• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

wolf spider babies

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
So my wolf spider had her babies about 2 weeks ago and today she made another egg sack.. is this normal behavior? And being in captivity without a male this egg sack probably isn't going to produce slings I imagine?

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Was her 1st sac viable? My Jumping Spider was wild caught and she produced 3 viable sacs without being with a male again.
yup the first egg sac had about 100 or more babies and today some of the slings were adventurous and the container she was in has fairly large holes... so I imagine I have some houdini spiders free roaming my house lol.. so I had to move all the slings and mom to a container with a mesh lid.. I'm going to give it about another week (according to a google search they leave mom usually around week 3) and release 100's of wolf spider back into the wild.. it's a bitter sweet moment.. I know it's the right thing for the slings but I'll miss them lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
yup the first egg sac had about 100 or more babies and today some of the slings were adventurous and the container she was in has fairly large holes... so I imagine I have some houdini spiders free roaming my house lol.. so I had to move all the slings and mom to a container with a mesh lid.. I'm going to give it about another week (according to a google search they leave mom usually around week 3) and release 100's of wolf spider back into the wild.. it's a bitter sweet moment.. I know it's the right thing for the slings but I'll miss them lol

I covered the air vents with a very fine plastic mesh before the babies emerged. The number of babies get fewer with each sac but don't be surprised to get another sac or 2 from her.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tricocyst,

I am SOOOOOOO jealous!!!
Double clutch: twice as nice.
I particularly like that you will be releasing the instars. May most of them grow up and help destroy the local bug population. Good on ya' mate.
Damn.....I should've nabbed a couple of female monsters when I lived in North Carolina.:mad:

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Tricocyst,

I am SOOOOOOO jealous!!!
Double clutch: twice as nice.
I particularly like that you will be releasing the instars. May most of them grow up and help destroy the local bug population. Good on ya' mate.
Damn.....I should've nabbed a couple of female monsters when I lived in North Carolina.:mad:
oh yes I think they deserve to live the wild life its just sad knowing I have to let them go lol.. might I add I'm shocked at what great mothers the wolf spiders are! The babies that stray from mom are adorable little slings.. can't help but to let it crawl onto my hand and watch it explore :D

Latest posts