• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Must have Tarantula?

rénee

3 Year Member
it is super pretty, I really like the dwarf species ^^
Reading about it now, my understanding so far, is that that one is another pet hole that needs super high humidity? :confused:
Well looks like i will have to wait for these high humidity guys till i move.. My T's are in my room and i have the heat up a bit higher then i would like, but hey.. i do it for them, i can live lol.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well looks like i will have to wait for these high humidity guys till i move.. My T's are in my room and i have the heat up a bit higher then i would like, but hey.. i do it for them, i can live lol.
Yea, totally understand, I've been thinking after the holidays and this financial problem is taken care of, I'm going to get a big tank and keep it humid so I can just put the enclosures within that. I have to keep mine in my room as well :p Just working out high humidity but good ventilation is my issue. Dont want to keep them stressed because my husbandry is lacking somewhere.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Everyone should get a GBB. I also think Acanthoscurria geniculata have a place in most collection because they are such good display spiders and so fun to feed. Brachypelma smithi is a hobby classic and deservedly so, given its beautiful coloring and docile disposition. Avicularia versicolor and Grammostola pulchra were my first two tarantulas and I still have a soft spot for them.

Unlike some others, I think Theraphosa are definitely NOT a must. On the contrary, most shouldn't get them.

I wouldn't call any OWs "must-haves" because many keepers aren't comfortable with them. If you get into OWs though, you need to get an OBT. Monocentropus balfouri are so beautiful and unique that I highly recommend them. Although they are NW, I classify Psalmopoeus irminia here. They're a must if you're comfortable with their speed and defensiveness.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Thistles I don't generally share to much personal information
as I'm not proud of my part in the pet trade, and folks tend to be judgemental.
I worked pet shops for many years, (management)
And, I tried to make a difference....They had import licensing for exotics, even had Caiman. (poor things)
Nothing is worse then some of the wild caught bigger snakes. had a huge Spilotes pullatus that honestly made it his life mission to try and kill me lol
When I realized that no matter how hard I tried, demanded etc.they weren't going to change, I moved into other areas. Opened a grooming shop with basic supplies and no live animals.
Consequently I actually am calm with the more defensive species, having been exposed to many highly aggressive animals. :(
I respect their space, never let my guard down, (EVER!) and just enjoy watching them be spiders for the most part :)
I think the OBT is one of the most beautiful. Have an image on my desktop of just that spider ^*^

A. versi & metallica and most of the Grammostola will eventually be on my shelf, love them!
Have every intention of getting an OBT eventually, as well as P irminia ^^

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Everyone should get a GBB. I also think Acanthoscurria geniculata have a place in most collection because they are such good display spiders and so fun to feed. Brachypelma smithi is a hobby classic and deservedly so, given its beautiful coloring and docile disposition. Avicularia versicolor and Grammostola pulchra were my first two tarantulas and I still have a soft spot for them.

Unlike some others, I think Theraphosa are definitely NOT a must. On the contrary, most shouldn't get them.

I wouldn't call any OWs "must-haves" because many keepers aren't comfortable with them. If you get into OWs though, you need to get an OBT. Monocentropus balfouri are so beautiful and unique that I highly recommend them. Although they are NW, I classify Psalmopoeus irminia here. They're a must if you're comfortable with their speed and defensiveness.
I totally agree. I know i'm not ready for an OW, and my never be, but that's fine, there are plenty of beautiful NW sp. to keep me occupied for decades :) I never should have read this thread, i now had a wishlist of mush haves for myself and it's growing :oops: Seems like this hobby is going to be keeping my wallet bare as bad or worse than golf lol

So here's my small but growing wishlist for my must-haves:
b. albopilosum
a. geniculata
g. rosea

Marked these off the list as i'm ordering them this weekend! :D
b. smithi
b. albiceps
g. pulchra
b. emilia
b. Klaasi
etc. etc. I want a complete "set" of Brachypelma.
To continue:
g. pulchripes
n. chromatus
a. seemani

Yes i'm sticking with terrestrial sp. I don't think my current home would be able to support species requiring a more humid environment like the lividum. Hopefully that changes this summer :) if it does i'll have a dedicated room for the Ts and will be able to put myself into the poor house supporting them lol

@Kymura Just for fun i googled the X. immanis. There's one listed on newenglandreptileshop.com - $100 for a 2-3 inch unsexed. Never used that site and didn't see any reviews on them here (but i didn't look very hard). Might be worth checking into if you're really really wanting one :)

Thistles

3 Year Member
I can completely relate, Kymura. I have over 10 years in the pet trade and I hate it. When you're ready for an OBT just let me know.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks @kormath
That's outside my budget right now and not one I'm actively looking for yet. I'm going to find a G.pulchra first!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can completely relate, Kymura. I have over 10 years in the pet trade and I hate it. When you're ready for an OBT just let me know.
As soon as my finances are back in order, having some issues with finances due to mothers death with no insurance.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good luck finding a G. pulchra! The only one I've found is on Tbreeders, $120 for a 1.5". Worth it? Probably.
I'm going to keep my eyes open and hope for a deal eventually, it's my biggest want but it'll probably be a while for me too lol

Thistles

3 Year Member
I usually see Grammostola pulchra slings for $40-50 but @Scoolman is daddy pulchra so he'd know better. Just wait until he or someone has a sac. I saw your earlier posts, Kymura, so I know your situation. My condolences. Sorry to hear you're in a bad way.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I usually see Grammostola pulchra slings for $40-50 but @Scoolman is daddy pulchra so he'd know better. Just wait until he or someone has a sac. I saw your earlier posts, Kymura, so I know your situation. My condolences. Sorry to hear you're in a bad way.
Thanks so much, it will work out, just take me a little while ^^

micheldied

3 Year Member
The answers to this are going to be extremely subjective.

IMO(mostly because these are the species I've either enjoyed the most, or that I want to have);

- Any and all of the Theraphosa. I love big and brown. Many of the other brown spiders interest me as well, like the Aussie species, but Theraphosa take it because of the size. They're also very fun to keep

- Poecilotheria subfusca, metallica, ornata, and rufilata. The nicest looking of the genus, and IMO everyone(who is ready) should have a pokie in their collection. They're just so different from anything else in the hobby.

- Monocentropus balfouri. IMO one of the prettiest, if not the most, spiders in the hobby.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The answers to this are going to be extremely subjective.

IMO(mostly because these are the species I've either enjoyed the most, or that I want to have);

- Any and all of the Theraphosa. I love big and brown. Many of the other brown spiders interest me as well, like the Aussie species, but Theraphosa take it because of the size. They're also very fun to keep

- Poecilotheria subfusca, metallica, ornata, and rufilata. The nicest looking of the genus, and IMO everyone(who is ready) should have a pokie in their collection. They're just so different from anything else in the hobby.

- Monocentropus balfouri. IMO one of the prettiest, if not the most, spiders in the hobby.
I'm definitely going to have a Poeci collection, I find them absolutely gorgeous, and I don't mind a little 'tude' I'll arrange them so there's minimal openings for feedings etc as I know they are quick as well. So I'll make a full open front door with a hatch for daily maintenance. (feedings cleanings water etc)
Monocentropus balfouri is beautiful, and I want one someday,, just outside of my budget right now ^.^

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm definitely going to have a Poeci collection, I find them absolutely gorgeous, and I don't mind a little 'tude' I'll arrange them so there's minimal openings for feedings etc as I know they are quick as well. So I'll make a full open front door with a hatch for daily maintenance. (feedings cleanings water etc)
Monocentropus balfouri is beautiful, and I want one someday,, just outside of my budget right now ^.^

You may be a bit disappointed then, because Pokies for the most part don't have much of an attitude. What makes them a more advanced genus is simply the speed and the extremely potent venom. Truth be told though, while some can still be super skittish, I consider them very mellow when compared to P.murinus, H.lividum, S.calceatum or any of the other more defensive Old Worlds. I only bring this up because there seems to be common misconception among those who have not kept Pokies before, that they are a highly-defensive genus. I had one female regalis that would occasionally throw threat poses, but they were so half-assed compared to a threat pose from say an OBT. Actually Psalmopeus species are known for being more defensive, and I can vouch for this. There are a number of other species that are more defensive and willing to bite, and many of these are actually New World species. Personally I would recommend someone get a Pokie before an OBT any day. Despite the Pokies being more venomous, they're a lot harder to get bitten by.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hopefully I don't get bitten by any of them, I think they are beautiful. I'm fairly careful however,
so I wasn't worried about getting bitten so much as them slipping out of the enclosure,
and my cats thinking they are some odd sort of new toy ^^

micheldied

3 Year Member

Like Chubbs said, they're really quite laid back. What really makes them an "advanced" species is a combination of speed(they can be very, very fast if they want to), venom potency, and size. The smallest (P. metallica) still gets to 7 inches in legspan, ornata and rufilata get to 10. This is an attractive feature to me, but it does make them harder to handle for most. Otherwise, you're more likely to get threat poses from a G. rosea, really.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what is the need..... for speed? Is it defensive to escape their predators or is for catching prey? You'd think with the potent venom they wouldn't need to be fast for the prey.