• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hapalopus Sp. Colombia (Gros) Adult enclosures?

swimbait

3 Year Member
Sounds like you have never been to the container store, or even the sterilite type tub section in walmart... TONS of plastic shoebox type containers with clear lids that you don't need to open the lid to see them in. I too don't like to keep my tarantulas in anything I have to open the lid to see them in and I keep majority of them in some type of sterilite type container. The container store has tons and tons of options. You are gonna spend a fortune if you rehouse all your Ts into those cages from the suggested sites, plus those cages don't even allow for much substrate. I prefer to give my terrestrial T's several inches of substrate.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds like you have never been to the container store, or even the sterilite type tub section in walmart... TONS of plastic shoebox type containers with clear lids that you don't need to open the lid to see them in. I too don't like to keep my tarantulas in anything I have to open the lid to see them in and I keep majority of them in some type of sterilite type container. The container store has tons and tons of options. You are gonna spend a fortune if you rehouse all your Ts into those cages from the suggested sites, plus those cages don't even allow for much substrate. I prefer to give my terrestrial T's several inches of substrate.
Sounds like White Rabbit is looking for a display tank. The containers you described certainly are inexpensive but probably won't fill the bill. If you ammortize the cost of the enclosure over the life of a T, it is not that expensive when compared to other pets. At least that is how I justify it ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds like White Rabbit is looking for a display tank. The containers you described certainly are inexpensive but probably won't fill the bill. If you ammortize the cost of the enclosure over the life of a T, it is not that expensive when compared to other pets. At least that is how I justify it ;)
Agreed. My T's when matured and full size, or close to it, will all be in either these acrylic enclosures or aquariums modified for them as display tanks. I totally get the clear containers from walmart or the container store. I have a few of those in the closet waiting for my itty bitty slings to grow into them. but when they're full size i want something to show them off in like these enclosures.

Maybe i'll try my hand in making one myself with acrylic, can't be much harder than making a base ball show case, just lots bigger :)

swimbait

3 Year Member
Agreed. My T's when matured and full size, or close to it, will all be in either these acrylic enclosures or aquariums modified for them as display tanks. I totally get the clear containers from walmart or the container store. I have a few of those in the closet waiting for my itty bitty slings to grow into them. but when they're full size i want something to show them off in like these enclosures.

Maybe i'll try my hand in making one myself with acrylic, can't be much harder than making a base ball show case, just lots bigger :)

It's really extremely simple if you're willing to spend some money. Plexi glass isn't cheap but its simple to work with, get all your pieces cut at the store and put them together with some caulking.

It'd be nice to have all my T's in something like those but I would be looking at thousands and thousands in cages, imagine the tarantulas I could buy with that money instead!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's really extremely simple if you're willing to spend some money. Plexi glass isn't cheap but its simple to work with, get all your pieces cut at the store and put them together with some caulking.

It'd be nice to have all my T's in something like those but I would be looking at thousands and thousands in cages, imagine the tarantulas I could buy with that money instead!
True. I'd be in for almost a grand with just the 7 Ts we have. Maybe I'll just do that for the special ones. Like the genic and GBB since they're my son's prized ones now.

Also I see Amazon has some more acrylic small enclosures for fairly cheap. Crystal zoo is the brand. I ordered one to put the genic in since he seems a bit cramped in his current setup.

corij

3 Year Member
small glass aquariums look good in my opinion and cheap to buy . you have to make the lid tho . iv been thinking of buying one, tipping it on its side so the lid is now one side if you get my drift . aquarium glass is often very good quality iv noticed

WhiteRabbit

3 Year Member
i just feel that glass wouldn't be good because the cross ventilation would be poor? Am i right that terrestrial species need cross ventilation?

i might go with Jamie's T's..maybe..still pondering.

We lost another T,.N8's favorite #Five,.she went to molt and got wedged under some webbing and couldnt kick her molt off,.by the time i found her she was already gone...Out of all the HspCL,.that was the hardest hit to take...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i just feel that glass wouldn't be good because the cross ventilation would be poor? Am i right that terrestrial species need cross ventilation?

i might go with Jamie's T's..maybe..still pondering.

We lost another T,.N8's favorite #Five,.she went to molt and got wedged under some webbing and couldnt kick her molt off,.by the time i found her she was already gone...Out of all the HspCL,.that was the hardest hit to take...

Cross ventilation is good for all spiders, but if it's a dry, terrestrial species, it will do fine in a regular glass tank. I have several in them. Sorry about your sling..that's 3 now, right? Really bad luck..

swimbait

3 Year Member

Are they still in those deli cups? Sorry for your loss

WhiteRabbit

3 Year Member
Nah,.i moved them up to deeeeper cups. All four of them have made burrows now,.#Two's 'burrow' is more like a massive crater than a tunnel,.but yay for artistic freedom? idk, he'll figure it out lol.

These cups are keping moisture MUCH better! More dry on top, but moist underneath.

Happy spiders..again,.i'd take photos..but..phone..so icky..

WhiteRabbit

3 Year Member
Cross ventilation is good for all spiders, but if it's a dry, terrestrial species, it will do fine in a regular glass tank. I have several in them. Sorry about your sling..that's 3 now, right? Really bad luck..

yeah,.three.

I spoke to the breeder and she was telling me that basically,.'**** happens'. As a newer T owner i'm bound to make mistakes but learn from them.

And i am,.so far i've learned that:

-Even if they arent burrowing, i prefer taller cups so they dont web to the lid or get tangle durring molts.

-More ventilation keeps mold at bay and how much to mist certain types of substrate, not too much, not too little.

-The Indian Violet though,..webs like crazy and burrows even more..every day theres new web and fresh dirt lol.

Latest posts