• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi everyone! :)

spider

3 Year Member
Hi there! I'm very new to this.... I don't actually have any yet. My first one will be coming on the 13th. A Brazilian salmon bird eater. She's about 8 inches. She will maybe be my only one so I'm looking for advice and to chat with others! I'll admit I'm a bit nervous to own one, but very excited!

Marija

3 Year Member
Welcome and congrats on getting a T. Guys here are awesome, always willing to give good advice and help.
My first was also a Salmon pink birdeater but she is a bit smaller than 8 inches. I got mine 3 months ago and I got addicted so now I have 5 tarantulas :D
I wish you all the best with your new pet! Salmon pink is a big and bold T and I think you're going to love her!

Redacted

3 Year Member
Welcome. Post pics when she arrives. That'll be one beautiful T. Shout with any auestions. Folks are friendly and generous.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello and welcome! Folks here are friendly and incredibly supportive and helpful. Feel free to ask anything!

spider

3 Year Member
Thanks guys! I didn't really get to pick which one I wanted... This one just needs a home so I said yes! I have other pets.... A sudan plated lizard, 2 sandfish lizards, a fire salamander, a Pacman frog, a tomato frog, 5 red ear slider turtles, a false map turtle, a yellow belly slider turtle, 6 cats and a horse. My kids have 3 fish and some water snails too! Lol.

Marija

3 Year Member
Thanks guys! I didn't really get to pick which one I wanted... This one just needs a home so I said yes! I have other pets.... A sudan plated lizard, 2 sandfish lizards, a fire salamander, a Pacman frog, a tomato frog, 5 red ear slider turtles, a false map turtle, a yellow belly slider turtle, 6 cats and a horse. My kids have 3 fish and some water snails too! Lol.
Nice! I'm quite jealous, always wanted a horse :D

syzygy

3 Year Member
Welcome to forum! Since your first T is arriving next week it would be a good idea to post a pic of the habitat you will house her in. You will be able to get feedback and make changes (if needed) before she even arrives.

On an aside, what the heck is wrong with us! This forum has been around for a few years now and the username 'spider' hadn't been used yet??...that's nuts. :)

spider

3 Year Member
Lol! Yeah I was suprised that "spider" wasn't already taken lol!!!!

She is coming with her house so I'm not sure what she is in. I think the guy said she's in a 5 gallon tank, which if so seems very small to me for a big spider. The pics I saw it looks like she has half a log hide and a little water dish. He's apparently had her for 7 years.

That's one of the things I'll need help with. If she is in a 5 gallon I want to put her in a nice new big 10 gallon and have plastic plants in there for her. I don't know anything about them other than I want to watch her crawl around :) I'm honestly terrified of spiders in general and absolutely terrified of the pics of big LP fangs I saw on Google! Lol. So I'm not sure how to move her into the new tank or how fast she'll move. Or even if she's calm or super freaked out! I'll know more when she gets here I assume.

Marija

3 Year Member
Lol! Yeah I was suprised that "spider" wasn't already taken lol!!!!

She is coming with her house so I'm not sure what she is in. I think the guy said she's in a 5 gallon tank, which if so seems very small to me for a big spider. The pics I saw it looks like she has half a log hide and a little water dish. He's apparently had her for 7 years.

That's one of the things I'll need help with. If she is in a 5 gallon I want to put her in a nice new big 10 gallon and have plastic plants in there for her. I don't know anything about them other than I want to watch her crawl around :) I'm honestly terrified of spiders in general and absolutely terrified of the pics of big LP fangs I saw on Google! Lol. So I'm not sure how to move her into the new tank or how fast she'll move. Or even if she's calm or super freaked out! I'll know more when she gets here I assume.
As I got my L parahybana I had no clue how I'm going to transfer her to her new enclosure. I watched a lot o videos on YouTube for help :D
Took one of my soft make up brushes, lol, and a plastic cup. Placed the plastic cup next to her and slowly pushed her to the cup with the brush, transferred the cup to a new tank and let her come out on her own. She gave me a threat pose as soon as I touched her with the brush but I think she was only stressed after a long drive to my house.
It all went well for me considering I knew nothing about them so I think it will all be well for you also. :)

spider

3 Year Member
Thank you! That sounds very encouraging. I wasn't sure if she might move quickly and climb out of the cup and onto me.... In which case I would probably scream and throw everything..... I just want to be sure we're both safe lol.

When I find little spiders in my house, I cover them with a clear cup then slide a thick piece of paper under the cup. Then I move them outside. I thought if needed I can do the same with her on a bigger scale maybe?

Marija

3 Year Member
Thank you! That sounds very encouraging. I wasn't sure if she might move quickly and climb out of the cup and onto me.... In which case I would probably scream and throw everything..... I just want to be sure we're both safe lol.

When I find little spiders in my house, I cover them with a clear cup then slide a thick piece of paper under the cup. Then I move them outside. I thought if needed I can do the same with her on a bigger scale maybe?
I don't think she will freak out, mine didn't, she was quite calm and moved where I wanted her to move.
I never tried the method you just described but as long as you don't hurt her I don't see why not try that. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone here will correct me :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I first got my big female Lp, she ran up the glass and up my wall the first time I opened her enclosure. I just cupped her and put her back, no biggy, but they CAN be skittish, and surprisingly fast if startled. :)

Marija

3 Year Member
When I first got my big female Lp, she ran up the glass and up my wall the first time I opened her enclosure. I just cupped her and put her back, no biggy, but they CAN be skittish, and surprisingly fast if startled. :)
I would freak out lol.
I had no problems with mine when I first got her but now that she got used to her permanent enclosure there is no way I can force her to walk into a cup. She would fight me :D
When I open her enclosure she starts to walk out and I try to push her back but she smacks my tweezers with her front legs. There is no messing with her :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would freak out lol.
I had no problems with mine when I first got her but now that she got used to her permanent enclosure there is no way I can force her to walk into a cup. She would fight me :D
When I open her enclosure she starts to walk out and I try to push her back but she smacks my tweezers with her front legs. There is no messing with her :D
Yeah they do get slappy, lol.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Hi and welcome to the group. Nice big T to start with there ☺
Already mentioned a couple of time but basically, prepare in advance to rehouse. ideally have the old enclosure and new one j a bath tub. they can't climb out the bath. Then it is just the same as cupping a house spider (but on a I much bigger scale). try and put a large clear container over the top of her and slide the lid underneath. she then gets lifted into the new home and the lid removed before lifting the container. Job done.

Redacted

3 Year Member
A female LP that I grew to enormity was the first T I owned that took on adult hissers. success was followed by the crack of fangs through armor.

Redacted

3 Year Member
How big did she get Walter? My big female is holding steady at 8 1/2"
At DLS, she was a full 10-10.25". She even bred successfully. I actually regret selling her. I raised her and the male since they were 3-4" DLS. I fed them pretty much at will, although I favored her. She was with me five years when I sold her. She was all the time sitting in a favorite open spot, except with her egg sac when she holed up. I wouldn't say that I power fed her, but did not deny her. Figured she was a large fast-growing tropical that warranted frequent feeding. Hissers and big dubias were her mainstay. Her disposition I would say was defensive. I'd've not dared try to handle her ever.

I guess I'm going on here because she was so different from my brachys and gramms that love to keep and was such a neat different kind of T.

Latest posts