• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

55 gallons...

auganator

3 Year Member
so heres my situation, I have an empty 55 gallon aquarium sitting in my room. It used to contain fish but i have 2 other aquiriums with fish and 2 ponds, and decided i had enough fish. afterwords i had crested geckos, but as i already have 2 leopard geckos and 2 ball pythons i decided i have enough reptiles. Finally i came to the conclusion that i should get a tarantula, only issue is that 55 gallons seem MASSIVE for a tarantula. So i came here wondering what your guys opinion would be on putting a large arboreal tarantula, like a P. ornata in a 55 gallon tank.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No ventilation except for the top. If it's not tempered you can drill vent holes. I couldn't sell my 56g tall fish tank so I was going to split it into 4 enclosures but drilling the tempered glass did what I expected and the tank went to the dumpster.

Only thing you could use in it that wouldn't be a waste of space I can think is like a T. stirmi or one of the other giants, unless you can partition it.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
so heres my situation, I have an empty 55 gallon aquarium sitting in my room. It used to contain fish but i have 2 other aquiriums with fish and 2 ponds, and decided i had enough fish. afterwords i had crested geckos, but as i already have 2 leopard geckos and 2 ball pythons i decided i have enough reptiles. Finally i came to the conclusion that i should get a tarantula, only issue is that 55 gallons seem MASSIVE for a tarantula. So i came here wondering what your guys opinion would be on putting a large arboreal tarantula, like a P. ornata in a 55 gallon tank.
Most certainly it is doable and more importantly, iF done right, makes a great centrepiece . I have done it myself. Juwel Trigon 190 litre corner aquarium with added ventilation at the top and screw on lid supports to prevent any escapes. I had my big A geniculata in there, It was full of logs, roots and plants both up the sides and on the ground. Pics below to hopefully help.
20151025_162652.jpg
20151025_162758.jpg
20151025_162749.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And welcome to the forum too. Just realised you are a newbie here. Really nice people on here. I hope you enjoy being a member of our family. ☺

Telson

3 Year Member
Turn it upright for an arboreal, and as long as the lid is well ventilated you have plenty of air coming in, pretty much an open sided enclosure. A big Poeci would be happy in it, any decent sized arboreal would like it, and you could fill extra space with plants or other cover that spiders like.

auganator

3 Year Member
One further question, are there any large aboreals that are handleable? It's not a requirement, just wondering as I know p. Regalis is not, and that's the species I'm leaning towards right now.

Telson

3 Year Member
Many of them are handleable, many are not. Ive seen laid back obts and evil G pulchripes. You just never know..I just wouldnt try it with an old world spider, obviously :), but the truth is you're kinda rolling the dice anytime you pick one up. If I had to recommend a handleable arboreal id say maybe an A metallica, A avic, something like that. They dont get big though..

auganator

3 Year Member
and whats everyone's opinion on getting a regalis as a first time T owner, i have plenty of experience with maintaining humidity and temperatures from reptile husbandry. from what i can tell the only thing that makes the regalis a "not for beginners" spider is the venom potency and temperament, which is a non issue for me.

Telson

3 Year Member
and whats everyone's opinion on getting a regalis as a first time T owner, i have plenty of experience with maintaining humidity and temperatures from reptile husbandry. from what i can tell the only thing that makes the regalis a "not for beginners" spider is the venom potency and temperament, which is a non issue for me.
More power to you ;) An intelligent informed adult that has no phobia of spiders shouldn't have any issues. My only advice is to be aware of just how fast they can move when they're panicked..and stay calm when they do it. Cheers :)

auganator

3 Year Member
More power to you ;) An intelligent informed adult that has no phobia of spiders shouldn't have any issues. My only advice is to be aware of just how fast they can move when they're panicked..and stay calm when they do it. Cheers :)
the only spiders im scared of are huntsmens, that leg to body ratio is just way to far off. that being said, i have grabbed a few injured slow moving ones to put them outside.

Telson

3 Year Member
the only spiders im scared of are huntsmens, that leg to body ratio is just way to far off. that being said, i have grabbed a few injured slow moving ones to put them outside.
Ive heard quite a few people make that comment about the long legged ones. I never got it. Its one of the things that make Amblypigyds awesome..

auganator

3 Year Member
Ive heard quite a few people make that comment about the long legged ones. I never got it. Its one of the things that make Amblypigyds awesome..
i dont know what it is, im also scared of roaches, they terrify me. Which brings me to my next question, when shes an adult could i just throw like 7 adult crickets in there once a week with a bit of that gel cricket food? with that size tank and alot of plants/branches in it, i wouldnt think the crickets harming her would be a concern.

Telson

3 Year Member
i dont know what it is, im also scared of roaches, they terrify me. Which brings me to my next question, when shes an adult could i just throw like 7 adult crickets in there once a week with a bit of that gel cricket food? with that size tank and alot of plants/branches in it, i wouldnt think the crickets harming her would be a concern.
You can, sure, but make sure she gets them all..they will eat a molting, vulnerable spider. I would suggest buying some dubia and conquering that particular fear:) They make life much easier. Also, the cricket jelly will attract pests, eventually.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Like telson said they are fast, pokies are great Ts but you need to have your wits about you when working with them, if they see an oppertunity to make a run for it they can, and will do. Also they arent really a display species, when i got my adult female sh went straight in her hide and thats where she stayed lol. Occasionally sitting at the entrance but mostly stayed inside. They are gorgeous though. Im a massive fan of pokies [emoji2]
Heres my girl, india.
c1688b3104043b289abe558c000f0f57.jpg

auganator

3 Year Member
You can, sure, but make sure she gets them all..they will eat a molting, vulnerable spider. I would suggest buying some dubia and conquering that particular fear:) They make life much easier. Also, the cricket jelly will attract pests, eventually.
i dont know what it is with the roaches, i will hold spiders, snakes, centipedes, but roaches terrify me.

auganator

3 Year Member
what do yall think about adding some springtails and isopods to the tanks to help keep it clean? i plan on having some live plants in there so a cleanup crew would be nice, but i dont have any experience with terrestrial isopods, I add aquatic ones to all my aquariums/ponds though and love them.

auganator

3 Year Member
i just read some of the horror stories from people getting bit by these guys, and while im not concerned for myself, i do have a cat that i am kind of concerned about. while i obviously will do everything in my power to prevent escape if something happens and he gets out, would a bit be fatal for a cat? obviously you guys probably dont know exactly, but just as an educated guess.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
A bite off an old world would probably kill a cat or dog. Id imagine a pokie would run though if confronted by a cat. Ive got 2 dogs and just make sure they are out of the way when doing anything that involves me opening my tanks.