• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My B. Albicepts has made a run for it!

elektragrl

3 Year Member
So I just got this little guy for my 2 year anniversary with my boyfriend and in like 2 hours he goes from chilling in a cage to MIA. I don't know where it went. It's not in the room with all the other Ts and the T room is the darkest warm room in the house. I have look every where I'm aware they maybe nothing else I can do but I would love to have any ideas on how to find him

timc

3 Year Member
Well that's rough stuff. Good luck mi amiga. I'm sure the little guy/girl will turn up. Just keep a catch cup handy.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hope he/ she does pop up
I have nightmares about this...seriously. The only time one of mine got out was an Avic, a small juvie, found her crawling across the fronts of several enclosures, just casually exploring the shelf, and it was only a few minutes after the escape, I know because I had just finished washing out water dishes for them. I use those clear plastic cubes and had one with a very small hole on the lip of the lid from me dropping it. I figured there was no way she could fit through that...I was wrong. I don't suppose you found it? I wish you luck, anyway. Just out of curiosity, were you keeping it in a critter keeper?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hope you find it soon. You may want to consider moving it into a more secure enclosure to prevent future escapes. A sling of that size can easily escape through a kritter keeper or similar enclosure. I keep mine in deli cups or small food containers. Good thing it was just a B.albiceps though. I once had a 2 inch H.maculata loose in my house.

Fleas

3 Year Member
Hope you find it soon. You may want to consider moving it into a more secure enclosure to prevent future escapes. A sling of that size can easily escape through a kritter keeper or similar enclosure. I keep mine in deli cups or small food containers. Good thing it was just a B.albiceps though. I once had a 2 inch H.maculata loose in my house.
Did you ever find your H Mac? I've heard that H Mac are one of the more common escapees

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes I did. Who told you that? I've owned three in my time and that was the only one that got out. The reason was because I had it in a cage with air vents that were too large.

Fleas

3 Year Member
Awesome that you got it back I've read on a other forum and heard it from the guy that owns tbreeder it was the second part of his baboon video

elektragrl

3 Year Member
Yes it was in a critter keeper, my boyfriend had just cleaned the cage and the T was too thick to fit through the vent slits, but my boyfriend(who is the person I got the T for) had left the handle at the top of the keep off which left a big enough hole for the T to get out. I have found all kinds of other house hold spiders but not the T :(. It's really starting to get cold at my house so I don't think he's alive or even in my room any more. I'm so happy you found your H. Mac I just got one as a freebie when I got my B. Albicepts. All my slings are in deli cups except my suntiger cuz she jumps at me. Just that I would update everyone.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes it was in a critter keeper, my boyfriend had just cleaned the cage and the T was too thick to fit through the vent slits, but my boyfriend(who is the person I got the T for) had left the handle at the top of the keep off which left a big enough hole for the T to get out. I have found all kinds of other house hold spiders but not the T :(. It's really starting to get cold at my house so I don't think he's alive or even in my room any more. I'm so happy you found your H. Mac I just got one as a freebie when I got my B. Albicepts. All my slings are in deli cups except my suntiger cuz she jumps at me. Just that I would update everyone.
I'm really sorry to hear that...those critter keepers have been the cause of lots of escapes I've read about. I detest critter keepers myself, they need to redesign the tops. And add small side vents, but you can drill those yourself with a dremel, or use a soldering iron and burn them. I've actually got some ideas for the 15 unused critter keepers in my shop, I even have the acrylic sheets, I just haven't found the time to work on them. I have some metal screen tops for my glass tanks I need to cover and drill first though. By the way, if you don't like deli cups, There's some clear plastic display cubes from hobby lobby or the container store that work very well for slings, if you haven't seen them already. I love those.

elektragrl

3 Year Member
I have seen them and love them. I'm waiting tell November for the Tracy reptile show so I can get a discount on some :) and hoping to find another Albicepts.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have seen them and love them. I'm waiting tell November for the Tracy reptile show so I can get a discount on some :) and hoping to find another Albicepts.
I'm a big fan of the boehmei, but a mature albiceps is a stunner...I think what I like is the ivory carapace on both of them, and their little black eyes...it just looks cool :) Definitely my favorite Brachys as far as looks. The vagans and albopilosums are a tie for third in my opinion. All of them grow WAY TOO SLOW !!! But they're easy to raise, and a joy to keep.

elektragrl

3 Year Member
That's why I liked the Albicepts they are just gorgeous but I really can get impatient when it comes to growth rates :) I have not had too many Ts in my care but out of the few I have had I love my pokie the most right now. She is a poecilotheria striata named Mrs. Tibs she's about 5 1/2 inches

elektragrl

3 Year Member
image.jpeg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah those poecis are hard to resist, and once you get the fever for them, it never goes away. I always get drawn back to them. striata are gorgeous, I need one of those..I do have this little beastie though, and a regalis that only comes out at two in the morning. Both are beautys, both females. Crappy pic, but it's a juvie metallica :) Hmmm, never mind I guess, for some reason I'm getting errors on the pic, and she's hiding now :(

elektragrl

3 Year Member
Yea I know what you mean I have a list of wants for this hobby and most are pokies ATM hehehe. Wow a P. Metallica that's one on my list! Bet yours is pretty :) I love my striata she's out in view for me to see almost all the Time. I have thought for some time now that she was hungry looking for food or didn't like how small her tank was but even after feedings and an upgrade to a 10x10x12 tank she's still out on the side or on top of her hide for me to see like "welcome home mom"

Latest posts