial, and are the only genus that has the urticating hairs on the pedipalps instead of the abdomen. To me, they are the platypus's of tarantulas.Great intermediate species, although their care is a tad more specific when it comes to certain requirements.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love the entire genus. They're so unique. I love that they have the flattened legs of an arboreal with the body of a terrestrial, and are the only genus that has the urticating hairs on the pedipalps instead of the abdomen. To me, they are the platypus's of tarantulas.Great intermediate species, although their care is a tad more specific when it comes to certain requirements.
when you get a few minutes give me a run down? Given up on google care sheets, learned that the first week I was on the forum :p
Get much better and accurate information from the keepers who have them then most of the care sheets,(which are usually conflicting anyway)
i'm sure there are some good ones but i'm not sure which those are :p

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
when you get a few minutes give me a run down? Given up on google care sheets, learned that the first week I was on the forum :p
Get much better and accurate information from the keepers who have them then most of the care sheets,(which are usually conflicting anyway)
i'm sure there are some good ones but i'm not sure which those are :p

Sure no problem :) Is there anything in particular you were wanting to know? This is a fascinating genus IF you do not mind pet holes. I've only kept E.murinus and E.cyanognathus. To be honest, E.uatuman appearance-wise is basically just a Blue-Fang without the Blue on the chelicerae. They're both pretty similar in price and care, so the way I see it, you might as well spend the extra few bucks and just get a Blue-Fang.I would be interested in keeping E.rufescens somewhere down the line though, especially since it's the rarest of the genus. The set-up is pretty straightforward, I prefer to give mine more substrate (6 to 8 inches for an adult), so that they can burrow more, but you can get away with giving them less. E.murinus seems to be a bit more adaptable than E.cyanognathus when it comes to this. Heck some E.murinus do just fine with a log or cork-bark flat to hide under, and will sometimes just web underneath it and create their own hide, and some will even use premade hides. I made a little starter burrow in the sub, which the spider took to, and then dug the rest of the way down to the bottom of the tank. I have found Blue-Fangs seem to prefer just to burrow. You don't necessarily have to create a starter burrow for any of these, I just find that it helps them settle in faster, and due to their skittish/defensive nature and speed, you'll have less of a hassle to deal with when feeding or doing other things in there. Since they require more humidity and moist substrate, I actually prefer to create my own substrate by mixing top soil (organic/pesticide free of course), with a little bit of eco earth. I also like to add more moss on top of the substrate, since it helps with retaining moisture. Another thing I like to do with these is include a slightly bigger water dish. The trickiest thing is of course having a nice balance of moisture/humidity and good ventilation. I've had a few problems with mold here and there, so just be sure to remove any bolus or dead prey items immediately because they tend to mold up very easily with humid enclosures. As for behavior, E.murinus I find to have a bit more of a variety in terms of personality. I had one that was super-skittish and defensive and would throw threat poses at the slightest disturbance. My other one, while by no means "calm" or "docile" is rather laid-back and never throws threat-poses or tries to bite, just darts down into her burrow when spooked. She's still pretty fast-moving though, so I am careful. As a general rule though, i find most E.murinus to be at the very least skittish and "semi-defensive". E.cyanognathus on the other hand, I have yet to meet one that wasn't super-skittish. All I have to do is lightly touch the enclosure, and she disappears down her burrow in the blink of an eye. As a result, she is very difficult to photograph. These are normally very defensive as well, and my current one is no exception to this, she is definitely very feisty. I'd say she's probably even faster than the E.murinus as well. It is really a shame that these are pet-holes though, as they're hands-down one of the most beautiful of all tarantulas. As I mentioned, they have urticating hairs on the pedipalps, but I have found that they tend to prefer either biting or running away rather than flicking them.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Chubbs TY!
I seriously want the Ephebopus murinus after seeing that one, just a gorgeous spider, Won't lie though, I'm a little worried about keeping humidity right, most of mine are pretty forgiving, I mist if things look dusty and keep their water dishes clean and full (not the porteri, she won't allow it . she dumps it each and every time then buries it, I just keep a little moss in the corner and mist it real lightly every other week) naturally I keep the slings a bit more moist but never wet or soggy. And I am honestly 100% about trying to get it right for them, so, ...could I possibly bottom layer the enclosure with moss on one side and inject some water into that to keep humidity up without making things swampy, then a light mist? It works well with my sling enclosures?

edit: copying that for my notes lol

Latest posts