• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia Versicolor

Kaylee Broome

3 Year Member
Got my first Avi. Versicolor not to long ago. Still being a sling its so tiny!:)

Attachments

• IMG_5202.JPG
    IMG_5202.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 100

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I wonder why they would be scarce in the UK, they seem abundant in the US

Perhaps its time for a local breeding project... hint hint ;)

Ghost

3 Year Member
I wonder why they would be scarce in the UK, they seem abundant in the US

Perhaps its time for a local breeding project... hint hint ;)
Their not that scarce in the UK I've just done a quick search and there are at least two online shops selling slings at the moment,I've never had a problem getting hold of them...

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm after a mature or juvenile versicolor don't think I'm experienced enough for slings

I don't have much experience at all with Ts (new curly hair owner) but I would think it would be easier to acclimate care for a 3/4"+ sized sling than a juvie or adult - the sling would likely adapt more readily to new conditions than an established animal. We just have to provide the right conditions for it, generally, like a properly constructed enclosure with good airflow and mild humidity, according to what I've read and learned about Avics on here.

Then again, I'm a rank noob so WTF do I know?!?! :confused: LOL

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Avics need such precise conditions that I'd rather go for a sling than risk losing a juvi. I have only recently bought my first Avic which died during its first moult with me and that was bad enough. I dread to think how bad I'd have felt if it had been a juvi.

Ghost

3 Year Member
I'm after a mature or juvenile versicolor don't think I'm experienced enough for slings
Avics aren't that hard to keep as long as you can get the condions correct for them,but if you haven't kept slings before then it's probably best to go for a juvenile although you will still have to get the conditions spot on.

If you are set on getting a versicolor then I know a reputable breeder that has a juvenile female for sale you can PM me if you want his contact info....

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Avics aren't that hard to keep as long as you can get the condions correct for them,but if you haven't kept slings before then it's probably best to go for a juvenile although you will still have to get the conditions spot on.

If you are set on getting a versicolor then I know a reputable breeder that has a juvenile female for sale you can PM me if you want his contact info....

I'm super interested in keeping A. versicolor, and have only a general idea (as indicated in my post above) but would you mind bullet-list outlining the basic parameters for the Avic in question, please, Ghost?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A,versi
temp, 24/26c
hummidty, 70/75
Aboreal enclosure with exallent cross ventolation. keep them on dry substrate with a water bowl once 1" (slings u will have to keep the substrate lightly moist !!!) :):):)

Thanks for the info, SNoob!

So 1" and up dry substrate with water bowl?

Also, how tall of an enclosure for that 1" sized sling?

Ghost

3 Year Member
I'm super interested in keeping A. versicolor, and have only a general idea (as indicated in my post above) but would you mind bullet-list outlining the basic parameters for the Avic in question, please, Ghost?
Sure no problem I'll give you a quick run down of how I keep my Avics from slings to adults,the only difference will be the size of enclosures for slings and adults I start all my Avic slings in 32once deli cups.
1) Cross Ventilation,this is the most important part to get correct as most avic deaths are from poor ventilation and the enclosure getting to stuffy,stale stagnant air is a killer for avics,I start my ventilation holes a few mm above the substrate level round the sides then spaced out right up to the top of enclosure,but not any in the lid this lets out humidity.
2)Substrate I keep mine dry even for slings(only for avics)I use topsoil for my sub so it doesn't dry out as much as coco fiber but I still keep it as dry as I can get it.
3) Water Dish another very important item even for slings as this is where you get the humidity from and not wet sub or misting the side of the enclosure ,so dish must be kept full at all times.
4)Temperature/Humidity I keep mine between 78-82 Fahrenheit and around 70% humidity.
5)Enclosure decor add some branches and or fake plants to give plenty of anchor points for your avic to start webbing.
6)Drinking water although there's a water dish and your avic will drink from it,this is mainly for humidity so I also use a syringe or dropper to directly drop some water on to the webbing once a week for drinking.
I hope this answers some of your questions regarding keeping avics.
I have a avic sac due to be pulled at the end of the month and I'm considering starting a thread on 5 of the slings from when they go into their first enclosures and documenting their progress throughout each moult with pictures so that newbies can get a better idea of how to keep them and also to prove their not as difficult to keep as some care sheets suggest...

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Great info Ghost!

How much substrate do you use, 1" or so?
Any reason not to mix potting soil Eco Earth?
Do you fill the water dish through one of the vent holes or from the top?
Maybe you did elsewhere, but could you post a pic of one of your Avic sling enclosures, please?

Thanks so much!

Ghost

3 Year Member
Great info Ghost!

How much substrate do you use, 1" or so?
Any reason not to mix potting soil Eco Earth?
Do you fill the water dish through one of the vent holes or from the top?
Maybe you did elsewhere, but could you post a pic of one of your Avic sling enclosures, please?

Thanks so much!

Yes 1"or so of substrate is fine for slings,you can mix topsoil and Eco Earth together if you want,I fill the water dish from the top using a syringe.

Here's a photo of a grown on versi sling just after being transferred into a bigger enclosure just to give you a rough idea of how I keep them.
image.jpg

As you can see its pretty basic but it's all you need and they soon start to web round the fake plant,I usually put more fake plants in but I was running out with this one Lol......

Latest posts