• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Whoops.....

Booshaka

Ok so I started T keeping 5 months ago. Started with a aphonopelma seemani (costa rican striped knee), then picked up a avicularia avicularia (pink toe) ans was doing great. I never see my pink toe, but it will snag the crickets i put at the entramce of it's funnel quickly. Andways then i snagged my first two slings. A bracypalma hamorii, and a bracypalma smithii. Ok so im like i can this. And then i went and did the stupid thing. My family and roots are from Venezuela amd so i wanted a spider from there. So i went and got me a Psalmopoeus irminia (Venezuelan suntiger) and it is about an inch roughly. Well....nightmare. Day i got it, the transfer was like oh dear god as its speed blew my mind. I finally got it into a catch cup and was able to get it into its new home for now. Well 2 days later I went to feed it, and it like instantly went into offense position. So anyways today i went to mist it, and crap it has made its home on the top rim and is now hiding there. How do i feed and spray it and such now? Im in so over my head on this one. My other T's are like quiet calm posters. This one is like I will consume your soul.

Attachments

• 20181015_184922.jpg
    20181015_184922.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 20181015_184907.jpg
    20181015_184907.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • 20181015_184859.jpg
    20181015_184859.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • 20181015_184931.jpg
    20181015_184931.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
First off...great spider. I have a few of them. Remove the branch from the top of the enclosure and tear down any webbing up there. They like to burrow a little...by the sounds of it the substrate may be too wet. Let it dry out and stop spraying. I keep mine bone dry except overflowing the water dish every week or two.Lean a piece of bark or branches near the bottom and it will stay down there. It will build a dirt curtain like a pokie. Heres a photo ...this is what they like. Use a water dish instead of spraying.
1539655613528882551592947559620.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Follow all of Arachnoclowns' advice! Always!
I feel I can add a few pointers to help you follow it though.
Find a tub/container with a lid , ideally you should be able to close the lid with the tarantulas' enclosure inside. It's always a good idea to work in a tub any time you need to open the lid of the enclosure , if a spider bolts you just close the lid of the large container and let both you and the spider calm down before catching it, this has stopped me from losing quite a few creatures and just knowing it can't escape into the house puts you in a calmer state of mind. You should have the lid of the work tub where you can grab it in a split second if the spider bolts and have catch cups handy.
Then you need to find something long and thin, perhaps somewhat flexible. Open the lid in one place , poke your "stick" through the gap and start tearing down the webbing, by rotating you can sort of winch it in so it ends up wrapped around the stick. Hopefully the T is hiding at the bottom of the enclosure by then otherwise make it move by gently tapping the legs , you're the boss! If it seems agitated wait a bit before removing the lid of the enclosure completely.
If you are going to work on the enclosure intensively it is sometimes easier to let the spider escape into the large tub, remove the enclosure and catch the spider later to put back into the enclosure.
I use a work tub for feeding all my creatures if their enclosures are portable, if nothing else it stops crickets/roaches escaping into the loungeroom when they "jack-in-a-box" back out of a small enclosure.
I hope this helps you make the modifications Arachnoclown suggested and saves you stress in the future.

Nunua

3 Year Member
I use the bottle tactic with my Poecilotheria and surprisingly, with my N. incei gold as she tends to flee upwards. Works like a charm ;)