• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia Versicolor

Megan Pomerinke

3 Year Member
Hello! I am new to the Tarantula world, but have done a lot of research. I just got my versicolor sling and my cork bark is starting to show little spots of mold. I was spraying one tiny spritz of water twice a week. HELP. Should I switch from cork bark entirely to plastic fake wood. What is everyone's suggestions?

Megan Pomerinke

3 Year Member
Yesterday I took out the cork bark and added these little sticks with moss on them I got at Petco. My T seemed super happy with the change and started exploring right away! How often do you recommend that I give a spray of water? I was doing three times a week but now that seems like way to much because of the mold. I did do a bunch of research before I got my t, but it still is a new, learning experience. I'm feeding him/her twice a week a pinhead cricket. If anybody has any advice, let me know. ❤️❤️

Megan Pomerinke

3 Year Member
My cute Avicularia Versicolor ❤️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. Lovely little spider. To answer your question, 3 times a week seems excessive (can't believe I said that....lol). Looks like moss in there too which retains moisture a lot anyway. Do you have an open water dish for the little one. A screw cap from a drinks Bottle will be big enough. The set up looks ideal. Lots of places to hide, the right height and cross ventilation so there should be no worries there. Just don't mist too much. Belive it or not, without cross ventilation and if humidity too high, the spiderlings can effectively drown. Once a week (at most) should be fine unless you are in a really hot dry country in which case yu may need to do it twice.
In terms of research, care sheets on line or OK, but the best advice comes from experienced keepers many of which I suspect have already we come you and given advice already. You will love this forum.

Megan Pomerinke

3 Year Member
I don't have a water bottle cap with water in there. Where do I put it? Its enclosure is so small and I read that when they are this small they get there water from both the crickets and when you do most the tiny water droplets on the side of the enclosure?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't have a water bottle cap with water in there. Where do I put it? Its enclosure is so small and I read that when they are this small they get there water from both the crickets and when you do most the tiny water droplets on the side of the enclosure?
They'll get almost all the moisture they need from the prey, the water bottle cap is used to help regulate humidity. You won't need to mist the enclosure with a cap of water inside, unless it's really dry where you are like @Phil said. Just put it on the "floor" and keep it full. Put a pebble or something inside to help hold it down and that will give something for the crickets to climb on if they go in the water so they don't drown.

Like the others said the cross ventilation is key. If it were me i'd use a 1/16" drill bit and drill a few dozen (or maybe just a dozen really ;)) holes for ventilation opposite the screen in that enclosure.

Welcome to the forum! love those little tiny avics :D

Megan Pomerinke

3 Year Member
Awesome! Thank you all for the tips and advice. I'm so happy to be a part of the wonderful T world! I love my little Versicolor and can't wait to watch it grow. This is such an awesome experience that I'm so excited about. ❤️

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Absolutely. Avics are easy with the proper set up. Stuffy enclosures are avic killers. Forget care sheets and keeping humidity at a certain percentage. Give that baby a water dish and drill some holes for cross ventilation. If it seems excessively dry one quick spritz of water is more then enough. Keep the dish full of fresh clean water and Step back, watch it Web and grow :)

Quick suggestion! Glue your bark to the top of the enclosure so the Web and sling aren't disturbed when you open it. I use a couple of these set ups as well and it makes things way easier on you. Once it's glued you can take the top off set it down and your baby is secure while you change water clean etc :)
ie-(minus the bark I use lots of leaf cover for mine, either or both is fine but more Web points is a plus.)
image.jpg

Last edited:

Megan Pomerinke

3 Year Member
Awesome thank you. I really appreciate all the help. I will do little cross ventilation holes when I get home and add some silk leaves for more coverage. And add the water bottle cap with water as well.

Latest posts