• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my Brachypelma albopilosum sick?

m0f0x

3 Year Member
Hello!

I am new to the forum and seek for your wisdom.

I have a 3 years old T and I am not sure what is wrong with her. I noticed some time ago that she became very active, moving all the time, climbing, like she was looking for a way out. After a while she started to lose her hair on her booty and legs :(. You can see on the pictures how she looked before and now. Please give me some advice on how to help her to recover. Thank you in advance!!!

Healthy-VS-Sick.jpg

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Are you sure this is a female? In the second set of pictures, your tarantula looks to be a mature male but I can't see the pedipalps well so I can't say for sure.

Edit: In the middle picture on the bottom row, I'm pretty sure I see the pedipalp and it definitely looks to be a mature male. Once a male tarantula matures, they are more interested in finding a female than anything else. They will wander constantly, and often not eat well. Sadly, they usually don't molt again and often don't live very long after the molt. As they age they tend to look pretty rough. I think this is what is going on with your spider. :(

Last edited:

m0f0x

3 Year Member
tace.jpg
I thought the T is a female, but now I am not sure anymore. I took a picture and you can check it. So you think s/he is not sick, just looking for a female and ugly? o_O Why did the booty get smaller?

m0f0x

3 Year Member
Ok, thank you. So now the only unanswered question is why he has a bald abdomen. Stress or something?

hellknite

3 Year Member
It pretty looked like my mature male albopilosum shortly before it died.. And the way you described it, walking all the time and climbing always then after sometime he started to lose hair.. sad story..

Last edited:

m0f0x

3 Year Member
Hi, Sorry for your T. He is also my first T. I hope he will molt soon and get better.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yours is a Brachypelma Albopilosum aka Curly Hair ? If so,Grammostola and Brachypelma can't mate. Even if yours was say a different Grammostola meaning same genus I wouldn't agree or advise to mate two different specimens even though they are in one genus. The hobby is already in a situation,where people say many specimens are accidental hybrids and things like these just add to the problem.

hellknite

3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1410213629720.jpg

Here is my old albo shortly before it died. He never mated. I think they looked the same. I had him also for 3 years..

Latest posts