• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Would a P. cambridgei be OKAY as, say, a 3rd tarantula?

Would a P. cambridgei make for an okay 3rd T for a beginner keeper?

• Yes but terrestrials, even kinda skittish ones, won't provide much experience for a fast arboreal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would something like a P. cambridgei (Trinidad Chevron Tarantula) make for an okay (even if not ideal) 3rd tarantula for a beginner? My first T will probably be a 3 1/2" or so GBB & my 2nd T will probably be a 1" unsexed A. geniculata or N. chromatus (leaning more towards the Genic). I think the Psalmopoeus genus South American tree-spiders are super cool and kinda like the NW version of Pokies except with less potent (though still more potent than your average NW) venom. Like Pokies though, I hear they can be rather skittish & defensive, especially P. irminia (Venezuelan Sun Tiger Tarantula). I heard P. cambridgei is a little more laid back than the irminia & also doesn't hide away as much but I know they can still move at lightning speed if they feel threatened. Would a P. cambridgei make an okay 3rd T and first foray into arboreals for someone with experience with C. cyaneopubescens & A. geniculata/N. chromatus (which I suppose are a little more on the skittish & sometimes defensive side for NW terrestrials, though they're pretty commonly recommended to beginners) or would it be better to get something like an A. avicularia or C. versicolor that's a little less skittish & calm (though still a little skittish at times) for a first arboreal to give a taste of what keeping tree dwelling arboreals entails? From what I've gathered Avics are a little bit less forgiving of husbandry mistakes, but the Psalmopoeus are faster & more skittish/defensive though perhaps a bit hardier. Any help in making a decision regarding this matter would be much appreciated. Thanks! :⁠-⁠)

Psalmopoeus are often recommended as an introduction to arboreal Ts.
My view has always been get the T you want as long as you are aware of its temperament and treat it with respect.
What would you say the temperament of the P. cambridgei is in your experience (if you've owned any)? On the other arachno-forum one guy said "Really depends on what you feel comfortable with. I got a pair of irminia after keeping a versicolor, and I would recommend keeping an arboreal for long enough to become familiar with how they can react during rehousing before getting an irminia (I haven’t kept cambridgei)." another guy said "I have raised 2 cambridgei from spiderlings, as well as pulcher, irminia, and reduncus. There’s not a difference in care between them, but the cambridgei are definitely out way more, and have an insane feeding response. If you’re one of those people who want to handle (which I would advise against), want to use something to tickle the t out for photos (whatever it is will get attacked), or are generally jumpy around spiders I’d say don’t get Psalmopoeus. On the other hand, they grow fast, are beautiful (IMO), have that great feeding response, and I haven’t seen defensiveness out of mine personally. If you keep other spiders first and don’t have issues with nervousness or anything when they jolt or run, then I think Psalmos could be great for a second or third spider. They can be fast though for sure, and everything is food to them." and then a 3rd guy just straight up said "NO - some people can barely manage slow moving Ts that walk on 2 dimensions! Now you want to add a 3rd dimension. " so I've got some varying responses already.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They are certainly fast and love their food and I'd advise using tongs for maintenance but I never saw any threat poses from mine. I found they prefer to run and hide than attack.
I got slated for buying an OBT as my first T but I survived that first one and now have 3, a juvi and 2 slings. As I said before so long as you know in advance what they are capable of there is no reason why you care for whatever T you want.

meridannight

I don't think it is possible for anybody to tell what tarantula you should get, as a first, second, third, whatever. There are general recommendations because keeping tarantulas carries certain risks and keepers should be educated about and aware of them, and not rush into things they are not ready to handle. Other than that, get the tarantula you like and feel comfortable with keeping. And no-one knows which one that is but yourself. Honesty with self is important here.

I'm one of the guys who started with Old World species and, in fact, with a couple of exceptions now, I only keep Old World tarantulas. I just can't deal with the hair, that thing's outside my personal comfort zone. That's the goal here -- you have to like the animals you have, and you have to feel comfortable with having them. Some of the faster and/or more defensive tarantulas may look beautiful, but it's no good keeping them if the owner is scared of their own spider.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My wife has 2 cambridgei & they, like most of our arboreals are fairly sedentary & happy to sit & allow us to feed, water them etc with no reaction at all. And by comparison to our versicolour, which takes EVERY opportunity it can, to take a walk on the outside of it's enclosure, our other arboreals are positively boring to feed & water.

For me, rehousing is the only potential area where some of the more feisty species can have potential & as long as you are calm, move calmly & steadily & put some thought & logic into what you do, rehousing is not normally an issue. I have even moved some of our more feisty species by simply gently picking the bark they are sitting on up, in my fingers & gently moving them to the new enclosure.

Many of our arboreals are in enclosures that have a small lip around the top. So taking the lid off, even with them millimetres from the top, is not an issue. As they like to tuck into that lip & play invisible.

Far from every old world being temperamental, most are happy to be calm & sedate. And as for what we describe as good beginner species. Ask my daughter about psycho*****, her B hamorii. Not every new world, good beginners species is calm & sedate. Every T has it's own personality.

Get the T you want, learn to be calm & steady moving with it & get to know it. Every T is different & even the most feisty of T's will in general be much calmer if you are.

MidnightArachnids

Tarantula Club Member
I started off with a Poecilotheria when it came to arboreals and then I ended up buying a pair of A. Versicolor (name at the time.)

Now, knowing what I know now.. I would have started with the P. Cambridgei, P. Irminia or some type of Avic. I was excessively nervous with my pokie, But.. I grew into old world arboreals and mostly stayed with them. Some people start off with a S. Cal or H. Mac and they are fine.. but you need to know yourself. Really KNOW yourself. If you are unsure.. stick with a NW arboreal to get a feel.

Research is also key. Being on this forum is great. YouTube is great. Talking to people in person and seeing these Animals in person will also help you understand what you may be comfortable with.

Blackdog

Avicularia avicularia- I have a male and a new female. The male is immature and he so cool and calm. The new female is settling in well and will get her new setup (arboreal) as opposed to the critter keeper she came in but for $40 I got a confirmed FEMALE!!!

Actually, I'm now thinking a P. cambridgei 6" female might well be my very first tarantula. The Oregon dealer who I got my 2 scorpions from, H. arizonensis & P. spinigerus, has a 6" P. cambridgei in stock & a sub-adult S. mesaensis (Arizona Dune Scorpion) which I also want.

Latest posts