• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Omg, is it too late to get that one now? I really hope you find one for him and make sure you get pick of the litter when the babies hatch. No one will be eaten if you keep an eye on them. I hope to breed some of mine one day, I want to name my house Chile rose farm.
yeah, she has since been sold, sadly..

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey, Plessey...Just wondering if you could let me know what the temperament of your A.purpurea and your A.minitrix are? I read a lot of contradictory info online, so thought I'd ask someone with experience :)

Atx13

3 Year Member
Pretty much all Avics, other than A. Avic's are more skittish and nervous(A. Avics are already "nervous" but some of the more colorful ones are way worse), not really the handling types(A. Minatrix is the only Avic i've kept to give me a threat display)
.I've kept Giant pinktoes, A. metallica, A. versicolor, and A. minatrix in the past..
I'm really a firm believer in every T has its own personality as well, seeing as I've had obts i could "handle" and Rosies that would bit my face if i let them... Basically, once you get a new T you learn its temperament, and how to interact with it. I can damn near pinch grab my current H. Lividum( i wont, but could if i wanted to, lol), while i cant even refill my G, Rosea's water dish, with out her coming after me :p.
(Just my 2 cents)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pretty much all Avics, other than A. Avic's are more skittish and nervous(A. Avics are already "nervous" but some of the more colorful ones are way worse), not really the handling types(A. Minatrix is the only Avic i've kept to give me a threat display)
.I've kept Giant pinktoes, A. metallica, A. versicolor, and A. minatrix in the past..
I'm really a firm believer in every T has its own personality as well, seeing as I've had obts i could "handle" and Rosies that would bit my face if i let them... Basically, once you get a new T you learn its temperament, and how to interact with it. I can damn near pinch grab my current H. Lividum( i wont, but could if i wanted to, lol), while i cant even refill my G, Rosea's water dish, with out her coming after me :p.
(Just my 2 cents)
That's hilarious, I still think she is a psycho wearing a old rosey skin

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was hoping she would settle down once I got her home, and everything.. not a chance, lol.
How long have you had her for? I've had twelve roses (hoping to pick up three slings tomorrow, been trying to get to the pet shop all week) none of mine have been aggressive but if you google tarantula bites, loads of people get bitten by rosies but I think its because people assume they are ok to handle them and they end up over stepping the mark. I don't know what your ones excuse is tho ....

Atx13

3 Year Member
How long have you had her for? I've had twelve roses (hoping to pick up three slings tomorrow, been trying to get to the pet shop all week) none of mine have been aggressive but if you google tarantula bites, loads of people get bitten by rosies but I think its because people assume they are ok to handle them and they end up over stepping the mark. I don't know what your ones excuse is tho ....
Like three weeks now.. Lol

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A.avicularia (Karina), approx. 3"
006.JPG

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
King Solomon who I haven't seen much since his recent moult. in my totally biased opinion this spider is beautiful.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I was hoping she would settle down once I got her home, and everything.. not a chance, lol.

I agree with a previous comment that each spider has their own personality and roses are no exception. My larger female, Athena, is extremely docile and completely submissive. The smaller, Artemis, is crazy for the most part. If I mess around in her enclosure too much (cleaning, changing water, etc.) she goes nuts and throws up threat displays. I've even had her kick hairs while removing her water bowl. She did have a roach in her jaws at the time, however.

Latest posts