• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about my new curly hair

Charliekains

3 Year Member
I have just been given a young curly hair for my birthday, it is my first tarantula. She has been feeding fine for a couple of weeks. Then about 10 days ago she closed up her home so now there is just the smallest hole left which she doesn't come out of and will not eat. I read that she is probably ready to molt and it could take a while but I'm worried that it is taking too long and something is wrong. Some advice would be greatly received.
Thank you
P.S. don't know if its a she, just hoping!

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
Don't worry! Sounds like pre molt to me. Some tarantulas stay in pre molt for months after months... Some go on fasts that can last over a year. Tarantulas are strange creatures, we tend to worry about them when they act in a way that is odd to us but normal for them. A good rule of thumb is to only worry if her abdomen starts looking shriveled and dried up, if she is having trouble walking, or there is a milky looking substance leaking from her (that's blood). Once you've had her for some time you'll become accustomed to what is normal and you'll be able to detect when things aren't right.

Charliekains

3 Year Member
Thanks Leah, I have read that pre molt can last for a while. She is looking very fat in the abdomen and is moving around fine so I will try to relax a bit. The funny thing is that the crickets I brought are probably way too big for her now, they just keep growing.
Thanks again for the advice, it's one thing to read books but another thing to get some real time advice from someone that has a bit of experience to put my mind at ease.

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
I totally understand. It's always okay to ask if you're unsure about something and just need some confirmation. Unfortunately, you may start to notice a lot of crickets can go to waste fast... I always buy a specific amount for the number of Ts I have and one or two of them always seems to be in pre molt. Those crickets go to waste if the others won't eat them :rolleyes: But anyway welcome to the hobby and let us know if you've got any more questions!

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I smell a molt coming. Don't worry about her not eating...Ts may go weeks or even months without food before and after a molt.

Charliekains

3 Year Member
photo.JPG
Quick update and follow up question. After 3 weeks she finally molted today, I'm very happy now I got the first one over I will know what to expect next time. My question is if I should take the shed skin out straight away or wait a bit. Her hole is still closed off and I don't really want to disturb her or her home.

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have just been given a young curly hair for my birthday, it is my first tarantula. She has been feeding fine for a couple of weeks. Then about 10 days ago she closed up her home so now there is just the smallest hole left which she doesn't come out of and will not eat. I read that she is probably ready to molt and it could take a while but I'm worried that it is taking too long and something is wrong. Some advice would be greatly received.
Thank you
P.S. don't know if its a she, just hoping!

Hello
Welcome to the forum,and I'm glad the T molted fine. Like Leah said,the T will push out the old skin if its on its way then remove it. Disturbing it now could be bad for the T,the exoskeleton is still soft and it could take from days to weeks to harden depending on the size if the T.

Latest posts