• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Concerned new tarantula owner

Ashlyn Austin

3 Year Member
Okay so I've had my Chilean Rosehair tarantula for about a month and a half now. I had to clean out her enclosure and the soil is wet and she won't leave her hollowed out tree she is just sitting on top of it. I haven't had to refill her water in two days now and she used to suck it dry and I refilled it every morning. I'm getting worried. Any suggestions or information that might help Selma out????

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
I would suggest a photo to actually show the enclosure and the T in question,this would help someone better understand what's going on. It could just be she is in a cycle of not eating and drinking well known with them or even pre-molt,where they suck up loads of fluids just before the actual molt.

Ashlyn Austin

3 Year Member
Okay so this is her right now. I just am worried about her

Attachments

• 20141013_010530.jpg
    20141013_010530.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 120

Ashlyn Austin

3 Year Member
Actually y dad pointed out yesterday that she was losing hair but we didn't know. Should I take he crickets out so they don't hurt her in case she molts tonight??

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Okay so this is her right now. I just am worried about her

Something I've noticed could be wrong, is her substrate wet ? If so,rather dry it out since they dislike wet substrate and won't be happy and won't eat etc. They are desert scrubland tarantulas,I would keep the substrate dry overfill the water dish slightly to moisten only that surrounding area of the dish and position the hide on the opposite side.

Ashlyn Austin

3 Year Member
Yes its really wet! we got the blocks that you soak in a 5 gallon bucket so it stays really moist. She hasn't left the top of the hollowed out tree since we changed it out

Ashlyn Austin

3 Year Member
Well I'll try drying it out I know she hates being wet and cold so hopefully it helps! I really appreciate you help I'm really new at this!

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well I'll try drying it out I know she hates being wet and cold so hopefully it helps! I really appreciate you help I'm really new at this!

May I just say two things
- firstly its a pleasure to help,if it wasn't I shouldn't be here.
- secondly we are all still learning each and every day,no matter how long we've been in the hobby.
So ask away,and most important have fun and enjoy your awesome pet.

Anthony York

3 Year Member
yeah and always remember that not one person on this site knows everything but we will still help as much as possible and if we can.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
I thought I had my substrate dry, but it still took mine three or four days of it drying out further before she'd come down from her hide and the walls and actually walk on it.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi, so the Rosie needs dry substrate? Everything I read on the internet stated damp?
Hello
Rosea aren't from damp areas, so it stands to reason to use dry sub. I believe that one has to research the origin of a specimen,not just follow what people say since nature can't be rewritten.

Latest posts