• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hapalopus Sp. Colombia (Gros) Adult enclosures?

WhiteRabbit

3 Year Member
So ive got five slings, all growing into juvies pretty quickly. As for adult size enclosure, what is suitable for them?

Ive looked at Jamie's Tarantula's and some other sites but i cant really seem to find anything that i approve of...mostly there just isnt enough room for them to dig around.

I know there is an abundance of tubaware i can use but im looking for something nice.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
tarantulacages.com if you want to spend the money.

I'm going cheap and easy with the clear totes.

Thistles

3 Year Member
These guys don't get big at all. A 2.5 gallon tank is more than adequate for adult females. I used a 4"x8"x4" AMAC box for the MM I used to have.

WhiteRabbit

3 Year Member
i know they dont get big xD i just have SO many deli cups right now that i think i want to start putting them into fancier enclosures.
Locking lids are a must as i have a nosy feline who i'd like to keep alive lol.

Most of the enclosures ive seen just dont feel like they're deep enough.

Last edited:

WhiteRabbit

3 Year Member
guys. i already have cheap containers. im looking for something /nice/.

please read the first post i made before posting.

WhiteRabbit

3 Year Member
like seriously,.i have ready have deli cups and crappy plastic tubbaware from walmart,..

The whole point of this poist is about finding an enclosure that is an actual enclosure.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you have the space, I always recommend at least a 5 gallon aquarium with the appropriate screen. Acrylic is my next choice and there are a couple of good suppliers that I buy from. The first is Lorex plastics and you can find them on eBay. If you want something immediately, that is the way to go. If you have some time, check out http://acrylicreptilecages.com/. There are lots of threads out there already to compare the pros/cons of both acrylic to glass. Happy hunting!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
like seriously,.i have ready have deli cups and crappy plastic tubbaware from walmart,..

The whole point of this poist is about finding an enclosure that is an actual enclosure.
Denny has a good idea with www.acrylicreptilecages.com. www.tarantulacages.com has some really nice enclosures. https://jamiestarantulas.com/enclosures/ has both adult sized aboreal and terrestrial enclosures that are nice. each are a complete setup for under $100 before shipping etc. plenty of room for your little guy :) Or like Denny said you can order the acrylic and create your own in the style you want. You can always buy a terrarium and convert it, that's what we'll be doing for my son's genic in a few years, then you can add whatever you want for décor.

SasyStace

3 Year Member

I would suggest Google- they have loads of options for you to look at- and my Hp is in Jamie's and there is more than enough from for them to dig and tunnel. Good luck with your search

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well then...
after reading the thread she obviously has something in mind that she's not finding. My suggestion is to make it to your specifications. Bottom line is it has to please spider. Your wants are secondary.
In all honesty any acrylic hinged box can be ventilated, and acrylic hasps are cheap and easy to attach, any little lock or clip will keep it secure then. After that, then it's a matter of setting it up to meet their needs, Plenty of places do custom acrylic.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I really like the enclosures on www.acrylicreptilecages.com/ much better than the www.tarantulacages.com items. Tarantualcages don't have any side vents, i'd have to drill some and i'd hate to mess up an enclosure that expensive lol. plus they're almost 3 times the price- 10x5x7 on tarantulacages for $65 vs 10x6x6 on acrylicreptile at $25. Definitely going to shop there for enclosures when my T's are closer to mature.

Only thing i don't like is the vent right in the middle, on that 10x6x6 enclosure that only leaves 2" below the vent for substrate, unless you cover half of it somehow, then you get 3" depth.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I really like the enclosures on www.acrylicreptilecages.com/ much better than the www.tarantulacages.com items. Tarantualcages don't have any side vents, i'd have to drill some and i'd hate to mess up an enclosure that expensive lol. plus they're almost 3 times the price- 10x5x7 on tarantulacages for $65 vs 10x6x6 on acrylicreptile at $25. Definitely going to shop there for enclosures when my T's are closer to mature.

Only thing i don't like is the vent right in the middle, on that 10x6x6 enclosure that only leaves 2" below the vent for substrate, unless you cover half of it somehow, then you get 3" depth.
Yeah, wow that looks like a perfect enclosure for this species and a decent price for something that nice, too. Good find @Denny Dee and nice shout out, @kormath.

WhiteRabbit

3 Year Member
THANKYOU guys. I just,.like,.ive looked at a /few/ places but was really just hoping to get some more websites from you guys, since a lot of your are long time keepers.

I went and looked at tarantulacages.com recently, not back but i wanted some more stuff to consider.

And we have like..a dozen of those plastic shoe boxes and thats why we are trying to get away from them. Nate says he wants to actually be able to see the spiders without having to open the lids because the plastic shoebox things are translucent but not clear like acrylic..and with something like Esmeralda (our zebra leg) we really shouldn't be opening it ever.

She flies at the gap when you crack the lid...nope...

He actually looked at me and made me promise we would'nt be one of those keepers that has like 200 deli cups and cheep tubbaware and walmart stuff everywhere..

so im trying to decide on what i can get so that i can get everyone into /somewhat/ matching containers.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Go with acrylic reptiles, cheaper, side vents, and latching door top or front, or sliding top.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In the long run, glass is better. It does not scratch and is easier to clean. All acrylic warps/bows in time due to humidity. So, not optimal for tropicals or anything above about 50% humidity. They do look awesome though!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In the long run, glass is better. It does not scratch and is easier to clean. All acrylic warps/bows in time due to humidity. So, not optimal for tropicals or anything above about 50% humidity. They do look awesome though!
Good to know. I've never done anything with acrylic that is around humidity before. Just baseball boxes and other collectible storage containers.