• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried

Alejandra.0731

My tarantula is standing very still in the glass.
I’m new to this tarantula pet thing. I got him 5 days ago and I’m worried if something is wrong please help me and let me know if he is okay or not. It’s not moving it is a pink toe trantula.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi there and welcome!

Looks like a juvenile Avicularia avicularia, Guyana pink toe.
Can you post pics if the entire tank/enclosure from the front, side and top, please?

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
You did the right thing joining.
Tarantulas are not the most active of animals.Its normal for them to just sit and do nothing.
Having said that.
It takes a while for a spider to settle in it's new home.The bigger the spider the longer it takes.
Avicularia sp have a little more specific care and housing needs for their well being.
The most important is well ventilated enclosure.You want enclosure with cross ventilation. Ventilation needs to be in place on the sides as long as on top.Top ventilation only is not sufficient .
Second keep the substrate bone dry.Do not mist that much as this combined with poor ventilation is known to be proven Avic killer.You can drip some water on the web for drinking once a week just to give it another option if you have not seen it go down on the water dish but don't go crazy with it.
They normally stay up high so that hide won't be needed and you can remove it.Put the greenery up arround the top end of the cork bark.Have in mind with top opening only enclosure you may end up
Ripping the webbing apart every time you need to open it.Thats not ideal too
Regards Konstantin

Alejandra.0731

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
You did the right thing joining.
Tarantulas are not the most active of animals.Its normal for them to just sit and do nothing.
Having said that.
It takes a while for a spider to settle in it's new home.The bigger the spider the longer it takes.
Avicularia sp have a little more specific care and housing needs for their well being.
The most important is well ventilated enclosure.You want enclosure with cross ventilation. Ventilation needs to be in place on the sides as long as on top.Top ventilation only is not sufficient .
Second keep the substrate bone dry.Do not mist that much as this combined with poor ventilation is known to be proven Avic killer.You can drip some water on the web for drinking once a week just to give it another option if you have not seen it go down on the water dish but don't go crazy with it.
They normally stay up high so that hide won't be needed and you can remove it.Put the greenery up arround the top end of the cork bark.Have in mind with top opening only enclosure you may end up
Ripping the webbing apart every time you need to open it.Thats not ideal too
Regards Konstantin
Thank you so much that helped so much

Konstantin

3 Year Member
You are welcome.
You really want to get better ventilated enclosure for it.Acrylic or plastic is better than glass as its easier to drill holes in but the exo terra nano tall is a good option too.
Regards Konstantin

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to TF.
:beer:

Tarantulas do not move a lot to begin with. They also are more active at night. Some of my T’s I have not seen for weeks....like others said: give it some time to get used to the new house...:)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the pics. You got good advice and info so far.

That enclosure is pretty large for that size spider, plus the decor and setup are not optimal for an avic. Both of these things can lead to an uncomfortable spider.

The keys to keeping an avic happy are a taller enclosure with good cross ventilation, lots of things to attach webbing to up high (fake plants, cork bark, etc) and access to water.

The size of the enclosure can be as small as 3-4x the size of the spider, they are solitary animals that will stay close to their web; they don't need vast spaces to roam.

Avics tend to go up, usually to the too of the enclosure, and will create funnel or hammock-type webs attached to leaves and branches and the side/top of the enclosure.

Do a search for avic enclosure, or look in the Avicularia section here at all the different containers and tanks people use and how the are decorated; you'll see some good examples.

Don't worry. Do your research. Make your T happy.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You’ve received good advice , only thing I’m going to add is don’t look at online care sheets. They’re inaccurate and can potentially be deadly to your T. Highly recommend Tom Moran on YouTube for husbandry advice and ideas for when you get more ( we always get more :))

Latest posts