• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What substrate?

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
Just wondering what substrate everyone likes, and why. I use coco fiber for my b. Smithi. cause I dont know much about any other substrates

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Coco fiber and nothing else for all 55 tarantulas, it is a safe option and I'm not into all that mixing crap.

If you want an alternative, look into top soil (soil used for filling holes), the cheapest one you can find.

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
Just wondering what substrate everyone likes, and why. I use coco fiber for my b. Smithi. cause I dont know much about any other substrates
I use the cheapest topsoil from Home Depot mixed 50/50 with peat moss.
Pros: holds moisture well, packs down well for burrowers, little prep work, super cheap
Cons: could contain herbicides or pesticides, heavy, peat moss can be a bit dusty, some bags can have a lot of sticks and wood chips

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Coco fibre mainly brought from poundland last summer. I also add in some, about 25% Komodo tropical terrain as it holds a lot of moisture & then if it's a desert species I sprinkle some Komodo coconut terrain on top, to give it a dry surface. The Komodo terrain I buy from my local The Range, but I have also seen blocks of tropical terrain in Wilko's.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Topsoil for me. $2 per bag and never had an issue.
The topsoil holds a surprising amount of moisture. The first time I used it the soil was moist out of the bag. I used it anyways thinking it would dry up quickly. After 2 weeks and almost no progress I dried some and did a rehouse.

Stat

3 Year Member
I have used just plain fine coco blocks so far I do want to make a bio tank at some point like I have for my ball python but will need a species of spider for that. Thinking a old world type not sure which yet though.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have used just plain fine coco blocks so far I do want to make a bio tank at some point like I have for my ball python but will need a species of spider for that. Thinking a old world type not sure which yet though.
If you like Ts that would do well in a bioactive set up and are great webbers and often out I would recommend any of the chilobrachys genus that's my personal opinion I'm sure others will have good suggestions too :)