• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Would this be a good enclosure for an approximately 2 y/o, 3.5-4in GBB?

scrambled-meat

Hello all, first post here.

I have a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens that is almost 2 years old, and I think about 3.5 to 4 inches in size counting legspan. She just molted a couple weeks ago and have been meaning to get her a new enclosure, ESPECIALLY with her current size, but wanted to get some more professional opinions before doing so, because I want to get her something as appropriate for her as possible.

From what I know based on research I've done, the enclosure she's currently in is not appropriate. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the enclosure she's currently in, but it definitely seems too small for her. And it's taller than it is wide, and opens from the front instead of the top. These were the specific instructions I was given by the guy I adopted her from as to what a good enclosure for her would be, but very shortly after I did some more research and have found from more experienced people that have kept / currently keep greenbottle blues that this is actually not an appropriate enclosure for this species, and instead what would be better would be an enclosure with more horizontal space than vertical space, and one that opens from the top instead of the front. I attached images of the enclosure that I'm looking at getting, and was just wondering if you guys think this would be better-suited, especially in terms of dimensions (especially in terms of her size). If not, do yall have any specific recommendations? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240317_172916.jpg
    20240317_172916.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240317_172925.jpg
    20240317_172925.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
GBB are terrestrial, that is, they live on the ground. But they do need some extra height. As they are not arboreal. That is, do not live above the ground, like some species, but they can legitimately be described as living close to the ground surface.

GBB's love to web & for me. The issue is about protecting their webbing when you open the enclosure.

I have kept GBB's in both arboreal & terrestrial setups & they seem to be happy in both. But are best kept in terrestrial enclosures with a larger floor space. But with some extra height above the surface of the ground.

What ever enclosure you use. If it is top opening, then it requires a reasonable lip between the walls & the removable lid. As with one of my GBB's, I needed to cover part of the enclosure with paper to stop the webbing from being damaged every time I took the lid off to feed.

If you can keep the webbing off the front doors, then front opening is every bit as good as a top opening enclosure.

If the enclosure you have linked to has a mesh lid, look at the mesh & make sure the air holes are a reasonable size, as mesh can easily trap your T's legs & cause real issues. It is why Exo Terra has a bad reputation. Personally I prefer plastic or similar enclosures.

scrambled-meat

GBB are terrestrial, that is, they live on the ground. But they do need some extra height. As they are not arboreal. That is, do not live above the ground, like some species, but they can legitimately be described as living close to the ground surface.

GBB's love to web & for me. The issue is about protecting their webbing when you open the enclosure.

I have kept GBB's in both arboreal & terrestrial setups & they seem to be happy in both. But are best kept in terrestrial enclosures with a larger floor space. But with some extra height above the surface of the ground.

What ever enclosure you use. If it is top opening, then it requires a reasonable lip between the walls & the removable lid. As with one of my GBB's, I needed to cover part of the enclosure with paper to stop the webbing from being damaged every time I took the lid off to feed.

If you can keep the webbing off the front doors, then front opening is every bit as good as a top opening enclosure.

If the enclosure you have linked to has a mesh lid, look at the mesh & make sure the air holes are a reasonable size, as mesh can easily trap your T's legs & cause real issues. It is why Exo Terra has a bad reputation. Personally I prefer plastic or similar enclosures.
Very very useful information, thank you so much for the detailed answer and advice.

What I seem to understand is that, with the enclosure I've linked, the dimensions--at least for floor space--are okay, but it could stand to be a couple inches taller, maybe?? Also when it comes to the mesh lid issue (which I do believe the linked enclosure has), what's a good way of telling what kind/size of a mesh lid is safe and which isn't? I've heard other people say that before but haven't really seen a good explanation as to examples of safe vs unsafe.

Thanks again! Happy Easter if you celebrate.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Very very useful information, thank you so much for the detailed answer and advice.

What I seem to understand is that, with the enclosure I've linked, the dimensions--at least for floor space--are okay, but it could stand to be a couple inches taller, maybe?? Also when it comes to the mesh lid issue (which I do believe the linked enclosure has), what's a good way of telling what kind/size of a mesh lid is safe and which isn't? I've heard other people say that before but haven't really seen a good explanation as to examples of safe vs unsafe.

Thanks again! Happy Easter if you celebrate.

The linked to Enclosure would be fine for many owners, but wrong others. That may sound like an opt out. But GBB's seem to do well in both arboreal & terrestrial enclosures, if the environment is right & they are able to get off the ground & web, then they seem to be happy.

So yes, you can use that size enclosure. Many of my arboreal enclosures are only one inch taller, at 9 inches. Just make sure there are plenty of high points to connect webbing too. Plastic plants, bark etc.

I am unsure about the mesh on those enclosures, as I am unfamiliar with them. The issue with Exo Terra, is that the mesh is very fine & tarantulas have what are called "tarsal claws." These are tiny hooks on the bottom of their feet & these tiny claws can become trapped in fine mesh. A larger mesh is fine, a fine mesh is poor. So maybe someone else who knows these tanks can tell you.

scrambled-meat

The linked to Enclosure would be fine for many owners, but wrong others. That may sound like an opt out. But GBB's seem to do well in both arboreal & terrestrial enclosures, if the environment is right & they are able to get off the ground & web, then they seem to be happy.

So yes, you can use that size enclosure. Many of my arboreal enclosures are only one inch taller, at 9 inches. Just make sure there are plenty of high points to connect webbing too. Plastic plants, bark etc.

I am unsure about the mesh on those enclosures, as I am unfamiliar with them. The issue with Exo Terra, is that the mesh is very fine & tarantulas have what are called "tarsal claws." These are tiny hooks on the bottom of their feet & these tiny claws can become trapped in fine mesh. A larger mesh is fine, a fine mesh is poor. So maybe someone else who knows these tanks can tell you.
Awesome, thank you so much again for the responses! The information is greatly appreciated. Have a good one! c:

Latest posts