• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What tarantula do I have??

Mom2BdayBoi

3 Year Member
My boyfriend and I have a tarantula someone gave us but we do not know what kind it is. It looks similar to the chilean rose, but I read those are more rare? Here is a picture of her. She is big and brown, about 3-4" leg span. Here is a photo of her with our baby!

Attachments

• palacebdb.jpg
    palacebdb.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 37
  • bdb.jpg
    bdb.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 34

Mom2BdayBoi

3 Year Member
Ok- cool! Is that the same as a chilean rose? The reason I am asking is because I am building a new cage for her and I want to know it's habitat or what it would like (arboreal etc.)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah that's your typical rose.
Terrestrial, desert habitat. Keep it dry aside from a water bowl, and anywhere from 70-85*

Mom2BdayBoi

3 Year Member
Thanks guys- I guess that rules out a plant in the cage? I really wanted to add one that isn't fake.. Also We have had her in this smallish plastic cage but she doesn't dig at all. She just sits on top of the soil- why is that?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
real plants are a bad idea in tarantula cages. They can create harmful toxins, and hurt the T . also its difficult to find one(plant) that has the same requirements as the T.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks guys- I guess that rules out a plant in the cage? I really wanted to add one that isn't fake.. Also We have had her in this smallish plastic cage but she doesn't dig at all. She just sits on top of the soil- why is that?
You could try adding more substrate and see if she will start to burrow (or make a pre-started burrow for her and see if she takes to it). A lot of Rosea's just don't burrow in captivity, so don't sweat it (plus it's always nice to get to see your T's) :) It would be very difficult to find a plant that will do well in such a dry tank...and the ones that would be ok, wouldn't really be safe for the T ie: cactus'. I think I have heard of people putting an aloe vera plant in with a Rosie, but personally I would just go get some nice looking silk plants.

Latest posts