• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey guys!

Jordylol

3 Year Member
wow.... these pet store people suck. They told me to use sand and feed her a cricket once a day.. that's so sad :( good thing I care so much about her...

bestco

3 Year Member
Yeah sorry to say sand is bad, people in pet stores havnt got a clue lol, I would recommend to feed your t 3 to 5 crickets a week or try mealmorms my chille loves them but there a bit fatty for them so just have a mixed variety ;)

LauraMI

3 Year Member
I don't have a G. roses but do have two other Grammostolas.... They both burrow. Most terrestrials burrow, so no on sand! At least four inches of substrate, & the right kind.
Research! Pet stores either don't know or don't care so it's up to you to do even a cursory internet search. I'm not being mean; I screwed up my first enclosures after researching even...but T's can be forgiving.
Good luck on handling; I prefer to view my T's as I do my fish and geckos: pretty to look at, not to hold.

Jordylol

3 Year Member
Well I'm about to go run and get her Eco Earth coconut substrate. My poor baby. :( I just asked the pet store and apparently she's captive bred.

Jordylol

3 Year Member
yeah.. it just saddens me they would rather tell me the wrong information then just straight up be like "I don't know"

LauraMI

3 Year Member
yeah.. it just saddens me they would rather tell me the wrong information then just straight up be like "I don't know"
Or perhaps even carry the proper supplies vs. telling you to buy the wrong thing, if that was the case at any rate. Whatever it is, I'm guessing they didn't just make a customer-for-life. Sad too, this won't be your only tarantula for long. ;)

bestco

3 Year Member
In future before buying a tarantula go to Google and get a care sheet on the t your thinking of purchasing there loads of information, pet store's just want to make money,

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Well I'm about to go run and get her Eco Earth coconut substrate. My poor baby. :( I just asked the pet store and apparently she's captive bred.
If you buy it in brick form, let it dry completely, which could take a few days unfortunately. Look for the more expensive loose mix, get some bark for a starter burrow, and let it be for while. Someone said pre-molt? Sucks for you, but I've been there. My B. vagans buried itself the very day I got it, but came out beautifully a week later.

bestco

3 Year Member
If you need your substrate dry asap put in on a tray and put in a oven at 190 for 15 mins and it will be dry as a bone ;)

Jordylol

3 Year Member
Sad too, this won't be your only tarantula for long. ;)
she won't be my only for long? ...D: omg I hope nothing happens to her.. I would bawl.

and yeah they carry the correct substrate.. lol. which is even more perplexing.

In future before buying a tarantula go to Google and get a care sheet on the t your thinking of purchasing there loads of information, pet store's just want to make money,
Duly noted. lol

If you buy it in brick form, let it dry completely, which could take a few days unfortunately. Look for the more expensive loose mix, get some bark for a starter burrow, and let it be for while. Someone said pre-molt? Sucks for you, but I've been there. My B. vagans buried itself the very day I got it, but came out beautifully a week later.
Damn... I was hoping to get her out of there asap.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Very good point!

If you buy the brick and rehydrate it, you can also bake it in the oven for a while to draw out the moisture. I use one of those foil turkey pans and set the oven to about 220, leaving it cracked open a bit. Then I stir it occasionally to make sure the lower levels dry as well (or, you can take it out and scoop out the top layers as they dry). Just make sure to keep an eye on it. :) It'll also fill your home with a nice, earthy scent. ;)

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Sorry, no...I meant that tarantulas are addictive!! :D. You'll be wanting more very soon! YOUR Rosie will be fine! But when especially when it goes into molt, you'll miss it terribly and will be getting more, I'm sure.
Check out mikesbasictarantula online. Great care sheets for loads of spp. as well as a great list of beginner T's.

bestco

3 Year Member
Yes very additive lol, I can't stop lol, yes very good website mikestarantulas for ant caresheet ;)

Jordylol

3 Year Member
just changed her substrate and good news!! I got to hold her for the first time.
my rosie.jpg