• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What sex is my 3"+ p. metallica?

cshui

Hey! This is my first time posting on this forum, but I'm having a notoriously hard time getting a good molt to sex for this specimen. Any guesses on sex from this ventral image?

Attachments

• IMG-8169.jpg
    IMG-8169.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome and feel free to more formally introduce yourself in the introduction area. As for sexing, I will leave that up to the more educated, although there is an excellent sexing guide on this forum by Plessey.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So is there a big difference between sexing a tarantula live vs it's molt? I mean besides the molt tending to be flatter. Shouldn't the determining parts be on both. Just curious.

x_raphael_xx

So is there a big difference between sexing a tarantula live vs it's molt? I mean besides the molt tending to be flatter. Shouldn't the determining parts be on both. Just curious.
It's more obvious on the molt, as the female has a 'flap' between the booklungs.
Ventrally its more of an educated guess, as a newbie myself, its difficult to tell the difference. I would have guessed male from the above photo, but after looking closer I realise I was looking at the apparent notch in the hair, and missed the nice straight line.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
While there are aspects of that pic that indicates female, the anterior book lung spacing being closer, and the "dot" possibly suggest male. Some say dorsal sexing pokies is more accurate than ventral; obviously sexing via exuvia is most accurate unless emboli are present allowing an immediate determination.

I will not hazard a guess on this go round.

However, I will offer a good read on pokies in general:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Very interesting reading, thank you. My first pokie is arriving tomorrow, p.ornata :)
You must like to jump into the deep end of the pool!!!
P ornata is probably one of the largest and "least friendly" you could have started with... if jumping in as you are, I would have recommend you start with P regalis or P metallica to break your potential fall.

Either way, I would plan my housing schedule wisely to limit the number of interactions you need to have with an adult ornata.

Last edited:

x_raphael_xx

P ornata is probably one of the largest and "least friendly" you could have started with... if jumping in as you are, I would have recommend you start with P regalis or P metallica to break your potential fall.

Either way, I would plan my housing schedule wisely to limit the number of interactions you need to have with an adult ornata.
Its 3cm at the moment.
I have a large slider on order from tarantula cribs, which I have earmarked as its permanent home once it out grows its temporary enclosure. I'm planning on getting away with 1 rehouse. (2 if you include its arrival)
I am in no way underestimating this T!

Latest posts