• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Wild" wood for enclosure

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
I know someone has experience with using natural - natures products for your enclosure. How do you ensure your T safety?

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
yea you can never be to cautious.. I've heard ways similar to IamKrush.. I've been told to do a cold rinse then a hot soak and let it heat at a minimum of 200 degrees for atleast an hour and follow up in a deep freezer.. very similar to krush's suggestion

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't use cedar or redwood, or any other woods with natural repellent/pesticides. I've never heard of freezing wood, i've read about the baking method various places. 200-250F for 1.5-2 hours or so is what i've read. then take it out let it cool to room temp and you're set.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Don't use cedar or redwood, or any other woods with natural repellent/pesticides. I've never heard of freezing wood, i've read about the baking method various places. 200-250F for 1.5-2 hours or so is what i've read. then take it out let it cool to room temp and you're set.
I think the freezing method is to cool down the wood much faster. I also wonder if a rapid decline in temperature would also prevent the wood from splitting?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think the freezing method is to cool down the wood much faster. I also wonder if a rapid decline in temperature would also prevent the wood from splitting?
possible. i've always used cork bark in my enclosures so i've never had to test this ;)

khatchet

3 Year Member
you just need to bake it no need to freraze after, baking is also much fast only takes about an hour and freazing you would have to go about a week i not longer as many pest can go in to a harbnation for awhile to stand the cold, if the wood is realy thick you may have to back it longer though, also you will want to vent the back area well, it put off a pretty bad smell

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I never heard of the wood breaking from temp shock. But i suppose it could happen
i take it you've never been in the mountains in a deep freeze where the temp drops drastically to sub zeros? There's been many times I've been out hunting and hear trees crack from the cold, sounds a lot like stepping on a stick and having it break. Can't count how many times I've thought the noise was an animal doing just that, but turned out to be a tree cracking.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i take it you've never been in the mountains in a deep freeze where the temp drops drastically to sub zeros? There's been many times I've been out hunting and hear trees crack from the cold, sounds a lot like stepping on a stick and having it break. Can't count how many times I've thought the noise was an animal doing just that, but turned out to be a tree cracking.
I can understand that. I just took that as snow weight and gravity. But im sure extreame cold could cause trees to break. But a what about a piece of wood already dead on the ground?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can understand that. I just took that as snow weight and gravity. But im sure extreame cold could cause trees to break. But a what about a piece of wood already dead on the ground?
it's the sap and moisture in the sap that causes the trees to split and crack in the winter during a deep freeze. Dead wood on the ground wouldn't have that sap and moisture in it.

Latest posts