• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jumping in head first.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hell i might as well put in my 2 cents...Ive been on other forums and this one by far has the highest population of good decent people i love most of them. alot of people have helped me on here and it wasnt by being an arrogant ass.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Thistles....good job u should be a mediator.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I have found that people actually get more agitated when confronted by someone who is calm in the face of their anger. I wouldn't be very good. I'm too logical and not empathetic enough.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
First, if you find something pathetic in this thread, look to thine own ass first. And no, I wasn't generalizing, the people here are 100 times better than the people over there, in my unworthy opinion. Tell me, why is it you feel you need to talk down to grown men and women? You think you're doing anything other than making yourself look like a self righteous ass? Pardon my candor, but you did say you wan't to be treated like a man, so I'll do so. I don't want to be accused of "soft bigotry" by differentiating between the sexes, lordy no.
When someone posts a question in a forum, they're generally not looking for you to scrutinize everything about their care and husbandry, they're not asking if you think they're ready, they're asking a specific question, lady. You just commented on Spiderdads posts like you're his mentor. I'm willing to bet he doesn't much care whether you think he "deserved a heaping helping of criticism" or not, I know I don't. And if you know what "elucidate" means, you know how to read, so tell me where in this thread he "whipped up a bunch of defenders"? He's well liked here, people naturally responded to his comment however they saw fit to do so. Many of the people here don't like the **** hole called arachnoboards, you'll just have to deal with it. But you ARE right about one thing, I am judgmental, the difference is it's towards the right people. Like I said, you're not impressing anyone with your little arachnolord speeches, or your pseudo intelligent, vague responses. Just what exactly do you find "pathetic" in this thread,( besides me) princess? Please let all the regulars on this forum know whats so pathetic, elucidate, dear, and this time do it clearly.

Thistles

3 Year Member
First, if you find something pathetic in this thread, look to thine own ass first. And no, I wasn't generalizing, the people here are 100 times better than the people over there, in my unworthy opinion. Tell me, why is it you feel you need to talk down to grown men and women? You think you're doing anything other than making yourself look like a self righteous ass? Pardon my candor, but you did say you wan't to be treated like a man, so I'll do so. I don't want to be accused of "soft bigotry" by differentiating between the sexes, lordy no.
When someone posts a question in a forum, they're generally not looking for you to scrutinize everything about their care and husbandry, they're not asking if you think they're ready, they're asking a specific question, lady. You just commented on Spiderdads posts like you're his mentor. I'm willing to bet he doesn't much care whether you think he "deserved a heaping helping of criticism" or not, I know I don't. And if you know what "elucidate" means, you know how to read, so tell me where in this thread he "whipped up a bunch of defenders"? He's well liked here, people naturally responded to his comment however they saw fit to do so. Many of the people here don't like the **** hole called arachnoboards, you'll just have to deal with it. But you ARE right about one thing, I am judgmental, the difference is it's towards the right people. Like I said, you're not impressing anyone with your little arachnolord speeches, or your pseudo intelligent, vague responses. Just what exactly do you find "pathetic" in this thread,( besides me) princess? Please let all the regulars on this forum know whats so pathetic, elucidate, dear, and this time do it clearly.
Yep, definitely friendlier. Nothing "blatantly rude, derogatory or insulting" about that post at all. What do you make of the crossovers? Do you just sort of take a balance? Spiderdad61 and I are on both, so we don't count? Just wondering how you calculate that "the people here are 100 times better" than AB.

I'm sorry that you think I'm talking down to people. That is not my intention. I just try to be fair and call things as I see them. I'm not bothered by bluntness, so sometimes I upset people when I neglect to sugar-coat or I don't just take their side regardless. I see fault on both sides here, so I'm not going to join your anti-AB crusade. Sorry to disappoint you. There are good things and bad things about both forums. That's why I have joined both.

OP asked for advice. How does one give advice without coming across as a "mentor?" What in particular about my response offended you? How should I have worded it? I'm genuinely curious. People are more open to advice when it is presented in a welcome way, so if I am putting you (or OP) off by my delivery, I would like to be able to improve.

Feel free to search my post history on AB. It's far more extensive. Tell me if I come across as unhelpful and elitist. I can think of two recent posts of mine that might meet your criteria, but I think on the balance I'm restrained. You can use OP's thread over there, if you'd like. I didn't browbeat him.

I am entitled to my opinion, whether you want to hear it or not. OP started this thread just fine - talking about his new acquisitions and excitement. He then devoted an entire post, much longer than his original, to complaining about his treatment on AB. You and a few others jumped on that immediately, not much whipping up required, and this whole thread (much like the guidelines post at the head of this forum) quickly degenerated into bashing another forum. If you don't like it, don't post there. Simple. I imagine there are plenty of users here who would rather not hear constant tirades against a place they don't even use. You're entitled to your opinion, but this fixation seems pretty pathetic to me.

Would you say that your post is "talking down" to me or just trying to get a rise?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So by telling people that they're "bashing" AB, when they criticize the site, you're not talking down? You didn't talk down to everyone on this thread with your self righteous wall of text about how both threads were "pathetic"....You just told me my opinion was pathetic...you expect me not to tell you in as polite a manner as possible to get bent? Get bent. What world do you live in? Aren't we entitled to our opinions too? Or is that exclusive to you alone? What kind of twisted logic are you trying to get across here? You wonder why people get upset when you spout this kind of garbage? And, I never asked you to "join my anti ab crusade", I'm good with calling it a ****hole, and don't think of it much otherwise. I don't need or particularly want your support, or your approval. Did you see anyone that expressed their displeasure or dislike of ab ask for anyone's approval? You state your own opinion as fact, and others as bashing..wake up lady. Believe me, you belong over there.. Whats really blowing my mind is that you're coming back trying to act so very logical, and above it all, when your whole thinking is flawed, conceited and ill considered. The fact is, you didn't like having your **** forum criticized. Well, too bad..And I'm neither talking down to you or trying to get a rise, I'm expressing my thoughts about your silly, pseudo intellectual comments and the gall you have to even spew such feces out of your huge mouth. You interrupted the thread to make an idiotic, logically faulty comment and talk down to everyone who doesn't like some lame forum, and then wonder why my comment was rude...you definitely are not as intelligent as you believe. This will be my last post, so go ahead and get the last word in. I have a feeling you're a lonely troll that's feeding off of my anger, which has changed to perplexity at your comments..In your final few sentences, you stated that the thread degenerated into bashing another forum, and that if we don't like it, don't post there. I don't post there. And we'll continue to bash whatever the hell we feel like bashing, princess. If you don't like it, don't post here. C WUT I DID THAR? :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is stupid. The amount of hostility in this last page is beyond ridiculous. Just stating my opinion.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought you left Chubbs! Welcome back! You're right, I was too hostile. The high and mighty seem to be invading my favorite forum, it's pissing me off. I hope you brought some humility back with you, I'm on the edge of getting myself banned as it is. Meh, won't be the first time. I seem to have periods of low tolerance for nonsense. Hopefully before I get banned I'll have time to make a "Farewell and Ado" thread. :D

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought you left Chubbs! Welcome back! You're right, I was too hostile. The high and mighty seem to be invading my favorite forum, it's pissing me off. I hope you brought some humility back with you, I'm on the edge of getting myself banned as it is. Meh, won't be the first time. I seem to have periods of low tolerance for nonsense. Hopefully before I get banned I'll have time to make a "Farewell and Ado" thread. :D

Funny, I feel exactly the same way regarding this forum. Regardless, I don't think I should allow a single member to keep me from enjoying this forum. No, I plan on sticking around here. What about you?

Thistles

3 Year Member
Aren't we entitled to our opinions too? Or is that exclusive to you alone?
Thistles said:
You're entitled to your opinion...

What kind of twisted logic are you trying to get across here? You wonder why people get upset when you spout this kind of garbage?
The only one I see upset here is you.

So by telling people that they're "bashing" AB, when they criticize the site, you're not talking down? You didn't talk down to everyone on this thread with your self righteous wall of text about how both threads were "pathetic"....You just told me my opinion was pathetic...you expect me not to tell you in as polite a manner as possible to get bent? Get bent. What world do you live in?...
...And, I never asked you to "join my anti ab crusade", I'm good with calling it a ****hole, and don't think of it much otherwise. I don't need or particularly want your support, or your approval. Did you see anyone that expressed their displeasure or dislike of ab ask for anyone's approval?
You're sure getting worked up when I withhold approval. I haven't been around long, but you manage to work your AB hatred into so many different threads, whether it's relevant or not. Yeah, I think it's pathetic to seize any excuse to rant about a forum you could just avoid. Why talk about it at all? I realize it fits in this particular thread, but it doesn't in many. Relax.

You state your own opinion as fact, and others as bashing..wake up lady. Believe me, you belong over there..
I state my opinion as my opinion. That's all it is. As I said before, I call things as I see them. What else can I do? Sooo AB sucks because there are people who drive others away. What is it you're doing here? Only people who agree with you should post here?

Whats really blowing my mind is that you're coming back trying to act so very logical, and above it all, when your whole thinking is flawed, conceited and ill considered. The fact is, you didn't like having your **** forum criticized. Well, too bad..
Thistles said:
AB is not the same place it used to be. There are so many groupies over there who just follow their rock star idols regardless of context. That is unhelpful and leads to the parroting of bad information. I have also noticed a recent tendency to dog pile novices who have the audacity to purchase more "advanced" spiders without working their way up the "ladder." It was not that way a few years ago when I joined. That causes newbies to hesitate to ask for help, which ultimately will lead to dead spiders. There was one recent thread in which members mocked a teenager for being depressed and encouraged suicide. It is NOT a nice place for a lot of newbies.
Thistles said:
I have, on several occasions, called out certain members there for their formulaic and dogmatic approach to tarantula-keeping. I know how it is there. I've been on the receiving end of criticism from members who joined long after I did and know less than I do. Believe me, there are some members I would like to see the back of.
Thistles said:
I have seen all of his posts on AB, and seen him get torn down for mistakes and sometimes even for things that weren't mistakes. For the record OP, I liked your CD case lid. Like I said, I'm well aware of the dogmatism on AB. I think it is destructive and detrimental to the hobby.
Yeah, I'm sooo protective of AB. I just can't stand to see anyone say anything negative about it. Oh wait...

And I'm neither talking down to you or trying to get a rise, I'm expressing my thoughts about your silly, pseudo intellectual comments and the gall you have to even spew such feces out of your huge mouth. You interrupted the thread to make an idiotic, logically faulty comment and talk down to everyone who doesn't like some lame forum, and then wonder why my comment was rude...you definitely are not as intelligent as you believe.
Oh, ok. Profanity- and insult-laced personal attacks aren't talking down, but an attempt to represent another side of an argument is. Gotcha. Again, I myself criticized some members of AB. Now a criticism of you personally is an attack on everyone who doesn't like AB. How is my logic faulty?
This will be my last post, so go ahead and get the last word in.
Bye bye =)

Communication is a two-way street. If you are determined to misunderstand me, there is only so much I can do to prevent it. I must submit myself to the judgement of my readers. Everyone will make up his or her own mind about whether I and my points are rational or not. In my own defense, I think I have done a reasonable (although not perfect) job of clarifying and remaining fair. I've been neither a sycophant nor irrationally hostile in my appraisals of any people or platforms here.

I have asked on several occasions for suggestions from you, @MassExodus. None have been forthcoming. I must say, you seem to be arguing with a mirror rather than with me.

*passive-aggressive disclaimer* All of the above is the personal opinion of the author, as evidenced by her screen name next to the post. It is not to be misconstrued as a statement of fact. Teasing rabid dogs is neither recommended nor condoned by the author of this post. Read and reply at your own risk. Also, there might have been just a little bit of "talking down" in this post. Any hurt feelings resulting from reading this post are not the fault of the author and she will not be held liable.

Last edited:

Jakob

3 Year Member
There are quick learners and slow learners, there are people who are generally responsible and people who are generally irresponsible.
I don't see a problem with the OP's purchases, he will get more experienced more quickly. If he respects his T's and treats them for what they are capable of and not what they usually do, and thinks before he acts (rehousing), I think he will be fine.

I encourage you fellow members to be more mature than who they are criticizing. Show a better example.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I don't think Thistles was being very hostile toward this forum in particular at all. He's right, many of the posts here mock and generalize AB. I'm on both, and while there are more of the high and mighty over there, not all of them are. There are plenty of helpful people on there.

As for whether a T. stirmi is fast; I think it completely depends on what you're comparing it to. I'd say they can move fairly quickly. I've had T. apophysis move across a large enclosure very quickly, and they definitely strike prey quickly. Are they as fast as Pokies? No, definitely not. Just because someone calls an animal fast, it doesn't mean they can't handle it. It can be just a simple description, without meaning too fast to handle.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I'm sorry I started this on both forums. My title was just meant as I'm excited ith my new purchases and they're the ones I wanted.
I just assumed members would say "nice T's, good luck and be careful", and move on. Didn't expect anything more.
I also apologize for bringing the bs here. Let's just end it. Nothing good is coming from it.
Now I kno what I should and shouldn't post. That's all.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm sorry I started this on both forums. My title was just meant as I'm excited ith my new purchases and they're the ones I wanted.
I just assumed members would say "nice T's, good luck and be careful", and move on. Didn't expect anything more.
I also apologize for bringing the bs here. Let's just end it. Nothing good is coming from it.

As I said before, great choices. Now sit back and enjoy them.

Rockpython

3 Year Member
Don't feel bad or apologize for anything. You've done nothing wrong

Will

3 Year Member
I'm new to the hobby (I have one T - a GBB) and I plan on getting a P. Metallica sling and an OBT sling very soon. I appreciate these aren't 'beginner' T's but I will be fine. I'm very careful and respectful with my animals. Any rehouses will be done in the bathtub with towels and cath-cups to hand. Maybe even in a large poly-bag to be extra careful with the OBT.

Latest posts