• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Concerned new tarantula owner

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Okay so I've had my Chilean Rosehair tarantula for about a month and a half now. I had to clean out her enclosure and the soil is wet and she won't leave her hollowed out tree she is just sitting on top of it. I haven't had to refill her water in two days now and she used to suck it dry and I refilled it every morning. I'm getting worried. Any suggestions or information that might help Selma out????
Hello,
I agree with the "dry" substrate. Also, if I may, remove prey items after 24 hours if not eaten. This will just stress the T out. I feed mine 1 large cricket each week. G. rosea are known to not eat for extended periods, sometimes 6 months even longer.
I would also add more substrate to the enclosure. From top of enclosure to top of substrate should be about 1 1/2 times the DSL of the T. If it should climb to the top and fall there is a chance of injury. [emoji26]
One last item, bury the log a bit deeper, they like a snug fit. These rarely use a hide once they are comfortable in the enclosure.[emoji4]
Hope this comes across as friendly information as this is how I want you to receive it. [emoji4]
Btw, welcome to the hobby.

Poec54

3 Year Member
There are a number of tarantulas that live in dry regions that can't tolerate moist substrate for long. Most, if not all of the baboon spiders from east and south Africa need fairly dry substrate. I wouldn't keep any of the Aphonopelma rom the US and northern Mexico on moist substrate either.

Matts

3 Year Member
This might be a little old, but a bit of advice I learned today. I remember from getting my haircut when I was a kid my mom would say "Start with a little, you can always do more".

Well I applied this to the substrate water trick. I used about half of what they recommended (Using eco earth coco-brick) and the substrate came out nice and fluffy, but dry enough for the spider to be comfortable and dry 'enough'.

Next time maybe add water little by little, or, whatever. Worked for me, to each his own :p

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
If you have a large container to spread the substrate out in it will dry in a day or two if you accidentally add too much water.

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
If you really wanted to replicate the natural habitat of a chilean rose dampening the substrate seasonally is closest to how they actually live. Through april to may is considered the chile rainy season, so I would expect their natural habitat does get damp throughout this period. I also heard somewhere that some breeders flood chilean rose burrows during these seasons as it is related to the seasons when males go on the prowl, however I am not 100% sure if that is true and I wouldn't recommend flooding your Ts burrow XD

brianzion

3 Year Member
hi all I noticed this was a problem to much damp and now have drier substrate my T (chile rose) scarlet seems to prefer drier than moist she still is acclimatising since I brought her home I have only had her a couple of weeks and she don't move much yet (more since the drier substrate though)

Last edited:

Latest posts