• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

55 gallons...

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As lovely as that tank is, I agree with others that even for a large terrestrial such as an LP, the style (I. E tall rather than flat) is really better suited to a large arboreal. P. Regalis can grow big and the singapore blue tree spider is also a large species up to 8 or 9 inches DLS so will be an impressive sight. I am never convinced with the colony concept but I know some have been successful. If decorated with many plants and branches, hides etc, you will have a really good looking display tank regardless of whatever is in it. Down side being for a terrestrial, if you have stuff to climb up, they probably will and therefore you increase the risk of a fall as they are not as adept climbers as the arboreal species that have evolved that skill. I hope this is useful. Keep us updated with how things progress ☺

auganator

3 Year Member
As lovely as that tank is, I agree with others that even for a large terrestrial such as an LP, the style (I. E tall rather than flat) is really better suited to a large arboreal. P. Regalis can grow big and the singapore blue tree spider is also a large species up to 8 or 9 inches DLS so will be an impressive sight. I am never convinced with the colony concept but I know some have been successful. If decorated with many plants and branches, hides etc, you will have a really good looking display tank regardless of whatever is in it. Down side being for a terrestrial, if you have stuff to climb up, they probably will and therefore you increase the risk of a fall as they are not as adept climbers as the arboreal species that have evolved that skill. I hope this is useful. Keep us updated with how things progress ☺
I was going to do an aboreal, but decided against doing a P. due to their venom being fatal in cats and potentially in dogs, and other species are just too small.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was going to do an aboreal, but decided against doing a P. due to their venom being fatal in cats and potentially in dogs, and other species are just too small.
Fair enough. Safety first ☺

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
Sulawesi Black (Cyriopagopus sp."Sulawesi")
From the lush Indonesian island of Sulawesi, comes one of the largest arboreal tarantulas in the world! The Sulawesi Black is jet black with "tiger" banding abdomenal markings, and an incredable legspan reaching up to 9"!! Similar in care to a Singapore Blue (Lampropelma violaceopes), this species does best when allowed to burrow into deep substrate, plus given enough height for climbing. Don't let this rare arboreal species get away!!

A 9" arboreal would have plenty of room to roam in that tank.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sulawesi Black (Cyriopagopus sp."Sulawesi")
From the lush Indonesian island of Sulawesi, comes one of the largest arboreal tarantulas in the world! The Sulawesi Black is jet black with "tiger" banding abdomenal markings, and an incredable legspan reaching up to 9"!! Similar in care to a Singapore Blue (Lampropelma violaceopes), this species does best when allowed to burrow into deep substrate, plus given enough height for climbing. Don't let this rare arboreal species get away!!

A 9" arboreal would have plenty of room to roam in that tank.
I want to add one eventually but it's my understanding that they have potent venom and won't hesitate to bite. Even slings throwing postures. Like the idea of a T that stridulates though.

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
I want to add one eventually but it's my understanding that they have potent venom and won't hesitate to bite. Even slings throwing postures. Like the idea of a T that stridulates though.

They are one of many on my list to get. Although i haven't found too many for sale.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine is to busy hoping I'll drop another to dance. Stuffed three little roaches in his/her maw last night. Lol
That's my A. genic :) 4 medium roaches last night. Typically only give him 2 but my son wanted to see if he'd take all 4. He did, was quite entertaining to watch. I thought the lateralis were fast but Savage was on them in no time. Even dropped one on his way back to hide and turned around and picked it back up lol he wasn't letting anything go to waste :)

auganator

3 Year Member
20160804_124843.jpg

Meet squishy

auganator

3 Year Member
hey all, squishy is doing great ( eats like a marathon runner) but i underestimated florida humidity. i havnt misted his tank once since i got him, but its still 80% humidity and hes starting to get some mold growth. i scooped out as much mold as i could, and poked twice as much ventilation. should that be good, or do i need to change ALL the substrate?

Latest posts