• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

You do not always get heads-up, signs or a death curl....

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lost a P. Rufus big sling over the weekend.
Considering it molted a few weeks back I can imagine a sucking stomach issue on the last molt.
I check on them everyday and when 2 days in a row I saw them in the exact same position I used my paint brush to find out it was already gone :(
No previous signs or death curl or unusual behavior. Just sharing as this happens from time to time and often can’t be explained.
Cheers.
P.S: this is the picture of the dead T as I found it.
EB10EE12-EBD0-46BA-9C5F-23BBA2F40AA4.jpeg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lost a P. Rufus big sling over the weekend.
Considering it molted a few weeks back I can imagine a sucking stomach issue on the last molt.
I check on them everyday and when 2 days in a row I saw them in the exact same position I used my paint brush to find out it was already gone :(
No previous signs or death curl or unusual behavior. Just sharing as this happens from time to time and often can’t be explained.
Cheers.
P.S: this is the picture of the dead T as I found it.View attachment 57100
That sucks. Usually with the sucking stomach they die on the water dish(trying to drink but can't). They end up actually drowning. Its very possible it could be a internal rupture or bleed that got infected.

If I had a dollar for every spider I've found not in a death curl I'd have over $100 for sure.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All good, considering how many we have it is expected to loose a few from time to time although it doesn't make it any easier. This one was surprising by how "alive" it looked even dead, like at the edge of its hole and ready to pounce on anything passing by. Sometimes the Ts are just surprising, like your regalis male @octanejunkie, twice the size of my other mature male and now living the life. They are literally hanging out together peacefully :cool:

Latest posts